Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    The only CAD system worth paying for: SolidWorks
    Dassault also have a free CAD program Draftsight.
    Quite usefull and it is for free. I got this on reccomendation when I did a structural detailing course.

Like most 2D/3D cad programs.
    They either work for you or they don't.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product...-downloads.htm

Disco 2 V8 XS

I really love drawing, some of my current work..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip temp1.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	206147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip temp2.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	206148  
    Steve
    4x4 AG 002
    ex Disco 4

Quote Originally Posted by sakush420 View Post
    That's really going to look bad on your pajero

Thumbs up Re: The marvel of modern CAD

So can anyone assist me with drawings/or bumpers for my discovery 2

Default Re: The marvel of modern CAD

Quote Originally Posted by mike cullen View Post
    Sorry - I'm no help on that -Hope you come right!

But -the thread title........ and just saw this in regards to marvels of modern CAD-and 3d printing
    Sophisticated looking operation and products!

https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/18/...st-in-tenerife

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    My son gave me Autocad 12, but I am doff with the stuff, do nothing else but frustrate myself every time I open the damn thing up.

Nice work Uys, you make me seriously jealous.
    Find a free course on Youtube. Start and stick with it till you are proficient.

I use AutoDesk Fusion 360. I was battling then bit the bullet and worked my way thru about 30 sessions.

There is a whole new world out there once you can model in 3D, the worlds your oyster.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by sakush View Post
    A baghouse

And a flocculant make up ?

May I suggest that you make your drawings more friendly for the bending brake operators - flip the part over so that most bends are up.That is the way that their minds work.
    Last edited by Jonatan; 2021/04/20 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cullen View Post
    Mike, I have some drawings I was given, but they are not comprehensible to the guys I went to for a cutting quote.
    Some of the stuff is in Autodesk which they can't work with but a bit is readable for them. They will be able to cut but not bend.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Find a free course on Youtube. Start and stick with it till you are proficient.

I use AutoDesk Fusion 360. I was battling then bit the bullet and worked my way thru about 30 sessions.

There is a whole new world out there once you can model in 3D, the worlds your oyster.
    Lol, that post of mine was in 2013.
    Since then I looked a few times at a few packages. Found FreeCad, and only after a few hours starting picking up a few videos where guys were saying its too comprehensive for beginners.
    Then about a year ago with Covid, I was forced to look at something again, and found the old 2017 free version of Sketchup and got stuck in. I'm still learning every day, but have managed to put a few drawings together for our building sites where we do Timber Frame houses. I had to do something to "protect" us against some of the "bright ideas" some structural engineers were bringing to the table. I'm involved with a house now where I came in very late, and the present builder has never done timber frame before. The engineer has added weeks of additional work, and more than tripled the cost with way out ideas that actually dont work.

Anyhow, I'm learning, and in the back of my mind know that it's time to move on to something more current like Fusion, or bite the bullet and pay up.

I do have a problem that it needs to run on my 2008 vintage P4 with 4Gb of Ram and a 1Gb video card.
    Last edited by bfreesani; 2021/04/20 at 06:56 AM.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Isnt fusion very expensive and not a once off payment.Its fine for a business but to dabble for the odd drawing prohibitive. What other programms are there if my statement is correct?

Our engineers use Autodesk Inventor and frown on solidworks. I dont know enough to comment myself on the software difference but it is amazing to see process going from concept to 3D design & stress evaluation to CNC manufacturing to finished product with very little R&D or test manufacturing in between
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Isnt fusion very expensive and not a once off payment.Its fine for a business but to dabble for the odd drawing prohibitive. What other programms are there if my statement is correct?
    Fusion is free for the basic DIY'er. Some limitations but nothing you can't do without.
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

Before selecting any drawing package you need to answer one question: Can you draw? I do not mean to draw/paint Mona Lisa but technically. Let say you draw item to be made using lathe. Before you start you actually have to know how lathe works. The part has to be right way on the drawing. After that when adding dimensions you have to give them so that the design intent will be achieved without calculator in the hands of the lathe operator. Tolerancing, surface finish symbols... Same applies what ever you draw.

I have tried several times to find a good book or books in English that teach how to draw. Up to now I have not found one. Some drawing standards are not bad but they are not really learning material.

Selecting a packet to use is problematic. Some are good for industry A, some for B. Very few are cheap many are horribly expensive if properly licensed program is bought. In today's world 2D is for simple items. 3D reduces design errors but pretty 3D image is no good for making the parts. You need 2D drawings out of the 3D model. Bigger packages include FEA to analyze stresses but you really have to know what you do if you go for that.

If you can draw by hand on average it is 6 months to get to the same productivity level using CAD package. Spending time learning some tricks, building parametric libraries you will do designs much faster and far less mistakes. On some special products I can get drawings out in hours instead of days. I could draw but to learn use of software I had to go in steps. First 2D, simple 3D and at the end complex 3D. That included around 10 000 pages in literature - Thanks to Amazon I did get the books. Today I would start directly at 3D. Packages are much better.

I have big problem with computer operators. They make pretty pictures but useless output. They cannot draw and they do not understand what the numbers mean. Last week I was asked how to design expansion joint when movements are 0.45, 0.56 and 1.35 mm and angulation 6.3987 degr. Who ever gave such values has no idea.

If you require high quality drawings and you have limited number of parts in your assemblies go for Autodesk Inventor but first rob a bank. (Mechanical items - not buildings)
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Before selecting any drawing package you need to answer one question: Can you draw? I do not mean to draw/paint Mona Lisa but technically. Let say you draw item to be made using lathe. Before you start you actually have to know how lathe works. The part has to be right way on the drawing. After that when adding dimensions you have to give them so that the design intent will be achieved without calculator in the hands of the lathe operator. Tolerancing, surface finish symbols... Same applies what ever you draw.

I have tried several times to find a good book or books in English that teach how to draw. Up to now I have not found one. Some drawing standards are not bad but they are not really learning material.

Selecting a packet to use is problematic. Some are good for industry A, some for B. Very few are cheap many are horribly expensive if properly licensed program is bought. In today's world 2D is for simple items. 3D reduces design errors but pretty 3D image is no good for making the parts. You need 2D drawings out of the 3D model. Bigger packages include FEA to analyze stresses but you really have to know what you do if you go for that.

If you can draw by hand on average it is 6 months to get to the same productivity level using CAD package. Spending time learning some tricks, building parametric libraries you will do designs much faster and far less mistakes. On some special products I can get drawings out in hours instead of days. I could draw but to learn use of software I had to go in steps. First 2D, simple 3D and at the end complex 3D. That included around 10 000 pages in literature - Thanks to Amazon I did get the books. Today I would start directly at 3D. Packages are much better.

I have big problem with computer operators. They make pretty pictures but useless output. They cannot draw and they do not understand what the numbers mean. Last week I was asked how to design expansion joint when movements are 0.45, 0.56 and 1.35 mm and angulation 6.3987 degr. Who ever gave such values has no idea.

If you require high quality drawings and you have limited number of parts in your assemblies go for Autodesk Inventor but first rob a bank. (Mechanical items - not buildings)
    Very well said. The workshop wants 2D drawings with dimensions and tolerances within their capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    Our engineers use Autodesk Inventor and frown on solidworks. I dont know enough to comment myself on the software difference but it is amazing to see process going from concept to 3D design & stress evaluation to CNC manufacturing to finished product with very little R&D or test manufacturing in between
    Itís like arguing if Android or iOS is better. The only thing that counts is the hand on the mouse

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    I also use Inventor Pro, as the total path from solid modeling, Nastran FEM, CAM to CNC machine works really great and the yearly subscription is kinder to the budget than paying for all of that in a once off payment for Solidworks and its modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post

It was a long time back, but I did drawing as part of Metalwork at school and then after at Technical College, so at a fundamental level, I can draw.

I have been given a copy of TurboCad15 and I have seen what it can do in the hands of a knowledgeable person, and it is all and more than I would probably WANT/NEED to do, but the problem I have is in my pip where I struggle to make the connection between random icons in the menu and the pencil/square in my hand/mind.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

I have roughly 17 years experience on Inventor and 5 years on Solidworks.

Solidworks is far more powerful for sheet-metal. Especially for developments including rolled rather than bent sections. It is also better at carrying over dimensions from an assembly to it's individual components.

Inventor is easier to learn, and better at seeing how a mechanism operates. The biggest difference though is that Solidworks makes it far easier to make versions of an assembly which are similar but different.

But the differences are relatively small and either will allow you to do good work.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

I use Solid Edge - very good and versatile, but expensive to buy. I agree with Jouko that if you haven't drawn before you will struggle to learn. You also need a basic knowledeg of machining, tolerances etc to produce good 2D drawings for the machine shop.

Solid Edge do offer a very good free 2D package - Google www.solidedge.com. It downloads with their free viewer.
    Jeep Cherokee 2006 KJ CRD
    2" OME Lift

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast