Thoughts on 2nd hand Engel 60 Litre Fridge/Freezer Combo?

Question Thoughts on 2nd hand Engel 60 Litre Fridge/Freezer Combo?

Hi,

Seems a good deal in the 2nd hand section. I wouldn't have considered a fridge this big for my Disco 2 before but the price seems quite compelling.

According to Grant, the seller, the fridge is about 5 years old (no warranty) and hasn't worked hard. It runs well and is in good condition.

I believe that the Engels (apart from the 40l) are loud and the combo cannot be set to 2 fridges or 2 freezers. The Disco 2 doesn't have an abundance of space for light/medium overlanding so size-wise this isn't optimal (having said this, I haven't seen or test fitted it yet).

I'm tight on money at the moment but don't want to 'look a gift horse in the mouth'. I'm looking for opinions please... Would you dig deep and buy it?

Alex
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

Alex, if you are tight on space and actually need a smaller fridge they are selling 40L at Makro for R7,999 last time I looked.

Second hand fridge freezers seem to fetch the same price as when the unit was bought
    I wouldnt pay more than half the price of the original price - i.e 5 years ago was 5k for a fridge to ask for 5k today is cheeky in my opinion
    That same fridge now costs 7k but comes with a warentee of some sorts from the shop so to pay 5k with no warentee for the fridge doesnt make sense.
    Although market prices rule ??
    Ross

I decided against the 60 and went with a 40 instead for the reason that the 60 was huge and took up a large portion of my double cab's space. They also need a bit more power to run. Measure your disco's boot against the size of the 60. Maybe it could work for you though.
    2004 Nissan Hardbody D/C 4x4 2.4 16v
    2011 Suzuki Jimny

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I decided against the 60 and went with a 40 instead for the reason that the 60 was huge and took up a large portion of my double cab's space. They also need a bit more power to run. Measure your disco's boot against the size of the 60. Maybe it could work for you though.
    Good choice.
    I got rid of my new 60l Engel because I couldn't live with the noise - seriously. Sold it to a guy who argued that it does not bother him one bit. Good for him.

The 40l is a lot quieter.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Few months ago in the process of buying a fridge I was also put off by the noise of the bigger Engel fridges, don't even want to imagine what it will sound like at night in the quiet bush while camping.

Surprised about the noise issue with 60L, have an 80L Engel that must be at least 10 yrs old that is not noisy.
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."