Trailer crashed, Namibia

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Trailer crashed, Namibia

We recently borrowed a friends home made trailer for a trip to Namibia. All was going well until day 6 when this happened:

On a straight but corrugated section of gravel road between Betta and Sesriem we were doing 60-70km/h at the time when there was a crash, all i saw behind me was dust and a trailer that was at 90 degrees to the horizon.

Turns out that the bolt on the leaf spring that holds it to the chassis must have snapped as it was a nyloc nut and they just don't work loose. When the bolt broke the axle moved backwards and the axle was held for a short time by the spring moving backward on the rear guide. The tire then caught the chassis and flipped the trailer on its side.

Arrows point to where the bolt was that failed. Where the tire caught the chassis (and burst) and the bent axle.

The trailer bent the tow hitch slightly but separated and was hanging on the chain. The axle bent in the accident otherwise I would have had it on the road again. Anyway luckily I was able to cobble it back together and limp to a nearby farm house where we got in touch with a workshop who organised to have a new axle brought down from Windhoek and we were on the road again. Actual damage to the trailer was mainly to a bull-bar type thing on the front corners of the trailer and the kitchen box that was toast. But it was just a bolt on unit. The tent base was destroyed but the tent itself has minor damage. Lots of clips were bust but chassis was straight and all the slides inside still worked.

In better days:

When the engineering guy who did the repair made several observations:
    -The remaining bolt on the leaf spring on the opposite side was about 30% worn through. This was likely to have been the cause of teh other bolt to break. So check your bolts and possibly sleeve them. The chassis brackets were wearing the bolts. The bolts had done +5000km of bad gravel roads.
    -The clearances around the tyres were too small, meaning that any movement on the axle means the tyre catches the chassis.
    -The owner of the trailer mentioned that he had wanted to put a strap on the axle to keep it in place if a spring broke, that would have helped in this case.

P.S. Lots of people stopped to offer help and for that we are very grateful. One chap in particular from Kraaifontein helped me right the trailer after I changed the wheel and re-attached the axle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0276.JPG 
Views:	5879 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	223598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg 
Views:	5843 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	223600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0277mod.jpg 
Views:	7146 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	223601  
    Last edited by Biggles; 2013/07/14 at 12:46 AM.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Default Trailer crashed, Namibia

You took an X5 off tar!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    You took an X5 off tar!
    Why not

Lucky no one got hurt !!!
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

X5 preformed beautifully!! The Toyota Hilux in the group developed an electrical fault and returned home with no lights except for the hazard working. The landrover got a hole in its turbo pipe and needed to be repaired with a beer can and some zip ties. The toyota lost 1 tyre and the landrover 2. BMW no problems.

The BMWs digital stability program detects that there is a trailer plugged into the wiring loom and adjusts its program to compensate for trailer behavior. It is possible that this intervened at the time of the incident. All we felt was a tug (and heard the crash). And with our 18 month old on the back seat we were very grateful the car did not go over either!!
    Last edited by Biggles; 2013/07/14 at 02:58 AM.

Sjoe, di is altyd jammer as mens sulke teespoed kry. Bly julle het niks oorgekom nie.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Glad all were ok and no one hurt.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Gland nothing real serious happened! This is scary stuff!

There is more to trailer maintenance than just checking and doing the bearings and tightening the wheel nuts, especially if you are going to do rough roads. Bolts, brakes, pap leaf springs and shot shocks on the trailer. Bad roads with a heavy trailer can quickly tire the leaf springs and shocks and I have had both springs and shocks replaced on the Venter when the trailer was 3 years old and having had done about 40 000 kms. Keep in mind there are reasons why certain trailers are cheaper than others....one being cheaper inferior components are being used.

Some trailer manufactures are using mild steel bolts to attach the leaf springs. I have broken this bolt on the road between Walvis and Sesriem. Luckily we had a "pitstop" by the road side I noticed something wrong. I am in the habit of checking bearing heat and general condition of my trailer during every "pitstop"

The opposite bolt also snapped in Zambia without me noticing. On preparation for a trip down to SA and only after close inspection I noticed that the other mild steel bolt has snapped and it was replaced in time. I have now replaced all the bolts on the Venter Off-Roader with decent bolts. Just yesterday I got in underneath the Venter trailer to check all is ok.

