botswana help needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default botswana help needed

I am new to the forum and need some Botswana advice. We are 2 people wanting to go to Botswana instead of Kruger this year for the main purpose of being in the bush/wildlife and would love to go to okavango delta.

I don't know if we should self drive (still an amateur 4x4 guy) we did however conquer the southern parts of Mozambique

Or if we should drive to a lodge stay there for a week and take the guided drives from there, or fly into Maun and do a guided trip. we plan on Oct/Nov for about 5 - 8 days. How does Chobe compare to Okavango close to Maun?

Which companies is good for guided safari's/lodges? and do's and donts please

Hello and welcome to the forum.

What is your budget? Flying into Maun and doing a guided trip will be expensive - as a guide, Oddballs Camp (the cheapest fly-in lodge in the Okavango) sells at nearly $400pppn in October, $320pppn in November. And air transfers are around $140pp each way. US dollars

If you don't want to camp, then it is going to be expensive. Botswana has no equivalent of SANParks self-catering cottages like there is in Kruger, its really either self-catering camping (you must be self-sufficient, only water available in the campsites - no shops, fuel etc) or fully inclusive lodges.

You can get away with staying in say Maun and doing day trips into the delta and Moremi, but it isn't quite the same.

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Hi MariusF

Read my report at http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=95464.

No reason not to self drive. Most of Botswana has good roads and you only need to go on tracks if you really go looking for. Even then, most of it is sand track and with some common sense you don't need much 4x4 skills.

With a bit of planning around fuel etc, you should not have an issue. Only remember to consider the rain season if you are planning to go to the Delta.

Rather plan on going to Kasane. Its a much better destination.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

We spent 10 days in Kasane, in May. STUNNING !!

Senyati kamp is very affordable, and a lot of animal life.

but than again, there a LOT of stunning venues in Botswana

Agree, go for camping at Elephant Sands, may be 2 - 3 days, then to Senyati - 3-5 days.

You can go on your own for the day in Chobe and also for a sunset cruise on the chobe river. Nice and lots of wild animals from the boat -

Give Simo a call 00267 72537162 or look at www.armbushsafaris.com
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Yes, for a first time visitor to Botswana Kasane certainly rivals the Delta, and as Chris and Elize say, Elephant Sands / Senyati combination makes it very affordable. All you have to pay is park entry fees and you also have the option of doing guided trips into the park from one of the operators in town. As well as a boat cruise of course (a MUST DO).

While on the subject of Senyati, Pangolin Photo Safaris have a superb elephant bunker there (a ground level hide by the waterhole) which you have free use of if you do a boat cruise with them - ok they are more expensive than anyone else but their boat is incredible, and you get to use their expertise, cameras and lenses

www.pangolinphoto.com

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Quote Originally Posted by andyrag View Post
    Yes, for a first time visitor to Botswana Kasane certainly rivals the Delta, and as Chris and Elize say, Elephant Sands / Senyati combination makes it very affordable. All you have to pay is park entry fees and you also have the option of doing guided trips into the park from one of the operators in town. As well as a boat cruise of course (a MUST DO).

While on the subject of Senyati, Pangolin Photo Safaris have a superb elephant bunker there (a ground level hide by the waterhole) which you have free use of if you do a boat cruise with them - ok they are more expensive than anyone else but their boat is incredible, and you get to use their expertise, cameras and lenses

www.pangolinphoto.com
    Yes quite correct,my mother did a 5 day boat come game drive trip with them and she says it was an experience of a life time.Pity the bunker was not complete then,but I will take her back to do this one more time.She is 86 now the "old duck" and still going strong.

thank you for all the advise, we however decided to do only the southern part - so new advise please We want to enter close to Gaborone and want to drive perhaps to central kalahari,
    which places can you suggest for nice wildlife in the southern parts of Botswana?

Will they allow you in if your bakkie doesn't have number-plates yet?

we are looking at more budget conscious chalets, a limited time and main purpose being wildlife. do you/can you self drive in the day like in kruger?

any help would be appreciated

Kevin and Michelle Heyes
    [/SIGPIC]
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk

I will be very interested if you get this right. I have been going to Bots for years and have not seen this type of accommodation in the South

As Hylton said above, that kind of thing doesn't really exist in the area. I have sent you a PM, hopefully we can be of some assistance. But also, getting bookings in the park for october on this short notice may be a bit difficult.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Theres no reason for not to drive on your self.
    But, as a newbie I would say don't do CKGR on your frist trip to Botswana.

Its really difficult to give you a good advice,
    specially as they try to pile off selfdrivers at Chobe .

On the other side October / November is really a short period of time.

If you do not really want to camping, why don't you consider going to Kgalagadi. They have nice camping tents and you do not have to cross the border if you are worried about the paper registration. It is part of SANPARKS and I think you can also use your wildcard. Just a suggestion.
    Erich Visser
    2015 Suzuki GV 2.4 m/t 40mm lift and Bash Plates
    2015 Off Trax Outplay Trailer
    2006 Mercedes A170 (Swambo's)
    1996 Mazda Magnum 2600 D/C 4x4 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ErichV View Post
    If you do not really want to camping, why don't you consider going to Kgalagadi. They have nice camping tents and you do not have to cross the border if you are worried about the paper registration. It is part of SANPARKS and I think you can also use your wildcard. Just a suggestion.
    That's a very good suggestion

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

They might be disappointed. Did you check availability?

Subscribed

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    They might be disappointed. Did you check availability?
    No I haven't, but they are only 2 people so no school children and I don't think they are teachers so going OUT of season won't really be a problem.
    Erich Visser
    2015 Suzuki GV 2.4 m/t 40mm lift and Bash Plates
    2015 Off Trax Outplay Trailer
    2006 Mercedes A170 (Swambo's)
    1996 Mazda Magnum 2600 D/C 4x4 (Sold)

For pure wildlife, I don't think there's a better place than the delta. But that depends on what you want to see. We're wildlife nuts and are willing to spend 10 hours or more every day to go game driving. We just came back from 18 days in Moremi and it delivered big time. For us, there is no way we can do what we want to do somewhere else. And we tried in a lot of parks and countries. But that's the way we look at it.

SAN parks are nice and comfortable. We did Kruger, the north, after Moremi and felt unhappy most of the time. Tarred roads and fenced off camp sites are just not for us.

If you really want to experience wildlife, just go Moremi for at least a few days. Sleep in a tent and hope for an elephant or some lions to share the site with you. At least a few days at one site to learn what's going on. Going on meaning: are the lions there? Any leopard kills? Any cheetahs with cubs around? Etc.

... just realize I really, really want to go back ...

Whatever you do, Botswana is a great country to visit and don't worry about the 4x4 driving

Quote Originally Posted by ErichV View Post
    The kgalagdi is full No new peeps will be allowed till 2280. By order Park Management.
    2006 Discovery D3 V8
    89 DEFENDER V8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast