EB License - The Actual valid process - Page 2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

I just returned from the EB test... I PASSED!! Made a few mistakes on the road, but my yard portion was full marks. I cannot believe that after almost 14 years on the road I can stress so much for a test!
    Jurgen

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenH View Post
    I have looked at the following vehicles to do the EB test in:

1. Nissan Tiida 1.6 hatch (for the ease of parallel parking);
    2. Toyota Condor 2400;
    3. Land Cruiser 100 4500efi;
    4. Hyundai Elantra 1.6;
    5. Ford Ranger 2.5td SC.
    Of all of these ONLY the LC100 can legally tow up to 1500kg GVM (4660kg GCM - 3160kg GVM). All of the others are limited to 1000kg GVM. And I cannot find a trailer weighing more than 750kg GVM and less/equal to 1000kg GVM. The rentals are either 750kg or 1500kg.

(Do not want to do it in the Ranger, that can legally tow up to 2200kg, due to it being an auto. I don't want the restriction.)
    Jurgen,
    A friend and I went through the pain of getting towing licenses last year. I did my EC and he did EB. While he was busy with his yard test, a few people gathered to watch (he did it in my Hilux) and everybody was of opinion that he was stupid to do the license in such a big vehicle. One of the guys in the group was a driving instructor. I asked him why do they say that, because the law states certain rules regarding towing mass (I explained all the rules mentioned above) and that the Hilux/braked trailer (with a GVM of 1500kg) was the only legal combination.

Here is the kicker!
    He said to me that the test people (toets beampte, kan nie nou aan die engelse byskrywing dink nie) only checks whether the trailer towed is braked, and whether the GVM is more than 750kg. The rest they do not care (or know) about! He said that all his people he brings for the EB test, does it with a Getz and a braked trailer, regardless of correct weights. I was shocked to say the least.
    He also mentioned that the only testing station in Gauteng that was officially trained to evaluate the EB test, was Centurion. The rest was on a "what they believe is correct" basis. This was confirmed by my friend as the test person (beampte) made him unhook the trailer in the wrong place during the test and he was forced to push the trailer on a grass embankment as to allow him to do his parallel parking.

Corné

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Corné Wagemaker View Post
    Jurgen,
    A friend and I went through the pain of getting towing licenses last year. I did my EC and he did EB. While he was busy with his yard test, a few people gathered to watch (he did it in my Hilux) and everybody was of opinion that he was stupid to do the license in such a big vehicle. One of the guys in the group was a driving instructor. I asked him why do they say that, because the law states certain rules regarding towing mass (I explained all the rules mentioned above) and that the Hilux/braked trailer (with a GVM of 1500kg) was the only legal combination.

Here is the kicker!
    He said to me that the test people (toets beampte, kan nie nou aan die engelse byskrywing dink nie) only checks whether the trailer towed is braked, and whether the GVM is more than 750kg. The rest they do not care (or know) about! He said that all his people he brings for the EB test, does it with a Getz and a braked trailer, regardless of correct weights. I was shocked to say the least.
    He also mentioned that the only testing station in Gauteng that was officially trained to evaluate the EB test, was Centurion. The rest was on a "what they believe is correct" basis. This was confirmed by my friend as the test person (beampte) made him unhook the trailer in the wrong place during the test and he was forced to push the trailer on a grass embankment as to allow him to do his parallel parking.

Corné

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    not sure how much of a legal point of few this is, but i suppose as long as the trailer is empty, meaning pulling it on a scale, it will be reading legal weights, perhaps there for you can get away with a trailer that is illegal (laden to it's max legal limit) behind a smaller car
    1992 Toyota Land Cruiser 80, S/W GX 4500 Manual
    1994 Toyota Camry 2.2 SEi
    2012 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 awd
    Montero (Pajero) Sport 3.5 (usa)

Thanks for all the info above as I am sitting with this problem at the moment! Wanted to rent a Conqueror trailer - but no EB license...

As mentioned by somebody above, how do you legally get a trailer to do the test with if you don't have an EB license?? The only option I can think of is to have your learners and then have an EB licensed guy rent the trailer and accompany you to the test?! I suppose you can "practice" with a normal < 750kg trailer and then do the test with the "rental" trailer?
    2011 Defender Puma 110 - "The Hulk"
    4x4 Action Group - GP0012

Quote Originally Posted by Spook13 View Post
    Thanks for all the info above as I am sitting with this problem at the moment! Wanted to rent a Conqueror trailer - but no EB license...

As mentioned by somebody above, how do you legally get a trailer to do the test with if you don't have an EB license?? The only option I can think of is to have your learners and then have an EB licensed guy rent the trailer and accompany you to the test?! I suppose you can "practice" with a normal < 750kg trailer and then do the test with the "rental" trailer?
    I had the same issue. Luckily I had the trailer. But, I would do as you suggest for the test. Let the "licensed" guy drive to the testing grounds with the trailer he rented, then you do the test, then return the trailer. I bribed my FIL for the purpose.

For practice...Most driving school instructors have EB licences - if you want go that route, but none I found had trailers for rent. remember the test is K53 vibes, so blinds spots and all that apply. Might be worth a few lessons to wash out the rust.

4x4AG GP0104

Pajero Sport 2013 MT
    2008 Defender 110 PUMA AKA Wiskey - SOLD.

"If you're only killing time, it'll kill you right back"

Quote Originally Posted by Spook13 View Post

once you have an EB learners it's legal for you to tow the trailer, provided you have an EB licenced driver with you

just like getting any other licence.

I'd highly recommend just going to a driving school for a couple of lessons and going with them for the test too.

just makes life easier.

I will just go the code 14 route, its articulated vehicle too.

I want to go do a C or EC so that I can buy a Unimog or similar 4x4 truck rated >3.5t GVM. Some nice Tata 4x4 FC trucks standing at Stormvoel.

Around R120k, then buy an old short container or similar (ex-military radio/comms body?) and rig for overland.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Genissie View Post
    not sure how much of a legal point of few this is, but i suppose as long as the trailer is empty, meaning pulling it on a scale, it will be reading legal weights, perhaps there for you can get away with a trailer that is illegal (laden to it's max legal limit) behind a smaller car
    So my vriend het toe weer gegaan vir sy lisensie en hierdie keer met my Corolla en n braked trailer van GVM 1.5T.
    Volgens wetlikke gewigte, nie geldig nie, maar die toets beampte het net gekyk of hy meer as 750KG GVM is.
    Toets gedoen, toets geslaag.

Lucky me, mine is eb when they changed over from code 08
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by Corné Wagemaker View Post
    So my vriend het toe weer gegaan vir sy lisensie en hierdie keer met my Corolla en n braked trailer van GVM 1.5T.
    Volgens wetlikke gewigte, nie geldig nie, maar die toets beampte het net gekyk of hy meer as 750KG GVM is.
    Toets gedoen, toets geslaag.
    E
    Mac A
    *Disco 3 TDV6 HSE

Default Automatic towing restriction

Quote Originally Posted by SILVERPUMA View Post
    my learners was valid for a year. but i've heard 2 years and also 18monhts. all I can say is what my learners had on.

WRT the auto restriction, that's a good question. the test official told me that the new licence will REPLACE the old one. therefore, the old one is no longer valid. Based on this purely, I would say that you then have a EB with Auto box restriction? but i'm guessing.
    Hi all... This sticky helped me a lot as I'm busy doing my EB at the moment. Got my learners (process was painless and quick, studying was the challenge), and registering for my drivers was also painless. Kempton gave me a test date of less than 4 weeks from when I booked, which is also much earlier than I expected.

Anyways, regarding the auto question, I was also curious about this, as my original license I did in a manual, and didn't want to lose that if I did it in an auto on EB.
    Good news though, my driving school lady knew one of the examiners who was at Kempton on Saturday... And we asked him about this (his name is John). He said if you already have a B and are just doing a EB for towing purposes, like a add-on, then you can do it in an auto and won't get a restriction for auto as they are technically only looking for competence in towing.

That is great news, so now I'll definitely be doing it in an Auto, no clutch control around the yard will definitely make it all easier... It could be incorrect info, but my driving school said when were there we can just ask John to come reconfirm it if we had any issues not having the restriction.

My test is on 25th August so will let u know if I get the restriction or not, but not expecting it.

Btw, if u looking for a driving school for EB in Kempton or Edenvale, Salome from Green Light Driving School is brilliant (0710582315).

Let me know if any of you have any questions on EB

Default EB driving test - on the day

I went for my drivers test on Monday 25th August, and got it (thank goodness). It really does bring out all the stresses of being an 18 year old doing your drivers test all over again!!

None the less, the process was pretty painless. I did 3 x two hour lessons with Salome (number in previous post, who is brilliant at EB by the way), R190 per hour, and that was sufficient I would say.

The automatic issue is a problem though. Salome followed up with someone else at Kempton testing station and they confirmed that if you do your EB in an Auto, you WILL be restricted on your entire licence, as in, your B with no restrictions will fall away. So John was wrong (ironically, he is the one that did my actual test on Monday).

Conclusion: RATHER JUST DO IT IN A MANUAL. Not worth the risk!

So I got my boet's manual car, but used my XT140. Tare on the car was less than GVM of trailer, but when I went to rent a trailer, those GVM's were even bigger (even though the actual empty weight would have been lighter than my XT140), but they didnt check this, so thats good news! Otherwise the car you have to go test with will need to be a big car, and you'd struggle with parallel parking possibly.

Make sure all your lights are working. I had a questionable park light on my trailer and they initially wanted to stop the test but luckily a senior guy came out and was willing to overlook it!!

So test structure is:
    - Outside car check
    - Inside car check
    - Parallel parking from left and right (two attempts) car only
    - 3 point turn (one attempt) car only
    - hitch trailer
    - Outside trailer check and light check
    - Alley docking (two attempts) car and trailer, much wider angle
    - Lane change (inside yard, one attempt) car and trailer
    - Straight reversal (one attempt) car and trailer
    - Incline (one attempt) no rolling, car and trailer
    - Road test, pretty much same as Code 8 but with trailer in tow

Thats it. They issue you a temp licence and it takes 6 weeks for your card to be ready! Feels good to have this behind me!

All the best with your EB's!
    Cheers
    Simon
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    2012 Summit Everest
    2012 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDi AWD (SOLD)
    2011 Jurgens XT140 (SOLD)

Strange?

So, in pre-1999 all old code 8 licenses were made code EB licenses. If you received your license after this, you would have gotten a code B (if you only went with a car and no trailer).

Did my licence in 2001, still when it was 08 and when they converted to the ID card type it was automatically changed to EB.

Wow you were lucky, I also got my license in 2001 but I got the card straight away so no EB for me...
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    2012 Summit Everest
    2012 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDi AWD (SOLD)
    2011 Jurgens XT140 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by skypta View Post
    Strange?

So, in pre-1999 all old code 8 licenses were made code EB licenses. If you received your license after this, you would have gotten a code B (if you only went with a car and no trailer).

Did my licence in 2001, still when it was 08 and when they converted to the ID card type it was automatically changed to EB.
    Did my licence in 1998, only got a B.

I did my code 11 in 1989 to drive a Code 10 vegetable truck to the market on weekends.
    -then when the cards were first issued, I got an EC-which I still have-yet I've never driven a code 14 truck!

Now-what does one need to do to get a PDP nowadays?-and the cost?

I would like to get this sometime, and will then go to a driving school to get some hours on an interlink-the cost of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post

Now-what does one need to do to get a PDP nowadays?-and the cost?

I would like to get this sometime, and will then go to a driving school to get some hours on an interlink-the cost of this?
    OK, this is the process. Go to license / testing station. Get police fingerprint form and medical examination form.

Take id, copy of id and fingerprint form to police station. Get fingerprints taken. Pay R35.

Wait 4-6 weeks, get report from police station.

Take medical form go to dr. Some blood tests for drugs, blood pressure & basic health check.
    R150 at dr's who has specials for truckers else normal consultation fee. Go back to traffic dept and pay normal fees for card renewal.

PrDP expires every 2 yrs, then you have to renew card. As far as heavy goods vehicles, I believe nowadays you cannot drive even an empty truck without PrDP.

apart from driving lessons, also do a few trips in passenger seat with a trucker on actual work trips.

I drove links 2 yrs in Africa & articulted trucks 4 yrs in Europe.

I really think the auto thing is a joke
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by skypta View Post
    Strange?

Very strange, I did mine in 1998, and i have a code B today?
    2014 AutoAmaRock
    RSI Signature Canopy
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/70 R17

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast