EB License - The Actual valid process

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Default EB License - The Actual valid process

Hi everyone,

I know there is a thread here that deals with EB licenses. But, having just completed mine this morning, I thought I would convey the actual process that one goes through. Perhaps the mods can sticky this?

So, in pre-1999 all old code 8 licenses were made code EB licenses. If you received your license after this, you would have gotten a code B (if you only went with a car and no trailer). The difference:

Code B = Light motor vehicle and can tow trailer up to 750kg
    Code EB = light motor vehicle and can tow trailer <3500kg (IF - your vehicle is rated to tow such a trailer and if the vehicle weight is more - GVM - than the trailer weight, unless the trailer has breaks (service and emergency) - this brakes theory piece needs citation)

So the process: one needs to redo the learners license. Cost is R108 at time of booking and R168 if you pass, to issue. You can then tow the vehicle for 1 year with a qualified EB driver with you.

You then book for the drivers test (R108 as well iirc) (Edenvale waiting period currently 4-6 weeks to get a test date. Booking can be done at the testing facility - goes for Edenvale, not sure about the others).

Then my suggestion is to get some lessons, to refresh all the K53 stuff. I found a awesome instructor (Trudi from a perfect beginning www.aperfectbeginning.co.za) who does not treat you like an invalid and focuses on passing the test first time. All driving schools charge around R250 per hour. Lessons are typically 2 hours. I had 3 2 hour lessons. You will need your own vehicle and trailer as their vehicles are often not heavy enough to tow an off road trailer or caravan and you will use this vehicle in the test. I did mine in the Pajero Sport and conqueror conquest and all was ok. it's a bit tight on the parking, but no major issues.

the driving test then consists of:
    Pre-trip inspection with trailer and car.
    1 x 90° left turn moving forward with trailer (don't touch the lines or stop halfway).
    1 x 20m straight reverse with the trailer
    1 x alley dock from the right. The alley is double the width and length of the normal alley dock and you have oodles of time to line it up. (the same alley is used for the code C licences, so imagine the space available...more than enough, i.e 3.5m wide)
    1 x incline pull away with the trailer
    2 x parallel parking without the trailer.

you then do a normal driving test on the public roads with the trailer attached. Think blind spots, checks, gear changes, full stops, speed limits etc.

Once passed, you get a temp license valid for 6 months and you collect the card within 6-8 weeks. so 8 weeks (R228 to issue).

I hope this helps all those folks of my age finding themselves in the midst of this piece of admin.
    Last edited by SILVERPUMA; 2013/05/10 at 11:47 AM.

4x4AG GP0104

Pajero Sport 2013 MT
    2008 Defender 110 PUMA AKA Wiskey - SOLD.

"If you're only killing time, it'll kill you right back"

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SILVERPUMA For This Useful Post:

Thats very helpfull. When you get the learners and are allowed to tow with someone who has the license i assume it must be without other passengers?
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2010 jimny - sold what a 4x4
    2001 colt V6 - sold (drinker)

total pain for those that have to do it...

just a note - the EB licence entitles you to drive a vehicle with GVM of 3500kg or less with a trailer not exceeding the vehicle's tow rating, provided such trailer and vehicle are properly equipped.

Some vehicles can tow in excess of 3500kg - I think the Defender is rated for 6000kg provided it is in low range, a lot of the 'merican fullsize pickups are rated for around that too.

Quote Originally Posted by whatyamacallit View Post
    Thats very helpfull. When you get the learners and are allowed to tow with someone who has the license i assume it must be without other passengers?
    As far as I know the terms of the learners is exactly the same as for the normal learners but you may tow the trailer
    Note that your original code B stays valid throughout. so does not effect normal day to day driving at all.
    Last edited by SILVERPUMA; 2013/05/10 at 12:34 PM.

4x4AG GP0104

Pajero Sport 2013 MT

I also need to get it done. But what a mission
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    +1

Sal seker vuur maak onder my alie as ons ernstig begin kyk na n sleepwa.......ons kyk al ernstig, maar die wallet will nie saam speel nie.

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    +1

But looking at the size of cars that keep on getting bigger with the introduction of new models, and obviously the gross vehicle mass...and rigs like F250 (I stand to be corrected) Toyota Quantum requiring code above 'B'...Is it better to do code C1 or EC1

I still have to EB but still confused

Quote Originally Posted by PESM View Post
    +1

But looking at the size of cars that keep on getting bigger with the introduction of new models, and obviously the gross vehicle mass...and rigs like F250 (I stand to be corrected) Toyota Quantum requiring code above 'B'...Is it better to do code C1 or EC1

I still have to EB but still confused
    All depends on your needs. If you plan on driving a vehicle heavier than a GVM of 3500 (so F250) or more than 9 passengers (so Quantum) then you need a code C license. A mere code C licence however only allows towing of a trailer up to 750kgs - same as code B. the "E" in front of it means you can tow a heavier load 3500kgs or the max rated tow weight of the towing vehicle .

