Spca

Thread: Spca

Angry Spca

My buurman se hond [staffie x pitbull] bly die vakansie by my omdat my buurman by die see met sy karavaan staan.Vanmiddag om 14H00 het daar omtrent 6 moe.se klappers[klink soos mortiere] naby my huis afgegaan en is Jock skoonveld.Ek bel nou die SPCA en hulle sê hulle dink hy is daar en ek moet R200 saambring om hom te kom haal moreoggend.Ek vra toe of dit is wat dit kos om jou hond te kom haal ,waarop die vrou antwoord nee sy weet nie maar R200 sal genoeg wees.Ek verstaan hulle het hom seker kos en water gegee maar R200 klink vir my verregaande,is die SPCA dan nie 'n nie winsgewende organisasie nie.Ek is mal oor diere en gooi altyd geld in die SPCA blikkies maar ek en die ander ouens by die werk het nou besluit nooit weer nie,is ek dalk net kwaad die moer in en verkeerd of wat?Ek is mal oor die hond want hy het fantastiese maniere en is mal oor my kind maar dit klink vir my na 'n geldmaak storie,en dan sit hulle met hokke vol honde waarvoor hulle R300 per hond vra hier in Mosselbaai.
    Last edited by Lofty; 2008/01/01 at 07:51 PM.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

Hi Lofty,

Glad you were able to recover the hound. R200 is a lot of money (especially for just one night), but the SPCA also has costs (and paid Staff) so it probably is fair enough.

Have you taken your animal to the Vet recently? I know they, too, have expenses, but at the rate the charge for services, people are rather going to put their animals out instead of paying large Veterinary fees for relatively minor procedures. I feel very strongly over this, not everyone can afford Pet Care these days. It is a sad reflection on today's "make a buck" lifestyle.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Sorry to say this, but the SPCA has lost their goals/purpose years ago. I do not support them in any way. Private kennels typicly charge R80/night if you leave your animals there for your holiday period.
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota 2.5D4D 4x4 .... my Platkar vir werk

En ek het 'n probleem vir jou oplossing, en waarom net moeilik wees, as ek met 'n bietjie moeite totaal onmoontlik kan raak ?

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    Wat trou by sy gewete bly
    As hy straf in plaas van beloning kry.
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

Wink

A couple of years ago I had to take my boerboel to the vet to have her lips stiched up after...(lets not go there now).

After looking at her the VET told me that he will have to keep her overnight and do it the next day under anaesthetics. A week before that my friend had his sausage dog there when some other dog mistaken him for a Hot Dog and it cost him R2K in Vet bills.

So I enquired about the cost of putting her to sleep. Shocked and surprised the Vet looked at me and asked why. I told him if it would cost more the R 250 to fix her up. rather put her to sleep. Needless to say she was stitched up for R 250

R200 for the recovery of a lost dog and a night in a kennel is not bad.

Imagine running around trying to recover him yourself.

Firstly: The SPCA as Family dog says the SPCA also has expenses and paid employees. They often have to foot vet fees for dogs that they don't even know who they belong too. If jock had injured himself i am sure you have found that he would have been treated aswell.

Secondly: Everyone knows that New Years is accoumpanied by fireworks and i am sure the SPCA is fed up with recovering peoples pet for them in the new year...

Stir for the day...
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Maybe R200 is not that bad,but if you want to buy a dog from them its R400 does'nt matter if the dog is 1 year or 100 years old.At that price I will deffinitely not support them and rather buy a puppy from someone else.How can they ask R200 plus R19 a day for a dog and R200 for a cow or a horse they found on the highway,maybe I'm dum but to me it doesnt make sence.I recon they wants to make lots of money and rather kill the poor 5 or 10 year old dog after 3 months if they cant find a home at R400 for the poor thing.Why do you never see the dogs from the local plakkerskamp there?Because everyone cant afford R200 to pick up their dog,so its all about money.

I don't support SPCA in Cape Town. There's plenty other organisations that still care for animals here. My beef with them goes back more than 20 years and back then it was also money being more important than the animals welfare.

Back then my neighbour took a dog to the SPCA because of personal problems. I found out about this on the same day and went to the SPCA and told them don't nuke it, I'll take it. I was young and had cr*p pay but I could scrape enough to sponsor a dog. They wanted x amount of money (can't remember exactly) which I didn't have on me. So I went away empty handed and the dog went to doggy heaven.

Even a normal Vet, who is working for a profit, will show more compassion than SPCA.

Incidently, when people ask me what gift they can get me I get them to make donations to the local animal shelters instead.
    Last edited by Spike; 2008/01/06 at 10:01 AM.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Talking

''doggy heaven''

AFAIK, our local SPCA charges about the same for the adoption for a dog. But included in this price is sterilisation by a Vet, which would normally cost a lot more if you had it done privately. I have just paid R650 to have Tammie spade, so it's still a bargain!

Whatever one's feelings are towards the SPCA, they still do more good than harm and do try and care for abandoned animals. However, there is a general lack of support from Joe Public which certainly does not make their job any easier.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Sadly this is the case with many institutions in the Western Cape. A few years back we went on a search for a dog - thought it best to give a "rescue" a good home and popped in at DARG in Hout Bay. At the time we were driving my wife's old rust bucket Mazda. I saw the owners/on duty staff give us the beady eye as we entered the parking lot. We enquired about the availability of a dog and were given the 50 questions - I had to answer no on the fact that the dog would stay in doors - our daughter was then due to arrive on the scene in a few months time. Don't get me wrong - I would gladly let a dog stay in doors but we wanted to try for the outside dog type because of the baby in the house. I however got the feeling that their minds were made up when they saw our car.

So we left - very upset as we really wanted to give a stray a home.

A week later I went out and paid R1000 for a Great Dane - put him in a course of Hills Science Diet, let him sleep inside (on the bed) and paid heavy vets bills for months of the year. At age 5 he developed lymph cancer and we lived at the vet with him - he breathed his last in my arms on the vet's room floor. I spared no expense for man's best friend - and never will! We now have 2 Great Danes - also spoilt rotten!

So - sadly - these folk prevented a rescue dog from getting spoilt in a pet loving family - all because of a few questions. I realise they need to be strict as the dog did come from bad circumstances and could go back to a similar environment - but I don't think that a few verbal questions is enough to make that decision!!!
    ------------------------------------------
    Andre de Goede
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 SW
    www.Nissan4x4.co.za Web Master

My view oor pets is nou maar net nie dieselfde as ander mense nie. Ek dokter, spuit en sit self uit. Disiplineer, bederf. Sit met 2 jacks, 2 katte, papegaai, visse, dragon in die huis. Het al soveel runnings met vets gehad en die spca [wat nou toe is in kempton] deurdat ek nie altyd die geld gehad het nie. Sal ek R200 betaal? seker, maar nie met n siek attitude nie [van hulle af] Sal maar se hulle moet die brak uitsit en dan sal hulle die gou terug gee. Plaas dat die firework 'tax' die bill settle!. En so by the way Andre, my datsun wat ek ry en kleredrag het ook gesorg dat n huisagent in die kaap vir my gese het dit lyk of ek hulle tyd gaan mors [het n stukkie grond gesoek om te ontwikkel]
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

I agree that the SPCA does good work, but I also stopped supporting them. With the Thule Elephant scandal of a few years ago I got the impression that it was more important for the SPCA to make an animal rights issue out of it than to solve the problem.

We once aranged an adoption of a friends dog just to susequently hear that the adoptive parents had taken the dog to the SPCA because it wasnt quite what they expected. It cost us a fortune to get the dog back.

I believe like any other posesions, if you pay for an animal you would rpobably take better care of your "investment". However, if you go into the townships you encounter many animal lovers who would take very good care of any pets, but just cant afford to adopt one at R300-400. So i believe that the high cost of animal adoption restricts it to only the real compasionates out there rather than stimulating adoption by general animal lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    So i believe that the high cost of animal adoption restricts it to only the real compasionates out there rather than stimulating adoption by general animal lovers.
    But don't you think this is a good thing? I know you referred to animals in a previous statement as "possessions". I know you probably didn't mean it quite like that but I think this is half the problem...

Adopting animals by general animal lovers who can't afford the care of said animals is just plain criminal IMO...

If the animal gets sick or injured, and if one can't afford the vets bills, then you shouldn't have the animal in the first place. My BIL is a vet, and time and again he has to put down animals, which could easily be nursed back to health with a little commitment. One of these @[email protected] ran over his own dog with a brand new BMW, but couldn't afford the cost of repairing a broken leg.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Adopting animals by general animal lovers who can't afford the care of said animals is just plain criminal IMO...
    I would rather see a dog eating cheap dog food and being loved by some-one, than having it put down because the person that would have loved it could not afford the addoption fees or maybe potential future Vet bills. (I feel a bit different about cats though). If you look at stray dogs scavanging for food you realize how little they actually need to get by. Like humans, I think dogs would also rather just be loved than having the expensive food and toys but be treated like just another security item. What is wonderful about dogs is they dont care about your income or social status, they just want to be loved.

Beans Guest

There is always two sides to a story. Andre my sister in law works for dane rescue. Dogs do get kennel mad. Spca might not be in everyones likes but they do make a dent. Have you ever thought if they closed down. I know of darg but then an old dog that should be laid to rest is still living in a little cage with mange.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    There is always two sides to a story. Andre my sister in law works for dane rescue. Dogs do get kennel mad. Spca might not be in everyones likes but they do make a dent. Have you ever thought if they closed down. I know of darg but then an old dog that should be laid to rest is still living in a little cage with mange.
    VERY TRUE!!!
    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!