Fibreglass canopy

Default Fibreglass canopy

Does anybody know if there are fibreglass canopies available with side access doors ? Is it only the alu canopies that have that ?

Not that I know of but you can change yours remove the windows get the shape right where the window was, you can easily make yourself some doors with aluminium sheet couple of hinges garage door handles with locks and rubber to seal the doors off from water and dust. On the inside you can mount your "cupboards" to the make them as the alu cab's. Quite easy to do, a friend of mine made his I think in a weekends time! I was planning that on my fibrglass canopy and then got a alu cab for a bargain and yes mine is on the "Rooi Hings" and I am busy rigging it out!

Good luck that will be a nice project! And fibreglass is cheap and to work with is easy as well!
    "Ability is what gives you the opportunity belief is what gets you there"

David Maritz
    Triton - Barberian!

I have seen some fibreglass canopies with side doors on some of our contractors vans, when everybody gets back after the holidays I'll see what I can find out from them.

These two pics were posted on the forum - the Nissan has a canopy with side access doors. I tracked down the owner, and he said he'd got it from Beekman Canopies.

He had to supply his own locks, as they wanted to fit those garage door type handles, but they were happy to build the canopy using them.

I'm sure I've seen ads for fibreglass canopies with flip-up side windows, but I can't remember any details...

Edit: I knew I had seen it somewhere... Check out the accessories page on Beekman's site: http://www.beekman.co.za/accessories.php#side

I know someone who's battling to stop his Beekman's leaking problems (with regular sliding windows) though, but he's also got a Hannibal RTT on it, and apparently it was the only canopy onto which Hannibal was prepared to fit a RTT without it being strengthened first. Gotta be some significance in that...

Edit again: Duh... I was googling for it, in amongst the work, for so long that SteveB pipped me to the post with his reply!
    Last edited by stadleroux; 2007/12/21 at 10:39 AM.

Default Fibreglass vs Alu canopies

Beekman can definitely supply a canopy with side windows opening. However it becomes pricy. I went through the costing exercise a month or two ago. With a few extras like colourcoding, rear sliding window and brakelight and side windows opening the fibre canopy works out more than an alu canopy. I fitted the African outback canopy with rail on top and dust proofing kit at West Rand Off-Road for less than the Beekman option.

Alu can carry more weight on top and effectively has a built in roofrack whereas this is an extra over and above the fibreglass canopy's price.
    Also the alu canopy side doors are larger than the fibreglass(size of standard window) therefor easier access. Will post picture as soon as I have available.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Halfjob's got a canopy with glass that flips up.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Not even the price differance try the weight differance, my aly cab weighs nothing compared to the fibre glass canopy I had on!
    "Ability is what gives you the opportunity belief is what gets you there"

David Maritz
    Triton - Barberian!

You can also look at "Bucco" canpies. I've seen they also manufacture canopies with flip up side doors. Good luck.

Default African Outback Canopy

Here's the best picture I have of my canopy at present.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Di's mos nou 'n canopy. Ek het 'n fiberglass job op my drifter gehad, maar moes hom laat versterk vir die roofrack en daktent maar hy het maar nog steeds gekraak. Dit was seker die baie vuurmaak hout op die dak. Het die keer besluit om ook 'n alu canopy te kry ve my nuwe ranger. Ek dink hulle is baie meer veelseidig en sterker. Ek weet nie presies hoeveel nie, maar daar is ook heelwat verskillende fabrikate om van te kies.
    Deon Viljoen

2011 Land Rover Defender 110 Puma -
    Previous: 2007 3.0L Ford ranger TDCi D/C 4x4 with aluminium canopy, 55L water tank, Air lifters and Ironman suspension.
    Long ago: 2001 2.5 Mazda Drifter TD D/C 4x4 with reinforced fiberglass canopy, 55L water tank, 135L fuel tank and Camel suspension.