Cherokee Jeep Cherokee 3.7 KK series

Default Jeep Cherokee 3.7 KK series

So I've done it again. I missed my old 4 litre XJ so much as it was a great daily runabout with lots of oemph to zip around Gauteng's congested roads. It even took me where the aren't any roads. I had so much fun, that I couldn't be bothered about the fuel consumption.

I just couldn't resist a 2 year old Cherokee that has depreciated more than R120K since new, with only 15'000km on the clock. It appears nobody wants one, especially the 3,7 petrol version, yet it is probably the best value for money on a modern 4X4. (IMHO). Too late to advise me not to buy it. So far I'm as happy as a pig in Palestine.

Are there any other KK owners out there? If so please tell me all your likes and dislikes? What problems did you experience? What issues should I be aware of? How do you experience it off-road and as a daily runabout.
    Benhollie
    2011 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3.7
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    2004 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 SE
    NO Platkar -
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - Sold
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 XJ - Sold
    1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 XJ 5Sp LHD - Sold

The KK is very underrated IMO.

Its basically the same chassis as the KJ (frog eyed) but with the expected small improvements.

They really only need a 2" lift to get the front skid plate a little more clearance and they become excellent all rounders. Once you have the lift and your current tyres are done change to 245/70/16's (assuming you have 16" wheels)
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Thanks for the info.
    I noticed autobox has the same hunting for gears behaviour as the Prado and my previous Jeep. (Both have Aisin Warner boxes). The box kicks down to 3rd or even 2nd when there is still more than enough power to be in top gear. Especially when using cruise control. It is impossible to go even half throttle in top gear. Ableit that the motor is already running in that sweet spot between max torque and max power.
    Benhollie
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    NO Platkar -

Quote Originally Posted by Benhollie View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I noticed autobox has the same hunting for gears behaviour as the Prado and my previous Jeep. (Both have Aisin Warner boxes). The box kicks down to 3rd or even 2nd when there is still more than enough power to be in top gear. Especially when using cruise control. It is impossible to go even half throttle in top gear. Ableit that the motor is already running in that sweet spot between max torque and max power.
    Yeah one day we might even get a real tiptronic box in our Jeeps that one can manipulate 100%. I must say that the Merc box on the Pentastar is not too bad. Personally I would prefer a dual clutch box coupled to a torgue converter that locks up immediately after pull away, to make for a nice off-roading setup. Or else a manual box in the JK Unlimited :-)

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    Yeah one day we might even get a real tiptronic box in our Jeeps that one can manipulate 100%. I must say that the Merc box on the Pentastar is not too bad. Personally I would prefer a dual clutch box coupled to a torgue converter that locks up immediately after pull away, to make for a nice off-roading setup. Or else a manual box in the JK Unlimited :-)
    Having had 4 Mercs in the past I can only agree. The Merc autobox makes the ride much more comfortable. It is far less sensitive on throttle position but it has a kickdown switch which will allow the box to give all it can. Especially the 5 sp boxes with W/S option were very well balanced.
    Benhollie
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    NO Platkar -

Is your tyre size standard? A larger diameter might be the cause for the box to kick down like that?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Is your tyre size standard? A larger diameter might be the cause for the box to kick down like that?

Thanks Neil. Yep, Stock standard wheels and tyres. The box's behaviour is not worse than that of my old XJ or the Prado. It's just hard to understand that some manufacturers never address some annoying features of an otherwise good product, or as in this case, Chrysler's 42RLE box copied the same hunting features of the old AW4 that came with XJ and several Toyota models.
    Benhollie
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    NO Platkar -

My 545RFE box in the CRD does something similar, will change down on a steep hill, then almost immediately change back up. Silly

Pity they didn't add a 3 and 4 option onto the manual gear selector, you can get around it a bit by playing the with O/D button.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

That AW box is old technology now. Mine hunts like crazy but its tyre size/incorrect gearing related.

The AW 4 speed is the same as a Fortuna & KK, which are considered modern cars. The KK's replacement gets a 7 speed!

I had the Petrol KK 2009 model and traded it in on a JK Rubi.

My only gripes was the TC and that it needed a 2" lift.

Great family vehicle and its a Jeep, what a bonus.
    Deon

If you can't fix it with a hammer,you have an electrical problem...

Quote Originally Posted by dcsmax View Post
    I had the Petrol KK 2009 model and traded it in on a JK Rubi.

My only gripes was the TC and that it needed a 2" lift.

Great family vehicle and its a Jeep, what a bonus.
    I presume TC means transfer case?
    What gripes did you have with it?
    Benhollie
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    NO Platkar -

@Benhollie
    No. Traction control. the biggest lot of crap on a 4x4.

Frustrated the crap out of me at Atlantis Dunes.

Deon
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner
    Deon

If you can't fix it with a hammer,you have an electrical problem...

Quote Originally Posted by dcsmax View Post
    @Benhollie
    No. Traction control. the biggest lot of crap on a 4x4.

Frustrated the crap out of me at Atlantis Dunes.

Deon
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner
    Just press the SC button to switch the TC off. I did it many times now on the sand at Sodwana :-)

It however doesnt compensate for lazyness in deflating, I got it stuck well and truly towing a big jet ski at 1.6 bar...

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

@dcsmax
    Yep, traction control can be a pain in the butt (especially in thick sand) and on many vehicles one needs to pull the fuse to disable it. (Haven't tried that with the Jeep yet).

In my own experience with the Prado, I found the TC much more effective on cross axles when the centre difflock is turned OFF. Selecting low range without locking the centre diff is one of the Prado's greatest features and that is probably one of the first things I will miss on the Jeep.

The Rubicon with it's front and rear lockers is obviously in a different class. Certainly a good choice if you do a lot of sand and mud.
    Benhollie
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    NO Platkar -

Morning Gents,

I am officially part of the dark side now. Picked up my 2010 kk yesterday.

So far seems like a very nice car. Foot wells are a bit small for my.....um....feet but other than that it is great.

One question though; The tow/haul light. Should this come on without the switch being pressed? Mine seems to come while driving. Sometimes up a hill, other times when im just pulling away. I keep putting it off, but I dont know if this is standard procedure.

Its being serviced tomorrow so I will ask them to check it out it this is an issue.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nism0 View Post
    Morning Gents,

I am officially part of the dark side now. Picked up my 2010 kk yesterday.

So far seems like a very nice car. Foot wells are a bit small for my.....um....feet but other than that it is great.

One question though; The tow/haul light. Should this come on without the switch being pressed? Mine seems to come while driving. Sometimes up a hill, other times when im just pulling away. I keep putting it off, but I dont know if this is standard procedure.

Its being serviced tomorrow so I will ask them to check it out it this is an issue.

Congrats with the Jeep. In 2011, I drove one from Florida to Los Angeles USA, which convinced me to buy one.

The Tow/Haul light indicates that the (4th gear/overdrive) is turned off. It is not normal for it to turn on by itself. In fact, you have to turn it on every time you restart the vehicle, if you wish to us the tow/haul feature.

I'd suggest you have it checked out by the dealer.
    Benhollie
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    NO Platkar -

Thanks Benhollie,

Worrying that the service advisor didnt know Jeeps have tow buttons. Or that the 4th gear is an overdrive. Hopefully the techie has a better understanding of the product.

Going on a 1600km trip next week and having to put the tow switch off all the time is not a fun thought. Cant be very good for the gbox either.

Default Re: Jeep Cherokee 3.7 KK series

Hi All
    It has been a very long time since someone posted here.

I'm looking to buy a 2013 3.7 limited. Are there any issues I should be aware of that you guys picked up along the way?
    2015 Renault Duster 4WD
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Country XJ face lift
    Action Group member AG0029