Letele Pass in the Snow - Page 8

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

you dont need lockers, traction is all you need, might be a nice to have but not essential. Tyres on the other hand I recon 33s are still a bit small, especially on the landies, they took some hard hits on the diffs and steering bars.
    3.6 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    XRC front stubby
    XRC back bumper with tyre carrier and duel Jerry can holders.
    XRC Flat fender flares.
    Synergy 6" Full Long-Arm Suspension.
    JKA Suspension Brackets.
    17" Moto Metal rims with 37" Goodyear MTR Kevlar's
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT
    TO NOT DRIVE A WRANGLER

3.8 Jeep Wrangler Unltd ( Sold - Awesome Times)
    2.8 CRD Jeep Wrangler Unltd ( Sold - Good Times )

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Fire View Post
    you dont need lockers, traction is all you need, might be a nice to have but not essential. Tyres on the other hand I recon 33s are still a bit small, especially on the landies, they took some hard hits on the diffs and steering bars.
    Agree.
    2 of the 3 defenders bent steering arms and got some minor body damage on rear corners.

Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    Agree.
    2 of the 3 defenders bent steering arms and got some minor body damage on rear corners.

I am not convinced, nor do I understand why bigger wheels will give you better traction in a low momentum scenario.

More ground clearance yes, more steering components damage yes, more drive train failures yes, less braking and power yes, looks cool yes, but more traction, hmmmm, dunno.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I am not convinced, nor do I understand why bigger wheels will give you better traction in a low momentum scenario.

More ground clearance yes, more steering components damage yes, more drive train failures yes, less braking and power yes, looks cool yes, but more traction, hmmmm, dunno.
    It folds over the rocks.. but the main reason is clearance

Jaguar XJS V12

Some of the landies had no lockers and 32" tyres vs lifted jeep with 35" monster tyres and suspension travel/flex of like 3 meters.

The point I am trying to make is that for the landy we packed a lot of rocks, which was fine.

In the end both vehicles made it through. It is all about packing rocks and choosing different lines through obstacles, therefore I believe that with a relatively standard vehicle the going is just going to be much tougher, but NOT impossible.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Fluffy take a normal car tyre and drice over a brick then take a big 4x4 tyre and see how easy it goes over. Hence 30 vs 33"
    '86 SFA Hilux V6

Sponsors:

But it does not matter weather you have a heavily modified vehicle or a relatively standard one you will have close calls and places where you have driven through an obstacle where you will have some chunks missing from the seat.

The side slopes comes to mind as well as the ice section after the one river crossing.

Discovery 3 V8 SE

Quote Originally Posted by NicoP View Post
    Fluffy take a normal car tyre and drice over a brick then take a big 4x4 tyre and see how easy it goes over. Hence 30 vs 33"
    Yes I agree here, the larger tyre folds easily over the rock while the smaller tyre actually stands on top of the rock.

Discovery 3 V8 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
    Yes I agree here, the larger tyre folds easily over the rock while the smaller tyre actually stands on top of the rock.
    When you are comparing BIG differences in tyres, like 29 vss 35, well then yes.

But 31.5 vss 33. The two most popular sizes , dunno, not so sure. With this tyre size difference the rim size would be the dominant factor for determining profile size and hence the ability to fold over rocks.

The smaller tyre may actually have some advantages in rock crawling that offset the problems I highlighted.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

When you are comparing BIG differences in tyres, like 29 vss 35, well then yes.

But 31.5 vss 33. The two most popular sizes , dunno, not so sure. With this tyre size difference the rim size would be the dominant factor for determining profile size and hence the ability to fold over rocks.

The smaller tyre may actually have some advantages in rock crawling that offset the problems I highlighted.
    Yes it causes other problems. Hence me staying with 32s. Had 33s on my previous defender.

Jaguar XJS V12

I had 31" then 33 and now 31 again. There is a huge difference between them. I'm going back to 33 for much better traction
    '86 SFA Hilux V6

Sponsors:

The bigger the tyre the bigger the rock you can get over. You will need major protection underneath the vehicle. The diff protector fell off twice and looks n bit like tin foil.
    No one makes proper rear protectors. I agree with bob no fancy fitment centre's protection will survive, so I'll be spending some time with my neighbour in the future to see if we can't design something substantial. Either way I will be back.
    Oh yes a winch will be handy, not so much for recovery but it will make moving big rocks easier.
    Last edited by Willemvan; 2013/06/19 at 08:41 PM.
    Defender 90 TD5 with steering guard, Warriorworx rocksliders and diff guard, 33' Bridgestone MT, Warn winch, outback roofrack, frontrunner penthouse RTT and awning.
    African Backbone offroad trailer.

Nice Guys well done looks like a trip you can do just about every year and it'll be different.
    Work harder, as there are a lot on wellfare that depend on you!

I disagree with you totally here, more rubber means bigger foot print = more traction. As for steering, drive train failure and damage, when running bigger tyres its a given you will have to HD them, braking doesn't matter as you not driving 120 on the trail, power loss is almost non existant, my 3.8 pulls just as what it did with my 33s on. My 35s worked awesome on the rocks and ice after dropping the pressure down to .7 bar could probably have gone down to .4 but was very happy with the performance on .7
    3.6 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    XRC front stubby
    XRC Flat fender flares.
    JKA Suspension Brackets.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT
    TO NOT DRIVE A WRANGLER

Weird thing... both defender 110s went home with the same damage. Bent steering rod, smashed rear corner, and tired a frame ball joint.

Jaguar XJS V12

hey Ben
    every sport has its injuries, sadly that rear corner just sticks out a bit far, but thankfully those rivets are out quick and that corner beaten back into shape again
    Work harder, as there are a lot on wellfare that depend on you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Fire View Post
    I disagree with you totally here, more rubber means bigger foot print = more traction. As for steering, drive train failure and damage, when running bigger tyres its a given you will have to HD them, braking doesn't matter as you not driving 120 on the trail, power loss is almost non existant, my 3.8 pulls just as what it did with my 33s on. My 35s worked awesome on the rocks and ice after dropping the pressure down to .7 bar could probably have gone down to .4 but was very happy with the performance on .7
    You are most welcome to disagree with me.

Sure I don't do 120 on a trail. But I do 120 for a few thousand kilos from my home in Durban to trails in Limpopo or Gariep or Bots.

Power loss on the 3.8 non existent. Nonsense. I have a 3.8 , it is so underpowered/badly geared that it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding on the open road. And yes I have a set of 33's, all five in my garage, which I took off because the difference in traction in no way compensates for the negative side effects. They do look cooler, but that's about it.

35's will significantly increase the risk of drivetrain and stearing damage and death wobble, indisputable FACT.

But that is all of academic interrest as this debate is about 31.5 vss 33
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

@ Fluffy - all different combinations have pro's and cons on different terrains. This terrain requires the bigger tires especially with the solid axle guys, nor me of the other guys would dare go where Charl drove through the river crossing part.

[QUOTE=Fluffy;1709985]You are most welcome to disagree with me.

Sure I don't do 120 on a trail. But I do 120 for a few thousand kilos from my home in Durban to trails in Limpopo or Gariep or Bots.

My Jk could do 160 no hassle with my old 33s on, uphill I could keep a constant 140 with no regear or gear drop.

Power loss on the 3.8 non existent. Nonsense. I have a 3.8 , it is so underpowered/badly geared that it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding on the open road. [Fluffy you sure they didn't see you coming, if your 3.8 struggles so much with 33s I think you got an UNO motor in. 33s doesn't effect your power that much.

And yes I have a set of 33's, all five in my garage, which I took off because the difference in traction in no way compensates for the negative side effects. They do look cooler, but that's about it. I honestly hope you really don't believe your statement there if you do it's time to stop snorting you table salt bud.

35's will significantly increase the risk of drivetrain and stearing damage and death wobble, indisputable FACT. As I have stated above if you want to run bigger tyres you have to do some other mods as well to protect against damage, as for death wobble if you balance the wheels properly and take the other precautions you should never have a problem

But that is all of academic interrest as this debate is about 31.5 vss 33 again 33 has more rubber, air it down = more traction, simple concept
    3.6 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    XRC front stubby
    XRC Flat fender flares.
    JKA Suspension Brackets.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT
    TO NOT DRIVE A WRANGLER

Just on direct sizing
    Taking 33 vs 31.5 as example
    The 33 does 382.19 revs per KM the 31.5 does 400.38
    Which works out to about 5% higher ratio when running the 33 vs the 31.5

Most people would feel the 5% and whether that amount really affects a person depends on what you have under the bonnet
    But obviously the 33 has a bigger footprint thus more traction so it comes up to a point of where does increased traction lose to power loss

Oh and just as a side from 31.5 to 35 is just over 10% higher ratio

So if you 4x4 constantly feels like you have power to spare then upping your tires isn't a issue
    If you feel like it is bit weaker than you want then it is a issue
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2013/06/20 at 08:04 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast