Parabolic mike to save the Rhino

Default Parabolic mike to save the Rhino

Hi
    I am urgently looking for the following items:
    1. Parabolic microphone / Parabolic dish
    2. Filter box (?) to filter out background noise, must be adjustable
    3. Recorder, Tape, chip or SD card I need to get fairly high quality recordings.
    I need it for sitting in the bush at night as a listening post for voices, vehicle movement and other sounds that would mean the presence of unwanted visitors. It is full moon and the favorite Rhino horn harvesting time.
    I need some sort of filtering system to reduce sounds like insects as well as the train in the distance, you can not believe how many and how loud the crickets are at night.
    I will even invite you to come and demonstrate the equipment in the bush, jokes aside this equipment is needed urgently for anti-poaching measures and will be used extensively.
    Or and info on where I can obtain this sort of equipment.
    Regards
    Dave
    083 302 4473
    015 793 2663
    [email protected]
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5

Be careful out there Dave...and bury those a-holes deep.

Maybe this link can be of more information to you about someone knowledgeable in this field.. http://www.musictech.net/2013/02/rec...natural-world/

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

ok i am keen to help on this type of project

but lets work out some specifics and technical design - I am sure there are few more tech people than me

my initial thoughts are

i am thinking an old dstv dish?

I can whip up mountings and i have an amp circuit in mind that is adjustable - we would need to determine the frequency (hz) of the sounds you want and then that of the sounds you dont want
    we would need a piezo microphone or even a few - perhaps some at different frequencies to others

What distance do you need to hear sound over ? what would the sweep width be ?
    is this person carried or vehicle mounted ? this determines size and power requirements

what about thermal imaging ?

I was looking for something similar for recording bird calls in the field but settled on a RODE NTG 2 directional shotgun mic due to portibility, we chose the NTG 2 because it can run off batteries or phantom power so we had multiple power management options when in the bush.

We used it in combination with a blimp and wind wombat. We record with a Marantz PMD660 solid state recorder with compact flash cards or through ZOOM H4n recorders. Though you can use Sony M10 or even a pc if you want obviously but those solutions worked for us because we wanted to use XLR and phantom.

The sound quality is superb. The directionality and sensitivity impressed us so much that we forgot about the parabolic idea, though incorporating a plastic collection cone into the blimp would be very simple. Just get a dog stitches cone from the vet.

All equipment was purchased through Paul Bothners.

this is the size with the blimp and windsock, look at this man getting blown away. It is a popular field recording solution

Name:  blimp_01.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  40.3 KB
    Last edited by OwenD; 2013/05/25 at 05:32 PM.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Thanks for the info.
    3bar and OwenD I will send you a mail to get more information and ideas.
    Just about to go out and sit and listen for the evening.
    Saw a chopper between Hoedspruit and Klaserie, two poachers had fired on their field rangers with AK47's, the dogs had lost the scent and they were conducting a major search.
    Two contacts in the Kruger last night, one ranger wounded, no arrests.
    Full moon is a bad time in the bush.
    Regards
    Dave
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5

No problem, if you fly me up there I'll bring the mic along for you to testdrive

As for the insects you will need a low pass filter, some of the recorders like the H4n have these filters built in.
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Best wishes Dave you are not alone. Kruger has 12 suspected poacing teams in the park that they know of and are desperately trying to apprehend before they get to shoot. Full moon used to be a favourite sight for me and I used to love the big ball of cheese in the sky. Now it means death and destruction and not a welcome sight at all
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

The filter will be pretty simple to design, it would need to be straight forward low pass filter as the insects will be in the higher frequency range. Pretty easy to make and I am sure easy to buy as well.

What sort of range are you needing? I'll run it past a few people down here and see if we can come up with a quick solution.

Interestingly UCT elec eng department is running thesis topics at the moment where they work with one of the PHD guys on thermal imaging and tracking in the bush. Lots of high tech research being done to try improve the protection of the rhino's.

I have just been given a excellent idea:

Any one have some old hearing aids from your Grandfathers days, the type that had a box in the shirt pocket and a wire going up to the ear. These will work very well if attached to some form of "ear" or parabolic reflector.
    Please scratch around in any old stuff you may have, you might just have one or two old hearing aids.
    This could be a simple effective way of solving the problem.
    Owen I looked at the ZOOM H4n, nice piece of equipment, prices seem to range from R1800.00 to R3600.00 in SA. I will see what it costs in the UK.
    Regards
    Dave
    p.s. Spent a few very quite hours in the bush last night, very quite and tranquil.
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5

Quote Originally Posted by StefanWC View Post
    The filter will be pretty simple to design, it would need to be straight forward low pass filter as the insects will be in the higher frequency range. Pretty easy to make and I am sure easy to buy as well.

What sort of range are you needing? I'll run it past a few people down here and see if we can come up with a quick solution.

Interestingly UCT elec eng department is running thesis topics at the moment where they work with one of the PHD guys on thermal imaging and tracking in the bush. Lots of high tech research being done to try improve the protection of the rhino's.
    If you could do that I would be most grateful.
    We are wanting to hear voice, vehicles, chopping sounds and obviously gun shots.
    The insects are not really that much of a problem, what it is is that when it is very quite and all you hear is the insects, they seem to be very loud and blocking all other sounds, when in fact they are not that loud but the only sound being made. When an elephant squeals you suddenly realize that it is actually very quite and that the insects are not blocking other sounds.
    If I remember correctly you used to get ear phones with adjustable high and low filters on them ?
    Regards
    Dave
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5

I see you are online, did you manage to come right?
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

@Dave,just to add my 2cw,will it not be possible to insert a micro chip,like a car tracking devise into the rhino horns and monitor them on a scanner.I know this will not stop the rhino being poached ,but at least one could then track the horns and arrest these bastards right away,horns guns and all.Could even lead to one or more of the kingpins.They did this to a few rhino in Bots and has resulted in a few arrests and convictions.

Sorry Owen I missed you yesterday. Not quite, but I did get one of those hand held"listening" devices, but it is cheap and nasty. Not a very good amp, very noisy.
    Puma most of the Rhino have been "Micro Chipped" but this is just for scanning the horn if found.
    To insert a transmitter would require a lot of space and then the animal would have to be captured on a regular basis to have batteries replaced. The Timbavati has a very healthy population and this would be almost an impossible task never mind the costs involved.
    I am still looking for old hearing aids and DSTV dishes with the LNB arm attached. From this we can make a very good listening apparatus.
    Full moo is coming up soon, so I will have to get my things ready.
    Sad part is that the poachers have changed tactics. Shooting just before sunset, as they know that they can not be tracked very easily at night. There are ways to track them at night, but very costly.
    Regards
    Dave
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5

Thanks Dave ,I get it,did not realise this method needed batt.

My farther wears or uses hearing aids,I am sure he has an old set at home will check with them now.Let u know asap.

Does anybody know how to get hold of Davejackaman urgently as I have located 1 set of hearing aids for him.

Hi puma
    [email protected]
    015 793 2663
    083 302 4473

That sounds (excuse the pun) very good.
    If you let me have your number I will call you.
    I have a friend in Jhb who flies down to this area quite often.
    regards
    Dave
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5