So, if you plan on driving something less than 3500kg's but towing something more than 750kgs, then EB is the way to go. If you plan on driving something heavier then code C and if you plan on towing something heavier too then go straight to code EC (1) no need to to EB first. The difference between the EC and EB test is the vehicle you use (EC vehicles are trucks with trailers and you need to rent these at around R1500 per test) and the EC test does not have a parallel parking component. EB you do the parallel parking without the trailer.

4x4AG GP0104

Pajero Sport 2013 MT

Best to get a longish trailer... reversing works much better, like a boat trailer or something like that.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Not applicable to anyone here, so useless information I suppose... But it's also important to note that unlike the "olden days"; you cannot drive a car or anything requiring a "B" if you go straight for an "EC1" as a first license. You'll have to go for a B license as well.

Sooo glad I have an EC1!
    Edgar

Nissan X-Trail 2.5CVT

Quote Originally Posted by Honda CRV View Post
    Not applicable to anyone here, so useless information I suppose... But it's also important to note that unlike the "olden days"; you cannot drive a car or anything requiring a "B" if you go straight for an "EC1" as a first license. You'll have to go for a B license as well.

Sooo glad I have an EC1!
    I am no expert, but that seems unfair.
    I have a big bike licence, so why should I be penalised not being ale to ride something smaller?
    Must book learners again for either EB or EC. Did my licence in 98 and only got a B.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda CRV View Post

Sooo glad I have an EC1!
    This was only for a month, and then they went back to the old rule. You can drive a B vehicle with a Ec1 lic.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Are the new learners not valid for 2 years?

Another question I have is that when I go for the EB test with a auto vehicle, will that restriction supersede my old code B without any endorsements?
    Francois
    V6 Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbar View Post
    Are the new learners not valid for 2 years?

Another question I have is that when I go for the EB test with a auto vehicle, will that restriction supersede my old code B without any endorsements?
    my learners was valid for a year. but i've heard 2 years and also 18monhts. all I can say is what my learners had on.

WRT the auto restriction, that's a good question. the test official told me that the new licence will REPLACE the old one. therefore, the old one is no longer valid. Based on this purely, I would say that you then have a EB with Auto box restriction? but i'm guessing.

4x4AG GP0104

Pajero Sport 2013 MT

Hey Silverpuma

1. where is the edenvale facility, i would like to go visit them this week.
    2. i am a bit confused, you need a big trailer (>750kg) to do the test, in order to buy or rent one of these you need to have an EB licence as far as i know.

I have a B license and drive a T6 ranger, looking at getting a caravan of some sorts (not offroad though)

Thus for me to do the driving test, i have to rent a say XT140 or something along those lines. but if i do i need an EB license.

I have rented some of these big double axle braked trailers for moving purposes (without even thinking about my license) but i am not sure what the weight of these are. dont think the Tare is too much.

Current:
    2012 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS D/C 4x4 White
    Previous:
    2011 Focus ST 3Dr White
    BMW 120i Standard
    Mazda BT50 2.5 SC
    Polo 1.9tdi with 18s
    Polo 1.6 with CAI, FF & 17s
    Corsa 1.3 sport with 15s, CAI, FF & Sound
    Ford Tracer 1.3 PiMpEd

I have looked at the following vehicles to do the EB test in:

1. Nissan Tiida 1.6 hatch (for the ease of parallel parking);
    2. Toyota Condor 2400;
    3. Land Cruiser 100 4500efi;
    4. Hyundai Elantra 1.6;
    5. Ford Ranger 2.5td SC.
    Of all of these ONLY the LC100 can legally tow up to 1500kg GVM (4660kg GCM - 3160kg GVM). All of the others are limited to 1000kg GVM. And I cannot find a trailer weighing more than 750kg GVM and less/equal to 1000kg GVM. The rentals are either 750kg or 1500kg.

(Do not want to do it in the Ranger, that can legally tow up to 2200kg, due to it being an auto. I don't want the restriction.)
    Jurgen

Did my eb with the hardbody no problem. Maby ask the test officer to mark it as a manual not to have the restriction just a thought
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

Thanks for the write up!...

Just wish there was a way for me to do these bookings and know that i wll be in town to do them.. haha..
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

I went to edenvale last week thursday, it wasnt too painful
    did my eye test (waited about 30minutes)
    then booked my appointment to write, paid, got my slip for payment and out of there all in probably less than an hour and a half....

Current:
    2012 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS D/C 4x4 White
    Previous:
    2011 Focus ST 3Dr White
    BMW 120i Standard
    Mazda BT50 2.5 SC
    Polo 1.9tdi with 18s
    Polo 1.6 with CAI, FF & 17s
    Corsa 1.3 sport with 15s, CAI, FF & Sound
    Ford Tracer 1.3 PiMpEd

Quote Originally Posted by Qtex View Post
    I went to edenvale last week thursday, it wasnt too painful
    did my eye test (waited about 30minutes)
    then booked my appointment to write, paid, got my slip for payment and out of there all in probably less than an hour and a half....
    Glad you came right! only saw the post with the question today - was travelling a bit...for the learners goto http://www.getyourlearners.co.za/ and register. they have a whole heap of mock tests. which I found easier than studying for the blerrie thing again. being a free service also helps

4x4AG GP0104

Pajero Sport 2013 MT

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast