Handy African travel books - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Not sure as what the following book can be classified, but I did enjoy reading it as it's about the Sperrgebiet and I will probably never be able to see it.

Diamonds & Dust. Stories of a place in the Desert

By Malcolm Bertoni
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

How about a different travel book? "Geological Journeys - A traveller's guide to South Africa's rocks and landforms" by Nick Norman & Gavin Whitfield, 2006, 320p (ISBN 1770070621). The book discusses the geology of South Africa from a travellers point of view by focussing on what can be seen along some of South Africa's major routes, eg N1 to Cape Town or along the N4 Pretoria to Komatipoort to name but a few routes. Contains a large number of colour photographs, diagrams and maps which provide a good overview of the geology of South Africa. Have not seen any similar books for other African countries such as Botswana etc. However if you are interested in learning something about the geology of our country, I can highly recommend this book.

Absolutely agree with Rockhunter. There Is a follow-up titled Off the beaten track by the R-same author, which covers some of the regional roads in the country. For Namibia, a similar book is A Fascination of Geology.

Would love to know if anything like these exists for other countries in s Africa.

Managed to speak to Tom Sheppard of Vehicle-dependant EXPEDITION Guide (Edition 3). He had 5 copies of this version lying about and I managed to buy one today. Due to the postal strike I enquired about courier and almost feel off my chair. As providence would have it, a good buddy of mine is travelling to Botswana from the UK tomorrow. Tom is organising the get the book to him by the morning, in time for the flight down south. Should have it in my grubby paws by end of the month, when my buddy winds his way back to SA. What a bonus!

If you want a copy...there's 4 left. Tom might consider writing a Version 4, but the jury is still out.
    Gambit: MY07 D3 TDV6 HSE
    It's the small things in life that matter

Quote Originally Posted by SolPlaatje View Post
    Managed to speak to Tom Sheppard of Vehicle-dependant EXPEDITION Guide (Edition 3). .
    There's a forum copy of this donated by Mike Garnham that has been doing the rounds for a couple of years - not sure where it is now.
    All the old TV Bulpin books are being re-issued at the moment, I'm slowly building up a nice little collection of them to take along on my next long trip. Latest one I got yesterday is "The Hunter is Death" about the life of George Rushby, who came to Africa from the UK with a passion for hunting, and ended up being deputy chief wildlife warden in the then Tanganyika - looks like a great yarn. It is one of the Bulpin's I didn't read as a kid.

Tom Sheppard is truly a gem in terms of service, let alone the quality of his work. he managed to get the book to my friend on time, as promised, with some hours to spare as well. If you are wanting to buy the last 4 copies of the publication, do get onto it and contact him at [email protected]. He self-publishes and trying to get this edition via other sites will just run you up unnecessary money. Do support the man!

OK so no more copies... Seems I got the last copy. A new edition (#4) might be in the making.

I've recently read Michaels Marriot's book, Desert Taxi, an account of their 1953 journey from Europe to Kano, Nigeria in an 18 year old Austin. The car did 750 000 miles as a London taxi and then failed the annual police safety check before the couple purchased the vehicle.

I think Stan (who started this thread and has just left on an extensive African trip) will be aghast at the lack of preparation by the author and his wife. At the end they had to refill the radiator every mile and had to drain the radiator at each overnight stop. Blown gasket, cracked engine block. Mad dogs and Englishmen, but a great adventure.

Default Re: Handy African travel books

I have just read Ian Glenn's book The First Safari, subtitled : Searching for Francois Levalliant.

Glenn is an academic but the book reads very easily and there were times I wished he had gone into more detail on certain aspects. Glenn did research in the museums of Paris and was in fact looking for Levalliant's original travel notebooks. The book deals with Levalliant as an ornithologist, social observer, and investigative reporter and one realises that Levalliant was not only a very keen observer, but that he was years ahead of his peers who reported on similar journeys.

Highly recommended.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Hi Stan
    I have not visited the forum for a while and have only just picked up on this lovely thread.
    We used the Bradt guides almost exclusively for our trip last year and found them very useful.
    However I was fortunate to meet up with family friends of my parents, the owners of Fringilla north of Lusaka who are also ex-Kenya. Minnie was in the process of dispensing with her extensive collection of books and I was allowed to help myself to some really good books about East and Central Africa, not so much guides.
    One was The Zanzibar Chest and I totally agree with the comments made on the thread, a really good read.
    After visiting Shiwa Ngandu it was so good to read Africa House by Christina Lamb once again.
    A really worthwhile book is Livingstone's Tribe by Stephen Taylor. He goes in search of white people still living in the once British colonies.
    And then many books about Rwanda but the best probably Rat Roads by Jacques Pauw. He has just visited Rwanda once again and written 2 articles for the new Afrikaans Vrye Weekblad.
    I will probably add to this list.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Landyvrou For This Useful Post:

Dark Continent My Black Arse by Sihle Khumalo.
    I am intrigued that a number of readers of this book did not enjoy it and think it sexist. It was a very popular read in my all ladies book club a number of years ago and I cannot remember the sexist comment ever coming up. I have just read his latest book, Rainbow Nation - My Zulu Arse and found it enjoyable and insightful. He does write a few political hometruths which may be found unpalatable but I love his light and humourous touch.

I would add Paul Thoroux's books on Africa, especially Dark Star Safari.

Stan, I have a couple of old videos from a Mr White on 4x4 driving. Are you interested
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    Stan, I have a couple of old videos from a Mr White on 4x4 driving. Are you interested
    Nope! What point are you trying to make?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Subscribed..

F.C. Selous A Hunters Wanderings in Africa.

S. Buchanon. Burchell s Travels

etc ... the early explorers writings ... etc
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2019/05/07 at 09:00 PM.
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //‘81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    ‘75 Series3 88 PUP.//‘17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Nope! What point are you trying to make?

Just joking.

I am busy reading Through the Kalahari Desert by G.A. Farini.

Very interesting read.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Smile Re: Handy African travel books

Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3