Discovery 4 New vs old?

Thread: New vs old?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question New vs old?

Hi guys, just got back from a Landry dealer from viewing a LRD 4. I left there a bit confused.

I know the 3.0 tdv6 is from jaguar but as far as I understand it is a redesign from the older 2.7 D3 motor. Yet the dealer stated that the old 2.7 uses cam belt and the new 3.0 uses cam chain. Is this really the case? If so it makes the D4 much cheaper to own and run than the D4. Can anyone here advise?

I am looking to move from my faithful Mitsu to a D3/4.

Ciao.

Default Wrong move

Quote Originally Posted by SeanFMitsu View Post
    Hi guys, just got back from a Landry dealer from viewing a LRD 4. I left there a bit confused.

I know the 3.0 tdv6 is from jaguar but as far as I understand it is a redesign from the older 2.7 D3 motor. Yet the dealer stated that the old 2.7 uses cam belt and the new 3.0 uses cam chain. Is this really the case? If so it makes the D4 much cheaper to own and run than the D4. Can anyone here advise?

I am looking to move from my faithful Mitsu to a D3/4.

Ciao.
    Now stop looking, wrong move, move back.
    Last edited by Mitsu Bushy; 2013/04/07 at 11:35 AM.
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Renier.deJongh View Post

Now stop looking, wrong move, move back.
    LoL Renier,

What would have you so concerned. Don't get me wrong. I love my outie, but I was looking for a comfortable 7 seater with TD motor. I am very convinced on the Discoveries. I have a fair idea of what can go wrong and the costs if you maintain it properly. Land Rovers and like most other big advanced SUVs will never be as easy to keep as say a pajero or prado. But I am looking at D3/D4 or Mercedes GL or even a Ford Territory ST :P. what do you think?

Both have belts as the primary cam drive, there is a small chain between the two camshafts

i am not saying this just cause i own a land rover but, i really don't think you can put the territory in the same league as a disco 3/4. territories are more fortuner class than larger more high tech discos and g-wagons. too me that like placing the offroad ability of a rubicon and a freelander2 and calling them similar in ability. the main thing i can tell with disco 3/4's is servise. make sure you find a very reputable mechanic to service it to reduce future issues. i believe alot of the issues these vehicles have is from going to dealers for service and shortcuts are taken.
    would taking your under warrenty landy to someone like landyworx be acceptable or just dealer only?
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by JediNAfrica View Post
    i am not saying this just cause i own a land rover but, i really don't think you can put the territory in the same league as a disco 3/4. territories are more fortuner class than larger more high tech discos and g-wagons. too me that like placing the offroad ability of a rubicon and a freelander2 and calling them similar in ability. the main thing i can tell with disco 3/4's is servise. make sure you find a very reputable mechanic to service it to reduce future issues. i believe alot of the issues these vehicles have is from going to dealers for service and shortcuts are taken.
    would taking your under warrenty landy to someone like landyworx be acceptable or just dealer only?
    To put this in perspective, a Territory is a Freelander 2. Not making a comparison, it really is a FL 2.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Default Discovery 4 New vs old?

The Ford Territory was basically a Station Wagon.
    The FreelanderI & II are better Off Road.

That TDV6 3.0 in the Disco is a great motor.
    Not sure if it was based on the 2.7 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    To put this in perspective, a Territory is a Freelander 2. Not making a comparison, it really is a FL 2.
    Not sure how you arrive at that

FL2 is built on the Ford EUCD platform (Transverse Drivetrain) - Front wheel drive by default

Territory is Longitudinaly mounted drivetrain - Rear wheel drive by default.

The Ford Kuga is based on the (smaller) C1 Platform which bears a lot more similarities to the EUCD platform

Hi Jedi, I never said the territory and D3 are in the same class, but, I meant 7 seaters Suv's. The Ford TST has great get up and go and the motor and drivetrain are bulletproof. I hear a lot about Discos being unreliable but I think it is because most drivers of such vehicles are not mechanically biased and don't care if they shut down the motor when turbo is hot etc.

Fluffy, quite sharp!

If things go pear shaped, I'd rather have my family in a D3 or D4
    Die reŽn is 'n dag nader as gister.