Another breaking....this is getting out of hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another breaking....this is getting out of hand.

Hello guys,

So we had another break-in in our street yesterday mid morning. In fact 3 breaking in a space of 30mins. When ADT and Police came the guys had gone. Crazy damage they left....

Now we (neighbors) met for an urgent security review meeting last night and our street being a crescent/close, the idea of "closing it off" and put 2 gates with access control (remote and intercom) was mooted and heavily supported.

Now we need to find quotes. But before than I wanna ask the experts.

What are the laws governing "closing" of roads in a neighbor hood. Do we have to seek permission of approval from the powers than be? anyone with info, or someone who has done it before please help.

This is urgent. We have had 5 break-ins this year. The street has just 20 houses, so statistically 25% have been broken into. Not good stats! And the recent case they were armed.

Regards
    "One of life's constants: If it's got boobs or wheels it will give you trouble" - rodneykdc

Speak to someone at the town council or the relevant roads authority.

Go to a neighbor hood close by who has done that, and ask the security who's in charge then contact them i'm sure they will be helpful, I Know you are in midrand but in centurion there are plenty of neighborhoods like that.

Drive down Lenchen in centurion just past builders over the highway towards the centurion mall on your right.

In Hendrik vervoerd on your left towards the mall on the crossing where that church and the Medic center is there is another one.

Strangest thing is I read somewhere that Thursday mornings are most common time for break-ins.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

We lived in a cul-de-sac and wanted to do the same thing. We were 60 odd households that was set out like a complex, but not a complex if that makes sense.
    The short answer is no.
    We had 2 residents in city council that tried to help the process through, but to no avail.
    That was in Zilleville, South Peninsula municipality, not sure if it differs from area to area.
    To argue with a person that has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Talk to www.streetsafe.co.za . They know all the ins-and-outs.
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    Go to a neighbor hood close by who has done that, and ask the security who's in charge then contact them i'm sure they will be helpful, I Know you are in midrand but in centurion there are plenty of neighborhoods like that.

Drive down Lenchen in centurion just past builders over the highway towards the centurion mall on your right.

In Hendrik vervoerd on your left towards the mall on the crossing where that church and the Medic center is there is another one.
    Thanks man, best advise so far.
    "One of life's constants: If it's got boobs or wheels it will give you trouble" - rodneykdc

Quote Originally Posted by W3771M View Post
    Talk to www.streetsafe.co.za . They know all the ins-and-outs.
    Useful information there. Will contact them.

My Brother lives in Umhalanga
    They also broke in there yesterday and stole TV, laptop and even broke his safe out of the wall

As for closing the street from what I hear closing a cul da sac is reasonably easy as long as all the owners on the street agrees
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2013/06/10 at 07:35 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Strangest thing is I read somewhere that Thursday mornings are most common time for break-ins.
    True, because Thursday is 'maid's day off' ...

Default From Greece

Veneficus, are you from Greece
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Renier.deJongh View Post
    Veneficus, are you from Greece
    No, he is from 'Cutnpastetonia' ...

Very often these house breakers move from yard to yard, they dont simply walk down the road, ia closung off a street as effective as proper security at home?
    I somehow fint think so.

Is Thursdays your refuse collection day?

We tried to close off our cresent in Doornpoort Prtoria but the council used the excuse that we can't close it because it blocks the emergency services like ambulance and fire brigade.
    Hope you get better results.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
    Very often these house breakers move from yard to yard, they dont simply walk down the road, ia closung off a street as effective as proper security at home?
    I somehow fint think so.
    closing off a street compliments home security. The thing is to make it difficult for these guys to gain access to your property. Its difficult to understand, until they break into your home and you have to deal with them.

It does differ between areas, but in most cases it is very difficult to close a street these days. Good luck and keep us informed!

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Gives them time to take your goods to Cash Crusaders on the Friday and stock up on drugs for the weekend...

You need to have more than 80% buy in from the community to close it off, that is the rule of thumb if you fall under JHB council. Signed documents by all residents who are in favour. You then need to have pedestrian access as you may not restrict foot traffic but a turn style stops anyone trying to get something big out.
    Check with your local SAPS station they usually have a representative who sits on the committee for closures in their area and they can advise further

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your break-in.All too common and very frustrating. Its a long process to get a road closure. In addition to getting written approval from the residents you will need to make an application to the Council (they have specific forms for this - restriction of access) and they may also request you do a traffic study to determine the effects of the closure on the surrounding road network if any. You will need to re-apply every 2 years for the closure.We have done a few of these in Pretoria. PM me if you need more assistance.

Prado 120 4.0
    Jimny A/T
    GL500

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast