Coleman Thermoelectric Cooler

Smile Coleman Thermoelectric Cooler

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Coleman cooler for quite some time now, but have been put off by some comments and not having been able to justify spending ZAR800+ on a "glorified" cooler box.

I however, recently, came across one in a decent state at a local Cash Converters, for around ZAR500 and must say that I am more than happy.

I managed to make a homebrew (converted pc powersupply) so that I can pre-chill it, as per the owner's manual, and when putting pre-chilled foods (and drinks!) in it, it works fine. I also like the idea that it can take 2litre bottles standing upright!

I understand clearly that it won't hold it's own against an Engel or -40, but I'm happy that I saved about ZAR4k in the process!

2001 Toyota Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c >
    with some extra bits...

Just make certain that you don't run it with the engine stopped or you will end up with a flat battery. For short trip add a few ice bricks which help when it is not running.

Just watch the fan. I had one and the fan kept on cutting out ( note: not because of a thermostat as it does not have a thermostat). Eventually gave it back to Hypermarket who refunded me (I think the price was R1K) and then bought a Waeco (same capacity) for R1.1K which has been running now for almost 2 years with no problem. Goes to about 25 degress below ambient.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    ...I understand clearly that it won't hold it's own against an Engel or -40, but I'm happy that I saved about ZAR4k in the process!
    You didn't save R4K, you just delayed the inevitable
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Thanks 4 all the comments.

I don't plan to, in the near foreseable future, venture on any deep into Africa excusions, so I don't quite need the serious Danfos powered fridges that cost 2 car payments, just yet

2001 Toyota Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c >
    with some extra bits...

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    I don't plan to, in the near foreseable future, venture on any deep into Africa excusions, so I don't quite need the serious Danfos powered fridges that cost 2 car payments, just yet
    I used one of these for about four years without any problems, Toured Namibia and Kalahri with it and used it to keep drinks cool when we got a lots of guest at home. Went camping with someone with a Weaco 220V fridge once and it was awsome to have ice. Bought a 40L Engel the next week. Its like having to go back to 4x2 once you tried 4x4.

That said, the Coleman is quite capable of keeping stup cool. A few things to remember, always pre-cool for a day before use. It takes ages to cool, so always put your goods in cold already. Vacuum your meat and use it as icepacks. The rectangular bottles of Ceres fruit juice concentrate makes excellent icepacks and as they thaw you always have cold water, especially in areas with bad water. Open the cooling unit and fan after visiting dusty areas and brush clean and spray some Q20, it will extend the life.

Four years down the line my coleman is still going strong, although it has been reduced to a salad and vegetable fridge, while the Engel gets all the alcohol and meat action.