Mana Pools to Hwange trip report. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lymington View Post
    It is so great to read positives about Zimbabwe. Thank you. We are born and live here. Have had no trouble travelling around. We were in Mana 15 - 19 May. It amuses me that travellers want the safari and bush experience but expect great tarred roads, hotel type accommodation and all the frills and trills. Things may be a bit rustic here compared to Kruger or Sabi, but we love the quiet bush experience. Quiet camps and some times a good mopane wood fire boils up water or cooks our food just great. Rustic is good!!
    Well said lymington !

Quote Originally Posted by Wendel View Post
    ...............and if you ever go To Matusadona again you should take a drive along the shore line road to the East part

Hi Mike - I am intrigued by your suggestion. T4A shows a road to the east which comes from Kariba and ends at the Sanyati Gorge. How does one access the shore line road.
    Hi Wendel.
    Traveling east from Tashinga there are a couple of roads you can go on. You have to traverse back on the Tashinga inbound road. There was talk of getting the old camps Chingachirara and Kadjedza cleaned up and usable - (See Tashinga Initiative web site) I was last on those roads in the '90's so could have changed. The Sanyati West camp is also habitable believe. (See my attached Google Earth Sketched map to understand the old road system.)

By the way did you see my note re Sengwe River crossing. The main Sengwe bridge was a high level bridge and I can't see it washing away therefore my query.

Regards
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Default Sengwe River Crossing - Correction

Hi Mike
    My mistake, the bridge wash away is at the Ume River crossing on the Karoi Binga road and not the Sengwe river. Thank you for pointing this out.

Default Matusadona - Sengwe - Ume Query

Hi Wendel
    This mystery has been solved. When you drove up from Matusadona you turned right where I show the pink road end and drove towards the Tiger Bay / Bumi Hills road shown in blue across where I have put the dots. You should have carried on driving up the green road to the red Karoi Binga road. Your co-ords are exactly where that wash away bridge is on the T4A. I thought I recognised the crossing but could not remember it being on Karoi / Binga road that is why I queried it. I would love to know the time difference between the two routes. Either Blue to Red or green and red up to where blue joins.
    With regard to Matusadona: If you look at the map I sent you can see there are tracks leading off the main Tashinga road heading east along the shore line as well as tracks going along the bottom of the mountains They actually join and make one big loop. These are what I was referring to. These tracks actually go up to Sanyati gorge at the Sanyati West Camp that was quite popular in the 80s and early 90s. Since then it has not been visited much. Tashinga Initiatives have done some work out there.
    Regard
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Default Chitake 2

HI Wendel
    Whats the camp site like at Chitake 2
    Thanks
    Craig

Default Matusadona - Sengwe - Ume Query

Hi Mike

The Ume river detour coming out of Matusadona towards Binga appears to be the shorter route - 28km vs 37km for the recognised route.

We found the detour road to be good with an easy crossing at the bridge wash away.

In the wet season the longer route may be preferable.

Default Chitake 2

Hi Craig

The campsite at Chitake 2 is above the river bed, compared to Chitake 1 which is right next to the river bed. There is one very large tree at Chitake 2 which would offer shade during the day. There is a limited view over the river and a small tributary. The surroundings consist of grass and low bushes. There are no facilities at all so you need to be self sufficient. By road it is about 800m to athe river bed.

Thanks for the great report, brings back good memories! Myself and my Girlfriend drove up to Mana in December via Bots NON STOP from East London driving and sleeping in shifts... Awesome experience, we also stayed in Nyamepi camp for 6 days after which we headed to Kariba for a week. I will definately return to Zim but those Borders in Dec/Jan are just crazy...

Hi Wendel, thank you for a great report with very usefull information. We are leaving this weekend for Mana and are frantically packing and preparing.

One question. You refer to the TIP's being checked. Are these the normal RSA TIP form or is there a specific TIP form for Zim. If specific I'll appreciate if you can advise where to find it on the Web as I've been unsuccessful.

Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Imagine Comfortvan

We plan to leave on a 5 to 6 week trip.
    Classic itinerray namibia (swakupmund, etosha), botswana (mashi,), vick falls and back to the kgalagadi transfronteer park.

Planning: leaving end of oktober, return half of december.

Q: is this a good period to do this trip?

We have a fortuner 4x4 and an off road trailer.

Thx for the help!

Every day above the ground is a good day!

Hi Chris The TIP is the temporary import permit issued for all vehicles at the border. Not necessary to get forms in advance. You do need your original vehcile registration document and a letter authorisung you to use the vehicle if not registerd in your name. You will enjoy your trip!

Thanks Wendel. We are packed and ready to roll. Can't wait
    Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Imagine Comfortvan

Maxibelgium. In my opinion this is an excellent time of the year for your trip. It is at the end of the dry season and game is concentrated at permanent water. Once the rains start in December the game disperses, but the bush changes to a beautiful and luxurious green, which is also an attraction. Enjoy your trip. I am envious.

Wendel thanks for an excellent report and beautiful photos!
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Nice one :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

---------------------
    Current planet killers
    Disco 3 V8
    Colt Rodeo 2800
    Land Cruiser 79 V6

Previous
    SIII Chevy 4.1 Straight 6
    Forward Control SII
    Rangie Classic 3.5 V8
    Rangie Classic Chevy 5.7 V8
    Defender 2.8 Straight 6
    Disco 1 3.5 V8
    Disco 3 TDV6
    Disco 3 V8
    Disco 1 V8
    Disco 2 TD5

http://heine9999.wordpress.com/

Lovely detailed reports, great photos. And always great to hear the positives

Default Zim

Hi Wendel

Thanks for the report - heading for Chirundu , Mana (Nyamepi) , Kariba , Vic Falls and finally Matopas in two weeks with the wife and kids !!
    Goose bumps.
    Anybody know where a good butcher is on the way to Chirundu ? (Someone like Waynes butchery in Bulawayo) as at the moment I am planning to take frozen vacuum packed meat through Beitbridge.

Thanks
    Potts

Default Bots or Zim ?

Hi Wendel,
    thanks for your very comprehensive report.
    I am planning a trip from CT to Vic Falls which will include Hwange. From there I will drive to Joburg. Can I have your opinion on the below 2 options: 1) Hwange to Pandamatenga and down through Bots or 2) Hwange to Bulawayo and cross border at Plumtree/Ramo-kgwebane. What would be your reco? Thanks
    Bernard

Hi Bernard
    The answer depends on where you are in Hwange. If you are in the main camp area it will probably be quicker to head towards Bulawayo and then cross at Plumtree. The Plumtree border has a lot of taxi/pedestrian traffic and can be slower than Pandamatenga.
    If you are nearby Masuma Dam in the West of Hwange I would head for the Pandamatenga border which only sees a few vehicles each day. The road is very scenic and you could also see a lot of game in the Robin's Camp area as well as on the road from Hwange to Pandamatenmga. The road is good gravel all the way. Enjoy

I am still wondering where to stay in Hwange. But I think I will stick to the north part and exit via Robin's then Pandamatenga. I'll be there exactly during election so probably better to avoid too much driving in Zim.
    Thanks for your help Wendel. keep well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast