Towball/Pin as Recovery Point

Default Towball/Pin as Recovery Point

The thread on the recovery that went wrong got me looking at installing recovery points at the back of the Pajero. (I have at the front).

My problem is the highlift points are welded to the chassis such that they cannot bolt on recovery points. Now I went to Safari Centre and LA Sport, and they are both very uncomfortable with welding on recovery points, and have suggested I have two options.

One is remove the highlift points and reinstall the highlift points, bolting them on together with the recovery points. This is a significantly more expensive option, requiring two new highlift points as well as the recovery points.
    The other is to install a towhitch with ball and pin. The one they are offering is substantially more heavy duty that the towball and pin that I used to have (but was incompatible with my bike rack) and is now installed on Spike's trok. Both SC and LA Sport are comfortable that the towhitch will do the job.

I've attached a picture of the towhitch as it is now. There are 4 bolts attaching the hitch mounting plate to the chassis, and then the two big bolts for the hitch itself. The extension piece is to extend the bike rack to a position that the spare wheel doesn't get in the way. It's made up from square tube with round tube welded in where the bolts go through.

The question is whether what both LA Sport and CS are correct in their assertions that their (rather substantial) towball/pin hitches will actually do the job and a reasonable alternative to proper recovery points.

Any comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I wouldn't bolt the pin type hitch straight on as it is right now. I would like the 2 bolts of the hitch to sit in-line with the centre of the 4 rear bolts. The welding on the extension also needs to be very good.

Also make sure there is a big thick piece of steel behind the 4 mounting bolts, or that the chassis is strong enough. It could end up bending out the middle of the rear member of the chassis if it doesn't have sufficient support. I had a similar set-up on my 80GX cruiser and on that a centre recovery point would have damaged the chassis.
    Sorry, I don't know the paj chassis so I cannot comment if it is strong enough.

4ePajero Guest

Here is what the Pajero setup looks like.

Mine has obviously been modified:
    • Point "A" is where Simon's have the 4 bolts through, which mine don't have
    • Mine has had a drop-plate welded onto the chassis member ("B")
    • the drop-plate on mine has been bent (somebody reversed into something?
    Inspection shows that the 4 bolts that hold the "drop-down plate" as per Simon's, thread into the weld-nuts at the back of the chassis member.

One of my future projects is to cut off all the above and have something substantial welded & bolted to the chassis member.

I would not use what I currently have for snatch-recovery?

==
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 2012/03/01 at 04:07 AM.

4ePajero Guest

Some ideas from my archives.

Some are shown on Landies, but I like the idea of the protection/slider/removable hitch.

One day I'll sit down and design something with the best of all these ideas.

(... and get ZantusDesign to manufacture it for me! )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	11587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch b.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	11588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch04.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	11589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hwimage.asp.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	11590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch03.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	11591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	11592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tow Bar 2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	11593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tow Bar 3.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	11594  

I use my tow pin/hitch for recovery on my Series, which is bolted straight on to the chassis. There is a 5mm gusset plate, about 230mm by 400mm welded on to the rear of the chassis, through which the bolts fit. It has never been a problem, but the whole setup is quite strong.

On my new vehicle I will just be using the standard tow-hith setup, but with a a drop-pin towball, which I hope will be strong enough.

The trick obviously is to attach directly to the chassis, as far as possible, strenghthen the chassis and bolt, not weld the attachment on.

I have done some serious recoveries with my Series, and being seriously recovered, and the whole setup seems to work just fine.

Hmmm....

Thanks for the replies - I'm thinking that a combo of the 1st and 4th photos might be a better solution...

But that's going to bugger up the (already not so hot) departure angle.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Simon

Is it not better, even if it is more expensive, just to install the two recovery points at the end of the day?

There is obviously a number of people who have and will use the pin ball setup succesfully, but is recovery not "safer", even if it's a feeling of safety, with a bridle and a two-point setup than recovery a one concentrated place?

Quote Originally Posted by td54x4 View Post
    Simon

Is it not better, even if it is more expensive, just to install the two recovery points at the end of the day?

There is obviously a number of people who have and will use the pin ball setup succesfully, but is recovery not "safer", even if it's a feeling of safety, with a bridle and a two-point setup than recovery a one concentrated place?
    True I guess.... I suppose when 4x4'ing on a budget, this is one area where budget can't (or shouldn't) feature....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    True I guess.... I suppose when 4x4'ing on a budget, this is one area where budget can't (or shouldn't) feature....
    My thoughts exactly, but easier said than done.