Default Roadworthy Advice (Series II windscreen)

I've been driving my Series II everyday for 5 years with an up to date license every year.

I went to renew a few weeks ago only to be told I need to have the old boy road worthied again.

Everything has passed except for the windows... They are all regular glass, not shatterproof and SABS approved, which is really dangerous!!!

National Auto Glass and PG Glass don't really know how to help me. They can only cut Shatterproof glass to fit but that apparently won't pass on the windscreen

I don't have a traditional Series split windscreen, but I'm not sure a Defender windscreen would fit.

Does anyone know what I can do? or who I could speak to?

I'm leaving for Mozambique in 3 weeks and need the license renewed!!!

Thanks a lot!!!
    Last edited by Wimpy Hightop; 2013/05/09 at 05:38 PM.

2008 Defender Puma 2.4
    1963 Series IIA

Would laminated glass suffice or is that the same as Shatterproof?

Apparently it needs the SABS "e" stamp of approval on it?
    How do I get that?

2008 Defender Puma 2.4
    1963 Series IIA

i would suggust going to a different location for roadworthy. my windows are not sabs approved as i doubt it existed when the glass was made. sounds like they are hoping you miss the 10 day free retest and have to pay them a second time.. i would rather go someplace else and pay. when i had my checked last year they never looked at the glass or anything.
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

I also thought it was a weird request. I do totally understand that for safety reasons it should maybe be shatterproof, so maybe I'll fit that and take it somewhere else.

2008 Defender Puma 2.4
    1963 Series IIA

Hi. On older cars with flat windscreens, it doesn't have to be shatterprufe, but does have to be laminated.
    My series has all the windows replaced with laminated, except for the curved windows, and passed roadworthy with them.
    Just get a letter from the glass place to say the windows are laminated.

I think the roadworthy place is being funny. The old vehicles WON'T have SABS on the windscreen glass because the glass pre-dates the requirement!

Try another roadworthy bunch, any of the DEKRA accredited roadworthy centers can provide a valid, legal roadworthy certificate.

Durban City

80 A Florence Nzama Street
    (old name Prince Alfred Street)
    Between West Lane and Hunter Street,
    Durban,
    Tel: 031 332 921/3
    Fax: 031 332 9220
    S2951'16'' E311'55''

Durban Pinetown

55 Escom Road,
    New Germany (in the Total Garage)

Tel: 031 705 9201/2
    Fax: 031 7057206
    S2948'51'' E3052'45''
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Hold on guys you get Shatterprufe which is a brand name - it does not need to be Shatterprufe
    What it does need to be is Shatterproof or laminated with a SABS stamp on it we used to cut glass for busses and put the stamp on - its acid and burns a mark in the glass they will however not stamp your old glass they will have to either cut a new one or supply on from a supplier

I will get hold of Jay's number for You at USG Durban excellent guy and competitive pricing

Is it not strange how the law is applied in different places. I have had my Series 1 for 53 years and it had it's last roadworthy in 1991 when I did a rebuild. Never had a problem doing the licence annually.

Two weeks ago my Series 2A, went through the test, and all the glass except for the windscreen is new 6mm shatter proof and there was no query. The windscreens are still the old laminated glass from the 60's with no markings on indicating what they are.

What I had done to my glass after it was cut, just it the interest of a bit of safety, I had "smash and grab" fitted onto the inside of the glass before fitting to the Landy. At least that way pieces hopefully will not go flying around all over the place in the event of an incident.
    Have a happy day and keep smiling.
    Do not follow me, I am also lost!
    Ham Call Sign ZR5VW
    1958 Series 1 109" Truck Cab (Gone to a new home)
    1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon (GONE TO GERMANY)

Mine was taken through the test when I purchased it in January 2013. The front wind screen is also a split one with no SABS stamp on it.

(Weather my Series actually left the yard to go for the test inspection is also debatable.)

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Quote Originally Posted by Landy Nut View Post
    Is it not strange how the law is applied in different places. I have had my Series 1 for 53 years and it had it's last roadworthy in 1991 when I did a rebuild. Never had a problem doing the licence annually.

Two weeks ago my Series 2A, went through the test, and all the glass except for the windscreen is new 6mm shatter proof and there was no query. The windscreens are still the old laminated glass from the 60's with no markings on indicating what they are.

What I had done to my glass after it was cut, just it the interest of a bit of safety, I had "smash and grab" fitted onto the inside of the glass before fitting to the Landy. At least that way pieces hopefully will not go flying around all over the place in the event of an incident.
    This is the first time I have heard of having to redo a roadworthy for an old vehicle. (Unless the vehicle has changed ownership)

Is it a KZN thing only ?
    2000 LandRover Discovery Td5 ES
    2004 Isuzu Kb 250D

Quote Originally Posted by Wimpy Hightop View Post
    I've been driving my Series II everyday for 5 years with an up to date license every year.

I went to renew a few weeks ago only to be told I need to have the old boy road worthied again.

Everything has passed except for the windows... They are all regular glass, not shatterproof and SABS approved, which is really dangerous!!!

National Auto Glass and PG Glass don't really know how to help me. They can only cut Shatterproof glass to fit but that apparently won't pass on the windscreen

I don't have a traditional Series split windscreen, but I'm not sure a Defender windscreen would fit.

Does anyone know what I can do? or who I could speak to?

I'm leaving for Mozambique in 3 weeks and need the license renewed!!!

Thanks a lot!!!
    I Agree with Vleipadda

I work for one of the above mentioned companies. Unfortunately you were helped at the counter by someone who doesn`t know what they`re doing or they were just plain not interested in helping you. I do a lot of windscreens for a client who does game viewer conversions with custom built windscreen frames. Same as building a house.....if there`s supposed to be safety glass in certain places it needs to be marked, by etching or sandblasting or whatever method they use.

As long as it`s a flat glass....they can put 6.38 pvb laminated glass, etched with the sabs "1" .... And don`t let them charge you an arm and a leg. That shouldn`t cost you more than R500. Pity your so far otherwise I could`ve helped you.

don`t hesitate to pm me if you need more info.
    "If nothing goes right......turn left"

1969 Series IIa 109" "Jack" -(Current project)
    1996 Pajero Exceed 2.8 TD "Lorrie" (Past)

I cant find my telephone book grrrrr will go around at my previous company and get Jay's number and all and all

Quote Originally Posted by $py View Post
    I Agree with Vleipadda

I work for one of the above mentioned companies. Unfortunately you were helped at the counter by someone who doesn`t know what they`re doing or they were just plain not interested in helping you. I do a lot of windscreens for a client who does game viewer conversions with custom built windscreen frames. Same as building a house.....if there`s supposed to be safety glass in certain places it needs to be marked, by etching or sandblasting or whatever method they use.

As long as it`s a flat glass....they can put 6.38 pvb laminated glass, etched with the sabs "1" .... And don`t let them charge you an arm and a leg. That shouldn`t cost you more than R500. Pity your so far otherwise I could`ve helped you.

don`t hesitate to pm me if you need more info.
    We used to supply only 1 half of a split screen for R450 - min charge and app R750 a full windscreen

Ek wonder nou ook, hoekom die redo vsn roadworthy,
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.