Decat or not!

Thread: Decat or not!

Default Decat or not!

I see a couple of members have decat'ted their vehicle. Yet some want to do all sort of things to poachers. In the meantime the decat'ted vehicles are increasing the toxic gasses in the atmosphere, probably causing serious health problems according to various google searches.

So decat? NO, never! Else you are slowly killing the human race as well as rhino! Either you are for conservation, or against......
    Andre ZR6AGA 8)
    2009 VW Tiguan 1.4 TSI Field & Track

Eeek! Popcorn!

Then you must stop driving all together. And don't buy food from the supermarkets, think of all the pollution the tractor made to plough, cultivate, plant and harvest the produce. And the factory to process it. And the big interlink trucks hauling it around the country!

Im going to plant my own corn tomorrow!
    Pat

Prado 3.4 V6, OME + Spacer lift, Cooper STT, Safari Snorkel, VHF.....
    Buell Xb12Ss

Technically you are correct and also the reason why any vehicle after 2009, without a catalytic converter, is illegal.

On the other hand, how many flies, ants, spiders and cockroaches to you kill annually? You're a killer...
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

I think cars and trucks in SA are nowhere near as polluting as our lovely coal-burning power stations. Why not focus some energy in that direction ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Only one post for me, then I can also break out the popcorn.

This all said by people who think it wiser to have a new vehicle every 2-5 years that creates a larger eco disaster in it's production than if they just kept the old one and "recycled" it for 15 to 20 years.

And before anyone has anything to say about my old TD, I run it on old cooking oil. No carbon out the exhaust, compare it to frying fast food by the kilometre.

Then I actually have an issue with Cats, that smell is awful, and in my life a major problem as it is a trigger for my wife who gets epileptic attacks every time I have to drive in the wake of BM or Merc.

OK, now where did I put that popcorn............
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

More or less the feedback I expected. Yes we all kill...then we try to kill less with all sorts of conservation projects, cleaning campsites, use bio-degradable soap, buying vehicles with fewer emissions etc.....then follow the illegal road knowingly, worsening the quality of the environment for your grandchildren and their children. Yeah, it is not a big a sin as the taxi driving on slicks and you save a couple of kilo rands.

To debate the issue is not really going to help, so I will leave it to you to decide. We are all wrong....so let's be less wrong.
    Andre ZR6AGA 8)
    2009 VW Tiguan 1.4 TSI Field & Track

Quote Originally Posted by ADUP View Post
    More or less the feedback I expected. Yes we all kill...then we try to kill less with all sorts of conservation projects, cleaning campsites, use bio-degradable soap, buying vehicles with fewer emissions etc.....then follow the illegal road knowingly, worsening the quality of the environment for your grandchildren and their children. Yeah, it is not a big a sin as the taxi driving on slicks and you save a couple of kilo rands.

To debate the issue is not really going to help, so I will leave it to you to decide. We are all wrong....so let's be less wrong.
    So why did you start the thread ?

Very easy as an armchair warrior to fill my tank with the perfect fuel, however this is impossible in the deeper darker parts of Africa.
    Rip the cats out and run your vehicles on a mixture of petrol, parrafine, water, sand and a bit of diesel. Occasionally add some cooking oil to stop any knocks.

However I do agree with the OP every little bit helps.
    Hello... Give Me.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Only one post for me, then I can also break out the popcorn.

This all said by people who think it wiser to have a new vehicle every 2-5 years that creates a larger eco disaster in it's production than if they just kept the old one and "recycled" it for 15 to 20 years.

And before anyone has anything to say about my old TD, I run it on old cooking oil. No carbon out the exhaust, compare it to frying fast food by the kilometre.

Then I actually have an issue with Cats, that smell is awful, and in my life a major problem as it is a trigger for my wife who gets epileptic attacks every time I have to drive in the wake of BM or Merc.

OK, now where did I put that popcorn............
    your wife really gets epileptic attacks when you following behind a car with a cat? thats strange.

So how much of the toxic gasses do the catalytic converter remove? Have you had yours checked lately? Is the catalytic converter still functioning as it should or is the extra restriction caused by the old catalytic converter making the engine work harder and actually causing more damage than it would without it.

Just putting it out there...
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Popcorn... Hoe anders moet ons landy manne meer krag uit ons donkie karre kry
    2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE AT.
    1999 Discovery II V8 XS AT.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

bigger issues in life that whether or not your vehicle has a CAT...... carbon footprint from each new vehicle being produced?

Eskom tells us we need to use energy saver lights, hands them out all over the country, but what about the lead inside that CFL when it gets disposed of in a landfill or in the rural areas tossed over a fence.......that leaches back to our drinking water...... everytime a volcano erupts they reckon it spews more rubbish into the atmosphere than x amount of factories in a whole year......

Don't get me wrong, I grew up in conservation......just putting it out there??
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    Branch and 50mm free flow
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

KIA Sportage.....Retiredstripped for spares

Fiat Uno platcar

I see a couple of members have decat'ted their vehicle. Yet some want to do all sort of things to poachers. In the meantime the decat'ted vehicles are increasing the toxic gasses in the atmosphere, probably causing serious health problems according to various google searches.

So decat? NO, never! Else you are slowly killing the human race as well as rhino! Either you are for conservation, or against......

The greenhouse gasses created by the herds of cattle used in your burger patty and for your steak is on a par with the exhaust emissions from cars.

Vegetarians going the decat route should be okay then.

As I understand it, the cats get damaged over time, blocking the exhaust? This is when you either need to replace or remove. I know some of us remove a bit earlier, but would it not get to this point eventually? In my case, replacing the cats would be R40 000. I'd like to say I can afford this, but I can not. I'd rather plant a tree every month.

Tried to replace the one cat of an S500 a few years ago, R26600.
    80 000km on the clock.
    Whats the choice, throw the car away, which is a bigger waste.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

anybody care to think about the environmental impact in extracting the platinum used in catalytic converters, hybrid batteries etc?

Quote Originally Posted by henros View Post
    The greenhouse gasses created by the herds of cattle used in your burger patty and for your steak is on a par with the exhaust emissions from cars.

Vegetarians going the decat route should be okay then.
    Uhmm that's why I'm not a vegetarian, I do my bit to help keep the cattle population in check (probably because I feel guilty because I decatted 2 of my cars )

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

---------------------
    Current planet killers
    Disco 3 V8
    Colt Rodeo 2800
    Land Cruiser 79 V6

Previous
    SIII Chevy 4.1 Straight 6
    Forward Control SII
    Rangie Classic 3.5 V8
    Rangie Classic Chevy 5.7 V8
    Defender 2.8 Straight 6
    Disco 1 3.5 V8
    Disco 3 TDV6
    Disco 3 V8
    Disco 1 V8
    Disco 2 TD5

http://heine9999.wordpress.com/

A Cat and a Battery Car are all good for the environment. Or that is what we are told.
    But that Platinum, Palladium and Lead must come from some where. The problem is not the cars on the road, it is the mines and factories.

If you look after your car and the engine is in good shape it is not polluting the earth, it is the engines that has passed there shelf life.

Drive with care and just when absolutely necessary and you will do good already.

M2CW