Which reminds me I need to check the new Metalian Maxi before I tow it back to SA. I am sure all is tight and only high tensile bolts were used but will make sure.
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2013/07/14 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post

Which reminds me I need to check the new Metalian Maxi before I tow it back to SA. I am sure all is tight and only high tensile bolts were used but will make sure.
    Quickly checked, the Metalian has a bolt rating 8.8 which if I do understand the classification correctly, is a high tensile bolt thus confidence that it will not wear or shear as what happened on my Venter 2.5t braked axle.
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2013/07/14 at 09:25 AM.

Not the first trailer to be claimed by the C14...

Almost everytime I drive to swakop I find a trailer next to the road, axle busted or wheel off etc.

Glad you guys ok.

Bolts were high tensile. Cannot remember the rating now and given the bolt to the owner. That same day we saw 1 broken weld spring mount, 1 broken spring, someone doing something with the bearings/ hub and a rolled trailer from previous December. So 4 trailers on one road. Not for sissies.
    Last edited by Biggles; 2013/07/14 at 10:09 AM.

The correct rating for this bolt is 8.8. High tensile (as you find with capscrews) are rated 12.9. Ordinary bolts you generally find in hardware stores are unrated or rated 4.8. This rating number is stamped onto the head of the bolt.

I'm not 100% sure, but warn against fitting a 12.9 bolt, because while it may make sense that a higher tensile rating is better, you may actually want some softness because the application in this instance is not in tensile strength.

This is a critical area to check on your trailer because this small failure has a huge consequence.

It's not possible to fit bigger bolts because the eye of the spring and the size of the bush are pre-determined. Sleaving the bolt is a good idea.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

@Bertie,thanks for that useful info,I think Heinz does not go half way when doing something.
    @ Biggles I did almost the same route and there near Sesriem ,man those corrigations!
    Lucky nothing wrong when I got home,except a silly mistake by me.Did not tighten the jockey wheel properly,buts that's another story.
    Yes before and during a trip,one must always keep checking like Berties does.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

glad you guys are okay !!

Quote Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
    @Bertie, thanks for that useful info, I think Heinz does not go half way when doing something.
    Agree, I have also checked and all the bolts on my Metalian are 8/8.
    Lets just be clear the incidents I was referring to were from my "old" trailer and not the new Metalian Maxi

I gathered that.Thanks.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Default Metalian Maxi - probleem met bout in bladveer

Heinz, ek het 'n Metalian Maxi en verlede week by Sesriem het iemand wat na die waentjie kom kyk het opgemerk dat die een bout los is. Toe die instandhoudingsbestuurder van die oord die bout uithaal, was dit middeldeur gebreek. Eergister op die N7 tussen Springbok en Bitterfontein by 'n padwerke-stop het ek weer alles nagegaan en ontdek toe dat die bout aan die ander kant ook middeldeur gebreek het. Gelukkig was die twee gebreekte helftes steeds in die gat en is albei opgemerk voordat ons in 'n ongeluk betrokke was (en ek het die afgelope 3 weke 7 200 km met die Metalian gery deur NamibiŽ en Botswana!) Ek het die Metalian nuut by julle gekoop in Desember 2012 en die merk op die boute is M TP 8 8.

Kwas is joune "Oupa sin WP" ?
    Watter boute het gebreek ? Die bladvere sin ?
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

Ja, my nommerplaat is OUPA SN-WP. Eers het die bout van die bladveer aan die linkerkant gebreek op 08 Julie in die omgewing van Sesriem en die regterkant se een op 11 Julie net na Springbok. Ek moet dankie sÍ aan die onbekende persoon wat by Sesriem 'n nota op die wa gelos het om my te wys op die gebreekte bout. Is dit dalk jy? Die Metalian het sowat 10 000 km afgelÍ die afgelope 7 maande waarvan 200 km grondpad was in Botswana en sowat 1 000 km grondpad in NamibiŽ

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Agree, I have also checked and all the bolts on my Metalian are 8/8.
    Lets just be clear the incidents I was referring to were from my "old" trailer and not the new Metalian Maxi
    Ek het 'n Metalian Maxi en albei boute wat die bladvere vashou het morsaf gebreek. Hulle is gemerk TP 8 8. Sien ook my inskrywing vroeŽr vandag.
    Last edited by Kwas; 2013/07/14 at 10:46 PM.

Kwas, was there signs of wear on the bolt or had it just snapped?

Any chance of some pictures? I will try and get some pictures of the surviving bolt on our trailer.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast