Chembe eagles nest or gecko lounge?

Default Chembe eagles nest or gecko lounge?

Hi everyone

I will be visiting Lake Malawi for 3 days in the beggining of July, on our way from Zambia to Mos.

From what I can see the best places to stay is either Chembe Eagles Nest or Gecko lounge. Which of these would be the nicest option to stay at?

Am I correct in saying that these are the best options or are there better options?

Thank you
    Jacques

We stayed at danforth yachting. Was probably one of my best times ever. There is no equal in that area, Howard and Michelle are the owners and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The facilities is just excellent with diving, sailing sunset cruises on the only yacht on Lake Malawi and other watersport to name but a few.
    Don't even get me started on the food.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Thanks pietswies

I was looking at danforth. Looks amazing! Sadly not everyone in our group is willing to pay the premium price that I saw on their site...

Thus the 2 cheaper options mentioned...

Yeah they are a bit more pricey, either way such a beautiful spot, gecko lounge looked like a nice spot as well and has a nice vibe to it. Had a beer or 2 there, not sure about eagles nest.
    I am jealous, enjoy!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Hi Jacques,
    To me, Chembe Eagles Nest is the best choice between both, at the end of the village, a lot more quiet.
    If you can, do a kayak (or motorboat) trip up to Domwe Island and spend one night or two. It's a kind of paradise.
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jacques,

It was a close thing, or we moved from Eagles Nest to the Backpackers in the "town" part of Cape Maclear.

All that stopped us, was that we had already set up camp and deployed the Echo 4 trailer and had only one more night left before we moved to the island - Domwe.

Why we took to the Backpackers, is that we only needed a place to sleep. During the day we were out and about, so were not in search of a "resort".

Chembe was super luxurious if you stayed in the fixed accommodation, but very open if you camped. We were stuck right onto the beach due to our neighbours' encroachment, with no shade.

Backpackers had huge bluegum trees and an open quad leading onto the beach. Upon enquiring, we were given permission to put up the trailer in the quad and use it as before, should we stay there.

The rooms were basic - 2 beds - but very neat and clean, and at the price, there was simply no argument.

It is true about Eagles Nest that it is the most upmarket and private facilty there. "Private" translates to "isolated", and this unfortunately meant that there was nothing you could buy in close vicinity and we found we had to trek to the village by car more than once per day to top up supplies.

From Backpackers all these little shops - including the video movie house showing old martial arts films with a moerofa subwoofer adding realism - dang, that was funny - was within walking distance. OK, so a case of beer would slow you down somewhat on the way back.

Speaking of which, the nice thing about the vendors were that you could make up your case of beer of any selection of the Carlsberg brand - 3 if IIRC - and not pay a deposit for the crate or bottles, with the seller just requesting that you please bring it back when you're done. Very different from what we're used to here.

Your preference is of course personal, but what I would suggest is to make sure you have some "safe" booked accommodation, but not to pre-pay the full amount.

When you get there, scout around for alternative accommodation before you are fully "installed", then move camps if you find something more suitable.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2013/05/07 at 09:43 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the quick replies, appreciate it a lot!

Will keep you updated as to which i choose...

Cheers
    Jacques

As JJJ says at Cape Maclear everything is along a few km of the lake shore so why not have a look when you get there and see what suits.

Domwe is lovely as Pierre says but you need to be set up to camp without your car which isn't easy for some.

Are you set on staying at Cape Maclear? If not Makusi Beach (further north up the lake shore) is lovely. Also the new Nkwasi place mentioned in an earlier thread looks like it is worth a try

I like Cape Maclear (and it does have the clearest water/best snorkeling in the southern half of the lake) but it does have a lot of accommodation packed into a small area which makes it a bit more resort-like. Further up the lake you get individual lodges spaced some distance apart which tend to be a bit more peaceful. It depends what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfeet View Post
    the new Nkwasi place mentioned in an earlier thread looks like it is worth a try
    Sunga Moyo now... Yes another lovely place on the lake shore!

Pierre

We stayed at Mgoza Lodge which was recommended to us by the Kayak Africa guys who run Domwe and Mambo Islands, was very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfeet View Post
    Domwe is lovely as Pierre says but you need to be set up to camp without your car which isn't easy for some.
    Whoah, there!

The ferry has oodles of space. Technically speaking, they can take the contents of what you could cram into a car. You would not want to take everything, as e.g. your hair dryer will be useless, there being no electricity .

But, EVERYthing is available on the island. All you need is your clothes and money. You can rent anything from Kayak Africa, not only kayaks. Tent, mattress, bedding etc.

See attached - 2011 - price list for an idea of what is available on Domwe. The FAQ is also useful.

For those with deeper pockets, also attached the Mumbo island equivalent docs.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    All you need is your clothes
    At least a swimming suit.

and money.
    Even no money.
    (You can pay everything in advance).

You can also bring your own food, what we did.

Pierre

You wont be disappointed with Chembe out of what's available in the area

Whoah, there!

The ferry has oodles of space. Technically speaking, they can take the contents of what you could cram into a car. You would not want to take everything, as e.g. your hair dryer will be useless, there being no electricity .

But, EVERYthing is available on the island. All you need is your clothes and money. You can rent anything from Kayak Africa, not only kayaks. Tent, mattress, bedding etc.

See attached - 2011 - price list for an idea of what is available on Domwe. The FAQ is also useful.

For those with deeper pockets, also attached the Mumbo island equivalent docs.
    What I was thinking of JJJ is our kind of camping set up - ie roof top tent and lots of kit physically attached to the car.

Of course it's possible to hire kit/pack for a few days away but a lot of overlanders get quite dependent on the car! I can't tell you the number of times I've packed a bag for a few days in a hotel room and then been driven nuts because I'm used to being able to put my hands on everything I want in it's drawer/pocket/box in the car! But yes if you're happy to either extract what you need/hire then of course it's possible.

Hi everyone, so we booked accommodation at chembe.

Wanted to book at gecko, but they didn't have accommodation for us for the dates.

We will be spending a night on domwe as well. Thank you for all the help!