Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by UITZICHT View Post
    Still very happy with the bakkie. Yes i have put aftermarket magwheels and tyres . 265/65r17. Yes you can feel 'n slight lost of power but not a lot. Speedometer with the new tyres are actually more accurate than before. Busy with rocksliders,bashplate and rear replacement bumper with towbar.
    Go check on errolstyres.co.za. there they have full review etc of tye maxtrek tyres.
    Hi, UITZICHT.

Thank you for the answer including the link. I realize now that those 65 tyres will compensate for the r17 larger diameter. Am I right?

How many do you have on the odometer now?

Have a good time.

Hi
    Yes the 65 profile will.
    Only use the vehicle on some weekends.
    24000km.

About 2-3 months ago there was a comparative test between the Tunland and Isuzu 4x4. I believe the Isuzu was chosen as it is the bakkie with the oldest technology presently available.

The conclusion as I remember
    - Pricing of the Tunland is too high compared with the levels of fitment and build quality
    - The lack of difflock is irritating
    - All in all the Isuzu would be a better choice

The Cummins in the Tunland is built in China where there is a massive engine factory.

My own belief is that the Tunland trail up Baboons cannot be true. I have done Baboons in December (twice in two days) when it was dry in my Isuzu 300 d-tec, with difflock, raised suspension and winch. I was alone (one vehicle ) and we had to use all the tools to get through.
    Going up that pass as they said? No way!
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

Hi

I have seen the test etc. Luckily i got my Tunland for only R199900. Thus for that price I think it is a better buy than the kb. Now i can fully kit it and will still be below R300k. But yes I am with you on the Current price. It is the same price as the ford ranger 2.2 xl -plus 4x4. even the kb 2.5 dteq 4x4 will be better buy at that price. At R199900 a can fit a diff lock for r15k and already busy with rockslider,bashplate and rear replacement bumper(towbar) for under R15k at Rockspider4x4.

Default Re: New Foton Tunland 4x4

I have a 2016 Foton Tunland 4x4 diesel and 2nd gear keeps crunching, only 48000km on the clock. I have tried different gearbox oils, but still having the same issue. As the clutch is self adjusting, I have tried adjusting the master cylinder threaded pushrod out, but it doesnt make a difference (it only seems to move the clutch bit point up or down). I have replaced the slave cyclinder (which looked fine and wasnt leaking & I have bleed the line, so no air in system but still same issue as before. Now there is a helicopter noise in neutral with the engine running,,when you push in the clutch to the floor, the noise disappears, but when you engage the clutch (pedal out) it comes back again. Any ideas on whether this is a clutch or gearbox issue. Any thoughts appreciated as Iam pulling my hair out with trying to fix this.

I like to use 75w-90 with some Uniglide.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Yes I have tried 75w-90 with Nulon G70, but still have crunching only on down shifting to 2nd gear. I have also tried Penrite 80w-140 but still same issue. Tonight I have gone back to Penrite 75w-85 as recommended and I have drained the transfer case and put in Penrite Multi-vehicle Semi-Synthetic ATF Trans Fluid. I am hoping that by changing the Transfer case oil this time, will make a difference as I have read that the transfer case plays a key part in gear shifts (mainly as the gear stick connects to the transfer case). I will post my findings after a a few runs with the new fluid changes and whether or not the somewhat bearing noise (sounds like a helicopter, thats the only way I can describe it as its not a whining or knocking noise) goes away. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on the subject.
    Last edited by Ronwill; 2020/08/18 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronwill View Post
    I have a 2016 Foton Tunland 4x4 diesel and 2nd gear keeps crunching, only 48000km on the clock. I have tried different gearbox oils, but still having the same issue. As the clutch is self adjusting, I have tried adjusting the master cylinder threaded pushrod out, but it doesnt make a difference (it only seems to move the clutch bit point up or down). I have replaced the slave cyclinder (which looked fine and wasnt leaking & I have bleed the line, so no air in system but still same issue as before. Now there is a helicopter noise in neutral with the engine running,,when you push in the clutch to the floor, the noise disappears, but when you engage the clutch (pedal out) it comes back again. Any ideas on whether this is a clutch or gearbox issue. Any thoughts appreciated as Iam pulling my hair out with trying to fix this.
    The helicopter noise is the clutch release bearing. Often caused due to poor adjustment (partial pre-engagement) or driving with a foot resting on the clutch pedal.

The second gear crunch is a worn synchromesh ring and will require a partial gearbox rebuild. Often caused by low grade oils or heavy loads and frequent gearchanges from 1st to 2nd. Combine with with a badly adjusted clutch and the wear is inevitable.

I assume the vehicle has had all four services in 4 years?

Changing the transfer case oil has helped with down shifting into 2nd gear (changing down into 2nd at about 30km/h no crunch anything above that still has a crunch, so I think you are right about the 2nd gear syncro is going/gone bad.(i can put up with that).

The clutch bell housing noise is still there though (louder when cold then intermittent when warmed up. I have noticed that the revs fluctuate and it runs a bit rough for a few seconds on startup after sitting for the night).

After hours of googling there are 3 probable causes, Release bearing/throwout bearing, Pilot Bearing or input shaft bearing. Lots of conflicting diagnoses on the internet about how to tell which one is the issue.

I've ruled out:
    Pilot bearing - As went I push the clutch pedal to the floor, No noise

Up in the Air about Release bearing or Input shaft bearing

Release bearing normally makes a noise when clutch fully pressed to the floor (clutch disengaged), but may still make a noise as too close to the pressure plate and may slap around until it fully pressed against the pressure plate fingers..

Input shaft bearing could be the cause as this normally makes a noise when the clutch pedal is up & everything is spinning in neutral (no gears selected) & the noise will stop when the clutch pedal is pushed in disengaging the gearbox (stopping the gearbox from spinning).

Just wondering if I add Kendall limited slip Axle additive to the gearbox oil, whether this will help lubricate the input shaft bearing inside the gearbox (to rule it out)??

Can't believe this truck has only 48000 on the clock and is having clutch gearbox issues.

Any thoughts about the above mentioned points

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3