New Terracan Owner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Terracan Owner

Hey all,

I have provisionally bought a 2005 3.5 V6 Terracan in green, will take delivery on Monday or Tuesday next week. Got it for a decent price, had the dealer throw in a service plan till 150 000 kms ( cars on 112 000 kms at the moment) and a warrentee for 2 years.

I think its a pretty decent buy, a little concerned regarding the high consumption but I am happy with it,

Any advice on common faults or stuff I should look for on the car before I finalize the deal? I did call Hyundai and confirmed the SH , they told me the motor was rebuilt at 90K...should I be concerned?

I have never owned a offroad before....but I am looking foward it!

Did they say why?

no, waiting for the dealership to confirm why.

Well Zai, pm SarelF, he had a Terracan 3.5 and something simple cost them a rebuilt I think, was totally non reliability related.

Get your info and then from there get advice from pro's as to why the motor was replaced.

Other than that, they are solid.

They are probably thinking up some BS story . To have to rebuild a motor at 90000km means that there was a problem . I would not be happy with that scenario . My questions would be 1) Why did it need rebuilding at such a low mileage?? & 2)Who did the work?? . If it was fixed on the cheap to get rid of you can expect trouble in the future .
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

Also points to consider.

Why not look at a Mitsu Pajero? The 3.6/8 goes for not to bad prices, you have rear diff loc and if you dont do real off road stuff, better suspension but same consumption?

Thanks for the responses.
    Work was done at Hyundai, the selling dealer didnt tell me about it and I doubt they knew, I called Cresta and they ran the Chassis number, thats how I know.

Get hold of the previous owner & hear the REAL story why it needed rebuilding . Dealers are not known for there honesty . They just want to see the deal signed and the back-side of the Terracan so that they can add the unit to the "SOLD" column in the sales managers office
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

well, for R 105 000 I bought a 2005 3.5 V6 Terracan.
    it has 112 000 kms, FSH at the stealers.
    Squeezed them for a 2 year unlimited kms warentee and a service plan to cover the next 3 services. The dealer said that they are giving me an extra 2 years on the motor, brakes where done at 105 000kms

I think its an OK buy, it tows, so I can tow my toys around , kids go carts and bikes etc. Its big , so it can cart around the family as well.
    My initial choice was the Trailblazer , but really didnt want to finance another R 300 000 car, figured taking a 20% loss on R 100 0000 is better than 20% on R 300 000.

its a guzzler of note, but should be more reliable than the tractor motors.

and with the SP and Warrentee, should be good for the next year at least.

Fetching it tomorrow, will post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyZai View Post
    its a guzzler of note, but should be more reliable than the tractor motors.

and with the SP and Warrentee, should be good for the next year at least.
    Enjoy, second hand I normally prefer going for petrol as well. My tractor is over the 148K mark now and on the Australian forum many owners are approaching 200K and some way over. So pretty reliable so far, if you can get one that has been looked after.

Michael
    The Tank:

Skid plates for front diff, gearbox and transfer case; 75mm taper body lift; Trimmed wheel arches; 265/75/R16 Bridgestone Deuler tyres; TJM snorkel; TJM XGS shocks; TJM coils; Poly airs; Tanker front steel bumper; Tanker duco rods; Tanker lateral rod; ARB front and rear diff-lock; LA Sport rear steel bumper with spare wheel carrier; LA Sport skid bars; Bushwakka drawer system; Eezi-awn rooftop tent; Front Runner roof rack; Dual battery in engine bay; National Luma freezer; Garmin GPS V

Nine out of ten rebuilds on the 3,5 Terracans with low mileage is because of the butterflies that come loose. The butterflies are situated in the intake manufold and if you make sure it is properly secured there is no problem.
    BlinkGat Products
    Manufacturing of Aluminium
    custom made Products
    Sarel 082 820 9413
    www.blinkgatproducts.com

Default New Terracan owner

Hi Zai,
    Sarel is probably right. I had the butterfly screws seen to when I bought it. I have a 3.5 V6 as well. Consumption is not bad on the open road. Its quite high 17.5 to 18.5 L/100ks for town driving and dirt road driving. Lots of space and lovely vehicle in the bush and open road. Also check main pulley nut on fly wheel. I know of 2 incidents where that came loose with bad results. I find the dim lights a bit under powered therefor need to upgrade bulbs to slightly higher spec. At R105k for 2005 is not bad at all. just get your guarantees all signed properly and the computer data against vin number will give you the exact reason for repair.
    Phone Michael Branders at Hyundai Boksburg 011 8261406 or 082 7820046 and ask him to have one of his chaps check the vin record for you.

Regards
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

shot guys,

Default check the actuator

Hey Zai

Have the actuator checked out. This is what activates your 4x4. I don't think mine ever worked, I never realised this until I really needed 4x4. There is a rubber vacuum thingy that perishes.

When you engage 4x4 everything seems right, gearbox does everything right but front wheels don't actually engage. I know this happened to me and a friend who also got a 2nd hand Terracan.

Get the car on a lift and while idling engage the 4x4 to make sure.

Enjoy the ride, a little more expensive but lekker!

Hi

Important point from Festi1, regarding the actuator. Probably the weakest point of the terracan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Actuator.IMG_1043.jpg 
Views:	1136 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	210121 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disengaged.IMG_0499_2_4_1.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	210122 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engaged.IMG_0498_1_4_1.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	210123

Michael
    The Tank:

Skid plates for front diff, gearbox and transfer case; 75mm taper body lift; Trimmed wheel arches; 265/75/R16 Bridgestone Deuler tyres; TJM snorkel; TJM XGS shocks; TJM coils; Poly airs; Tanker front steel bumper; Tanker duco rods; Tanker lateral rod; ARB front and rear diff-lock; LA Sport rear steel bumper with spare wheel carrier; LA Sport skid bars; Bushwakka drawer system; Eezi-awn rooftop tent; Front Runner roof rack; Dual battery in engine bay; National Luma freezer; Garmin GPS V

here....
    will have all the above checked at the dealership this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have it well checked out and then enjoy it. We (me and SWAMBO) have been through the motions and emotions with ours but we love it to bits.

Thanks.

I filled up with 93....feels sluggish, should I only use only 95?
    Also., my rock sliders ( I think thats what its called) feel loose, I expected them to be firm...is this normal?
    cars a bit jerky ....its my first SUV , and my first auto dunno if this is normal? Highway speeds, under acceleration, feels like hesitant, im thinking fuel filter ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyZai View Post
    here....
    will have all the above checked at the dealership this week.
    I always wanted the green one. When I bought mine new, the dealership said that they don't make it in that colour any longer. The month after I picked mine up, they had one on the floor. I was very upset with them.

Greens cool, my kids call it HULK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast