Amsterdam to Barberton

Default Amsterdam to Barberton

Hi

I'm planning a trip to Kruger from Durban and wanted information on the road between Amsterdam and Barberton, especially the short stretch on the R541.

See the attached map.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    red wine and nature are my hobbies

I drove that road about 2 years ago last, in the dark, but it should be fine. Was one of the better roads then. Certainly nothing to worry about with a 4x4.

Why not go through Swazi though? I went up as far as Big Bend the a few months back, and that's the route I will be taking in September. Far shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks Bruce
    I want to do the return trip in one day, so would rather avoid "temperamental" border control officials...
    red wine and nature are my hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by ralton View Post
    Hi

I'm planning a trip to Kruger from Durban and wanted information on the road between Amsterdam and Barberton, especially the short stretch on the R541.

See the attached map.

Thanks
    Traveled that road a couple times the last month, it has recently been resurfaced and in good condition. No problems.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

Thanks Bruce
    I want to do the return trip in one day, so would rather avoid "temperamental" border control officials...
    Ok, but Swazi border isn't exactly Beitbridge. You'd have to spend quite a few hours at each border to make the Badplaas route quicker.

Good luck. Which camps you going to?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Ok, but Swazi border isn't exactly Beitbridge. You'd have to spend quite a few hours at each border to make the Badplaas route quicker.

Dont be so sure, it is Africa after all, I have been stuck in a queue for over an hour at the Swazi border when there was only one official on duty and she decided to take her tea break as well, this was on the South African side at Jeppes Reef.

You win some you lose some, personally I dont go through Swaziland anymore as it never really saves me much time.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

[QUOTE=ralton;1702548]Hi

hi Ralton
    Amesterdam to Barberton is relatively easy going. (2.5 hours) Your map is fine and all roads are tarred. Once you meet up with the R40 T-junction to R38 you turn left to Nelspruit and not right to Barberton to go towards Kruger Park. (Depending on gate you want to enter). Are you coming up via Pongola - Piet Retief (All the major roadworks are now complete on that road) There are shorter ways via Empangeni etc but turns and off ramps can get a person confused. Durban to Nelspruit is about 8 to 9 hours depending on comfort break stops and then you still need to get to your Kruger park camp site. Suggest you leave very early.
    By the way we took the Galela border route via Swazi and it took much longer.
    Regards
    Last edited by MikevR; 2013/06/14 at 12:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

[QUOTE=MikevR;1703090]
    Hi

hi Ralton
    Amesterdam to Barberton is relatively easy going. (2.5 hours) Your map is fine and all roads are tarred. Once you meet up with the R40 T-junction to R38 you turn left to Nelspruit and not right to Barberton to go towards Kruger Park. (Depending on gate you want to enter).
    Regards
    Amsterdam to Barberton should be 2 hours ( to Nelspruit its 2.5 Hours ). If going into Kruger at Malelane or Komatipoort then you must turn right towards Barberton and take the Louws Creek road ( R38 ) to the N4.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

The Swaziland route, although shorter, takes much longer than the Barberton - Amsterdam route. Those thousands of 60 k/h zones in Swazi drove me nuts.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Default Coal Trucks

The road is not to bad just watch out for the goal trucks. I lost 2 windscreens because of them. So keep your distance behind them and overtake like a bat out of hell

Toyota Fortuner 4.0L 4X4
    AKA - TUNA