Td5 - Serious Diesel Knock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Td5 - Serious Diesel Knock

So

I have a serious diesel knock eminating from the front cylinder of my Td5 90

I have had it for a couple of months (the knock) but it seems louder now..gave her a listen with a long screwdriver - no mistake..

It is definitely a loud abnormal detonation knock on the front cylinder only..Not so noticable when cold - very noisy when hot..

So I would gather the best course of action for now would be to swap the injectors to hear if the sound travels with it? - and obviously to stop driving it..

If it is not the injector - what do you guys recon I am in for?
    14' Land Cruiser 76 V8 (DETOUR WP)

Swambo
    09 Audi TT 2.0 TSFI Manual
    68' Beetle 1500

Bumpity bump?

Swambo
    68' Beetle 1500

Maybe have a Indy put in on diagnostic's.
    Should be able to tell you immediately if it's injectors?
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Quote Originally Posted by Crips View Post
    Maybe have a Indy put in on diagnostic's.
    Should be able to tell you immediately if it's injectors?
    That is the strange thing!

The cylinder balances are all within spec at idle, I had
    it measured around a month ago..

Within -5 / +5 range
    Last edited by Hardebak; 2013/07/10 at 08:23 PM.

Swambo
    68' Beetle 1500

Are there any opinions from our Td5 / diesel fundi's out there?

What will the cause of diesel knock be if it is NOT caused by the injector? / is
    it more likely to be the injector on a Td5?

Landy is just shy of 200k km's and is remapped..

I think I have been driving with the knock for around 10 000 km's (not knowing that the knock was a knock)

The head was of at 190k km's because I thought the knock might have been lifter / follower noise. Replacement of these made no difference whatsoever

The engine was still in great shape then, compression was fine on the 4 cylinders that could be tested - including the knocking one..

Thanks in advance!

Swambo
    68' Beetle 1500

Have you tried using 2SO?
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to camelman For This Useful Post:

Have you checked for oil in the ecu connectors?
    It's a long shot, but maybe the signals are all messed up and injection timing and quantity is wrong as a result

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

+1

You've done diags, compression and the head, so I would also first start checking signals. And first I would always go back to an old MSB Ecu (std as they get) to eliminate any funny mapping issues / ECU issues.

I've recently come across quite a few "new" injector harness failures as well. Bad quality.

Maybe some of the better engine fundis can help us on possible - timing chain or tensioner failure in this case?
    Driven by passion
    Jakes 071 9855 258

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMad View Post
    +1

You've done diags, compression and the head, so I would also first start checking signals. And first I would always go back to an old MSB Ecu (std as they get) to eliminate any funny mapping issues / ECU issues.

I've recently come across quite a few "new" injector harness failures as well. Bad quality.

Maybe some of the better engine fundis can help us on possible - timing chain or tensioner failure in this case?
    Discomad

timing chain stretch or impending tensioner failure would impact on all cylinders regarding the knock.

My guess is overfuelling because of a bad o-ring or not properly seated copper washer between head and injector.

Also the wiring harness issue would again manifest itself over more then one cylinder.

Just my 2c worth.

kind regards

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Maybe a smallend bearing?

Thanks for the input all!

Injector harnass was replaced recently - no change ( I did have the oil in harnass problem)

I have also ruled out bearing noise because when you take your foot off the accelerator on a downhill the engine runs very quietly - definitely injector / combustion related.

I did not think it could be due to injector o-ring / copper washers! That I think might be hitting the nail on the head because I had them replaced and I am almost certain the knock started soon thereafter.

I will take the injectors out this weekend and have a gander.

Will it hurt anything to swap two injectors just to test and hear if the sound travels?

Thanks all!!

Swambo
    68' Beetle 1500

Do not forget that you will have to re-programme your computer as to the new location of the moved injectors.

You can swop them out with no ill effect but make sure you write all the injectors numbers down so you know which pot they came from.

You do not mention which motor it is, ie 10P, 18P etc. The black injectors are very prone to dying for no good reason other than they can when you take them out.

Bad "O" rings, you normally start getting oil dilution with diesel getting into the sump. Copper washers can cause blow by next to the injector which can also cause burning and damaging the seat of the injector but not over fueling.

Your system sounds like an over fuel problem. The T5 injectors are 2 stage injectors and when they get hot you could be getting leakage and therefore excessive fueling. Is there any excessive smoke when you are under power, this could also indicate a bad fueling situation.

Have a good day.
    Have a happy day and keep smiling.
    Do not follow me, I am also lost!
    Ham Call Sign ZR5VW
    1958 Series 1 109" Truck Cab (Gone to a new home)
    1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon (GONE TO GERMANY)

Quote Originally Posted by Landy Nut View Post
    Do not forget that you will have to re-programme your computer as to the new location of the moved injectors.

You can swop them out with no ill effect but make sure you write all the injectors numbers down so you know which pot they came from.

You do not mention which motor it is, ie 10P, 18P etc. The black injectors are very prone to dying for no good reason other than they can when you take them out.

Bad "O" rings, you normally start getting oil dilution with diesel getting into the sump. Copper washers can cause blow by next to the injector which can also cause burning and damaging the seat of the injector but not over fueling.

Your system sounds like an over fuel problem. The T5 injectors are 2 stage injectors and when they get hot you could be getting leakage and therefore excessive fueling. Is there any excessive smoke when you are under power, this could also indicate a bad fueling situation.

Have a good day.
    Hi Landy nut

It is an 18P (Green injectors??) - 2002 model.

I have NO oil dilution and NO excessive smoke when under load

Performance is great / fuel economy fantastic

I strongly feel that something has gone wrong with the injector when the washers and O-rings were done but it really baffles me that the diag. is not picking up an imbalance

I am will take them out tonight and report back.

Thanks!

Swambo
    68' Beetle 1500

Electrically you not picking up an imbalance, on the diagnostic, but are you in fact got a fuel delivery problem?

I suspect the washes or a faulty injector nozzle

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Have you checked the ecu connector? It only takes a month or so to come back.
    Next thing - check fuel pressure under load. Pump might be on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Baben View Post
    Have you checked the ecu connector? It only takes a month or so to come back.
    Next thing - check fuel pressure under load. Pump might be on the way

Hi Baben

I have been keeping an eye on the plug ever since I had the landy - I have never had oil in the ECU plug - only ever in the plug going into the head..replaced the harnass and has been spotless since..

I also replaced the turbo and the fuel pump when the head was off

Haydn

Did not consider that injector nozzle problems wont indicated on diagnostics.

I do think then it must either be that or the washers.

Will take them out tomorrow night - only got back from work now, will upload some pics of my findings!

Swambo
    68' Beetle 1500

Default Diesel knock

Hi Hardebak

You mentioned that this occured since you replace the "o" rings and copper washers. Just a thought you might want to check or have checked your bump heights again , one or more of your injectors might just be out of synch.

Take Care
    Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)

Peter Street

In that case I would certainly redo the washers. Have a close look if the seating area is clean and flat inside the head. Clean everything with carb cleaner or similar. And pls use 300tdi washers, they do work better.

Swop them around if you want.

It is the exception where injector coding will give you problems. I've swopped ECU's around too many times... Record the codes if you like so you have it if necessary.

For curiosity sake pls check the plunger distances before you disassemble. Would be funny if one is set way out or something...
    Driven by passion
    Jakes 071 9855 258

Peter types faster than me...
    Driven by passion
    Jakes 071 9855 258

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMad View Post
    In that case I would certainly redo the washers. Have a close look if the seating area is clean and flat inside the head. Clean everything with carb cleaner or similar. And pls use 300tdi washers, they do work better.

Swop them around if you want.

It is the exception where injector coding will give you problems. I've swopped ECU's around too many times... Record the codes if you like so you have it if necessary.

For curiosity sake pls check the plunger distances before you disassemble. Would be funny if one is set way out or something...
    Great - will pick up the parts tomorrow..Really hope this solves it!!

What exactly does the plunger height adjustment do?

Can you venture a quick explanation for how to set them? (I have a pretty good idea of how to do everything but that )

Thanks!

Swambo
    68' Beetle 1500

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast