Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Camera recommendation

Hi all you camera fundis...

Heres your chance to prove your superior knowledge!!

I'm looking to buy a new digital camera and need advice. My budget is about R8 000 and I'm hoping to get an SLR. I realise however that this is at the lower end of the SLR range. Is it better to get an SLR or to buy a top of the range non-SLR camera.

The reason I like SLR is for the flexibility and I hope to get a good zoom lens soon as well. Thr 10-15x zoom on other cameras is not idea for nature photography...especially birds etc.

Does anyone have an models they can recommend? Should I look cheaper or use up my entire budget? Are the cheaper SLRs worth it? What brands are good or bad?

I've always used a Sony Cybershot.

Thanks,
    Warren
    Warren Prior

2017 Subaru Forester (A)
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D (former)
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD Ltd. (A) (former)
    1999 Mitsubishi Pajero iO 1.8 (former)

For that budget you should be able to get something like the Canon 400D, or the same in Nikon (D40/50?)

4ePajero Guest

What Dirk said.

If I had to do it again, I would have:
    • held on to the "mik-n-druk" digital for the "ordinary" photos
    • bought a Canon 350D / Nikon D50 / Pentax 110/10D, body only
    • bought a decent 70-300 zoom lens.
    Budget would have been just over R10000, though.

Hind-sight is one of the few exact sciences!

==
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 2012/03/01 at 03:51 AM.

You can still get the 350D from Makro for R5999, including the 18-55 kit lens. That leaves 3k for the zoom, and for that price you can get a 70-300mm, maybe not top quality, but not lowest either.

Hi

Im new to the forum. I bought a Nikon D50 2 years ago with a 18-55 and a 70-300 lens. I have enjoyed every minute of this purchase and have just bought a Nikon D300 from the USA, cost R13000 body only. You cannot go wrong with a SLR and the Nikon and Canon i believe are the 2 you should look at. The photos are amazing and the 70-300 lens is awesome.

Good luck on your purchase

Warren

Incredible Connection has a special on the Canon 400D plus lense plus printer plus paper plus software plus plus plus... for R8999

Makro also has nice specials on the Canon 400d and the Nikon 40D.

Game has specials on the Canon 400D every 2nd week plus you get a free Canon digital "mik en druk"

Happy hunting

Hi Wazzy

I have a Pentax K100D and am very happy with it. Pentax, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic now put their image stabilisation into the camera body, which means that you get IS without having to fork out extra on IS lenses.

For me, one of the nice things about the Pentax is its backward compatibility with older lenses. This means that I can share lenses between my film and digital camera bodies.

You will be able to get one with a kit and a longer zoom for under R8k.
    http://www.sacamera.co.za/productdetail/PEN01123

If I were buying now, I would probably fork out a bit extra and try to get a K10D.
    '97 Disco Tdi

How I would spend your money:

Eos 400D Canon $544

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rebel_XTi.html

2 Gig CF Card $40

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...pactFlash.html

Canon 70 - 300 with Image Stabilizer $460

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_EF_IS.html

That's $1 044... Excluding shipping and tax.

I would however try to increase the budget and go for 2 lenses instead of this one...

1: Tamron 200 -500 $ 880

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_3_Di_LD.html

and 2: Canon 28 - 200 $340

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ephoto_EF.html

If you are willing to be a little patient, I have a friend coming to South Africa from the U.S. at the end of January. He won't mind bringing stuff with him.

I'll second what freeflyd says.

I bought my Pentax DSLR from BH Photo.com a few years ago. When the new Pentax DSLR was launched here it was R12k. I got it for $1000 when the exchange rate was still R6/$.

I have also bought a flash, rifle scopes, binoculars etc from them. The money you save buying from them can be spent on accessories like flash, memory, lenses etc.

DLSR are far superior to the mik-and-druk. They are quicker, more functions more flexible etc. Also remember not to get caught up in the whole megapixel "mine is bigger than yours". You don't need more than 6mp unless you are printing in large format. I've printed an A0 size portrait of my daughter and it looks 'proffesional'.

Have a look at the Olympus E500 (there is no other SLR that can compete with its value for money quality) It even has a "Dust Reduction System" which none of the other brands offer. Was my christmas present to the wife last year (not that she gets change to use it that offen - as she needs to fight it away from me). It also takes 2x memory cards (and you can swap them without taking them out) (Dual Card Slots: Users also benefit from two memory card slots--one for CompactFlash or Microdrive and one for xD-Picture Cards. Simply depress a button on the back of the camera to choose which card type to capture and copy images back and forth from one card to the other in playback.)

http://www.pricecheck.co.za/products...us+Evolt+E500/
    Last edited by Bundu; 2007/12/11 at 09:48 AM.

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

4ePajero Guest

It even has a "Dust Reduction System" which none of the other brands offer.
    Not quite!

I don't know about the others, but Canon has their own dust management system:

http://www.canon.com/technology/cano...n/eos_ics.html

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Not quite!

I don't know about the others, but Canon has their own dust management system:

http://www.canon.com/technology/cano...n/eos_ics.html
    O - ok

The time I bought the camera it's reviews said it was the only one with the feature. There is also a R1000-3000 price gap between the Olympus E500 & the Canon 400D. I see the Sony also has it (seems they're all getting into dust reduction).

BTW I saw Macro has a speacial on a Sony with 2x lenses & a flash for R10k (don't know till when)

Hein

Sony bundle (Don't know how good the camera is)

http://www.makro.co.za/ProductDetail.aspx?cat=6326&prod=36292&SKU=0000000 00000122085|EA

* Bundle consists of: Sony Alpha digital SLR, Camera with 18-70mm lens
    * additional Sony 75-300mm lens, Sony HVL-F36 flash, The sony guide to
    * digital SLR photography
    * Camera Specifications:
    * 10 Megapixels
    * 2,5"LCD

They also have bundle specials on the Nikon & Canon 400

Hein

Thanks so much for all the help guys...

Looks like the Canon 400d is the most common choice, but with the alternatives I'm going to keep researching for a while. Never easy choices, are they.

So keep the help coming!!

Thanks again
    Warren Prior

2017 Subaru Forester (A)

Hi again,

I see Makro currently has on special both the Canon and the Sony.

It seems like Canon have a lot of experience in the SLR field while this is Sony's (along with Konica Minolta) first attempt. Can anyone tell me anything about the Sony? Is it worth considering their first attempt?

I also see they take different lenses. This seems like something worth considering? Which of the 2 cameras takes the better lenses? Which are more common. From my reading it seems like the Canon is better in this respect?

Thanks again
    Warren
    Warren Prior

2017 Subaru Forester (A)

4ePajero Guest

A very good friend of mine (remember the Calender girls?) uses the Sony SLR and he swears by it.

Sony's products have always been top quality, so I don't think you are risking anything, if you choose Sony.

Fact is that there are more lenses (and other accessories) available for Canon, Nikon and Pentax than for the others, not only from the manufacturers, but also from independent manufacturers such as Tamron and Sigma.

I would have loved the Canon 400D, but you can save a lot by going for the 350D. How many pixels do you really need?

Recently, while I was also doing research (before settling on a Canon 350d) found that the Canon and Nikon were very similar. The only difference I could find was in a comparison somewhere on the Net, that said that the Canon's colour interpretaion is more suited to portraits(skin-tone colours) shooting and the Nikon's more towards landscapes shooting.

The fact the one can manipulate the colours with filters, and after the fact on the pc as well, makes this difference seem even smaller!

IMHO I think it is like the Mercedes-Benz vs. BMW debate. It is a matter a choice. Most DSLRs will today give you what you want, just the price tag is the bottom line in most cases!

2001 Toyota Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c >
    with some extra bits...

Seems like the more you ;earn, the more you need to learn...

So here's my next question...

Coming from a happy snappy digital camera which had only digital zoom (puke!!)...how is zoom dealt with on the digital SLRs? This will be a function of the lens obviously, so I suppose the real question is how to judge.

Reading up on focal lengths of lenses (which give you the zoom??) it seems like a standard lens has a focal length of 50-55mm? The kit lens with the Canon 400d is an 18-55mm lens. So am I correct in saying this is a wide angle-standard lens? Or are things different in the digital domain versus the 35mm film days?

So what sort of zoom will you get out of this lens? Is any of this dealt with on the camera? Or is it all dealt with by the lens? ie can you zoom on the camera (body itself) or only via the lens?

I understand this is not a zoom lens...but what sort of zoom will you get out of it? If any?

*phew* begining to feel like an idiot...

Suppose we've all got to start somewhere...
    Warren Prior

2017 Subaru Forester (A)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast