Wedge 4x4 trail

Thread: Wedge 4x4 trail

Default Wedge 4x4 trail

I have been thinking of heading out to Muldersdrift to try The Wedge's 4x4 trail, but up until this morning I just couldn't get to it.

This morning I decided to make an impromptu visit. So, after oiling up the seat pan to help keep the rust at bay and jacking the seat back up one or two notches , I headed out.

Just to clarify, the extent of my 4x4 experience is the Mitsubishi and Ford introduction courses.

When I got there, I spoke to Warrick, who advised me on where to do what and where NOT to turn off. Apparently, my Ranger is the first T6 on the trail that he is aware of!

After deflating the tires for the extra grip, I headed out.

Now, not being too familiar with 4x4 trails, I did all the obstacles bar the swamp. What an enjoyable day! The trail was nice and neat, clearly marked and the obstacles were technical enough to provide me, a complete novice, with enough of a challenge to make the day enjoyable.

My Ranger is stock standard, so I did scratch the side steps on the bottom a bit and i also have a nudge bar that takes away some of the approach angle, hence I also scratched the bottom coming out of some declines.

I would like to thank Warrick for the use of their facilities and his advice. I am definitely going to take some friends by at a later stage.

PS Before anyone says "pictures", I was out there alone and did not take extra time to take photos. Next time...
    Jurgen

Default Wedge 4x4 trail

Nice starter trail.
    Well done!

I've been eyeing this trail for a while now...is anyone else keen to head out that side for an outing in the next week or two?

He travels the fastest who travels alone.

Wouldn't mind as I need the practice. Unfortunately, my next 3 weekends are fully booked.
    Jurgen

Where exactly is this trail?, cant seem to find anything on the web?

Tx

Muldersdrift...nice and central...perfect location for a Saturday morning jaunt.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=128572

He travels the fastest who travels alone.

I'll join anytime, just around the corner from me. Have not been there before.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2016
    BMW R1200 GS Adventure --STOLEN--
    Jeep JK CRD 2.8D 2010 -- SOLD --

It is a nice short trail to start with if you are new in 4x4ing......but it can be a bit boring if you have done a few trails already.

The first time I did it I ended up also going across "the road" to Bosvark (All out Africa). After Bosvark I felt much better.....

I have literally just finished the trail now and sitting at the club house having a coolie.....I must admit that this was my 1st off roading and trail that I have done. I spent a good 2 hours out on the trail all on my own and had a blast. I know that you more experienced guys who do super advanced stuff might find it too easy..... But as a complete novice that I am, it is a great training playground and it was a great learning experience for me and my vehicle capabilities and I am proud to say that the "bug" has bitten hard...lol

Definitely recommend the place for everyone, families included.

It has a soul, its a Land Rover

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES auto facelift
    Ham: ZS6GS
    ORRA: Z152

Quote Originally Posted by GarySam View Post
    I have literally just finished the trail now and sitting at the club house having a coolie.....I must admit that this was my 1st off roading and trail that I have done. I spent a good 2 hours out on the trail all on my own and had a blast. I know that you more experienced guys who do super advanced stuff might find it too easy..... But as a complete novice that I am, it is a great training playground and it was a great learning experience for me and my vehicle capabilities and I am proud to say that the "bug" has bitten hard...lol

Definitely recommend the place for everyone, families included.
    Where are the pics?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

i was on my own ...so no pics..but i plan on going again this sunday with swambo....hopefully i will have pics then

It has a soul, its a Land Rover

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES auto facelift
    Ham: ZS6GS
    ORRA: Z152

Thinking about going to do this trail tomorrow after we close our shops. Will be taking the Swambo with and let her learn.......

I just need to check if they are open tomorrow and if so we will be there at about 13h30. Will take some pics and video footage and make something of it.
    Mark
    ZS6YES
    1996 Discovery 1 TDi
    Stock Standard for now
    Installed Amateur Radio HF and VHF

it was nice meeting you Zarkman

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    I take it you guys went out there yesterday. How was it? Any pics?
    Jurgen

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    Nice meeting you as well.
    Mark
    ZS6YES
    1996 Discovery 1 TDi
    Stock Standard for now

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenH View Post
    I take it you guys went out there yesterday. How was it? Any pics?
    Hey JurgenH,

My camera operator - Youngest niece did not do a really great job at photos so am not going to post any, next time we will

Some feedback and honest opinions:

1) Warrick is an excellent host
    2) Entrance is now R150.00 a little steep for such a short trail, but nice and easy going. I gave my Swambo and daughter an opportunity to do some driving, they have always been the passengers, so I thought this is the ideal opportunity to learn some basics.
    3) We only arrived there shortly after 14h00 paid the entrance fee and took on the trail. Methinks that it would be a great trail just after rain when the ground is a little more sloshy
    4) It took me 45 minutes to do the entire trail, then let the Swambo do it, took her 45 mins as well and then my daughter took on half of the trail , that took her 35 mins - Red Route (She is only 16 and I have been teaching her to drive for the past two months).
    5) Grading nothing more than a 3 IMHO (Dry conditions)
    6) Avoided the green swamp
    7) One section of the red tail did not do as the signage stipulated only Short Wheel Base
    8) Well marked trail

I think to sum it up, nice starter point for someone who is learning the ropes, cannot really do any damage to vehicles on either the red or green route if you take note of your surroundings and natural hazards (Trees and low branches, those have taken a few beatings from vehicles). I did manage to knock my diffs twice but that was because I was not paying attention. I would recommend that you do this without any runnerboards, if your vehicle has any, remove them. I deflated my tires just before I got to the trail.

It was a nice short outing just to get away from home.

Afterwards we stopped in at the pub area and had something to eat, value for money and nice tasting food.

Would I do it again? Yip for sure especially if you have limited time and want to go out for a short while.

Would love to take it on again after some good rain and the track is not dry, but then would make sure that I have an additional vehicle for recovery if need be. The host will recover you for a fee of R300.00

Will I recommend it to anyone - For Sure without hesitation.
    Mark
    ZS6YES
    1996 Discovery 1 TDi
    Stock Standard for now

have to agree with zarkman on everything.
    in SWB section i did manage to get stuck twice on same place,vitara sits on its belly all wheels in the air,(2nd or 3rd obstacle before swamp)vitara is i guess just 10cm to long and 5 cm to low,so disco would do just fine.
    busy uploading video on You tube.will post a link once is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkman View Post
    Hey JurgenH,

My camera operator - Youngest niece did not do a really great job at photos so am not going to post any, next time we will

Some feedback and honest opinions:

1) Warrick is an excellent host
    2) Entrance is now R150.00 a little steep for such a short trail, but nice and easy going. I gave my Swambo and daughter an opportunity to do some driving, they have always been the passengers, so I thought this is the ideal opportunity to learn some basics.
    3) We only arrived there shortly after 14h00 paid the entrance fee and took on the trail. Methinks that it would be a great trail just after rain when the ground is a little more sloshy
    4) It took me 45 minutes to do the entire trail, then let the Swambo do it, took her 45 mins as well and then my daughter took on half of the trail , that took her 35 mins - Red Route (She is only 16 and I have been teaching her to drive for the past two months).
    5) Grading nothing more than a 3 IMHO (Dry conditions)
    6) Avoided the green swamp
    7) One section of the red tail did not do as the signage stipulated only Short Wheel Base
    8) Well marked trail

I think to sum it up, nice starter point for someone who is learning the ropes, cannot really do any damage to vehicles on either the red or green route if you take note of your surroundings and natural hazards (Trees and low branches, those have taken a few beatings from vehicles). I did manage to knock my diffs twice but that was because I was not paying attention. I would recommend that you do this without any runnerboards, if your vehicle has any, remove them. I deflated my tires just before I got to the trail.

It was a nice short outing just to get away from home.

Afterwards we stopped in at the pub area and had something to eat, value for money and nice tasting food.

Would I do it again? Yip for sure especially if you have limited time and want to go out for a short while.

Would love to take it on again after some good rain and the track is not dry, but then would make sure that I have an additional vehicle for recovery if need be. The host will recover you for a fee of R300.00

Will I recommend it to anyone - For Sure without hesitation.

I guess we were there just before you guys... We left at 13:00 (I think).

Only one vehicle though, so I did not try to be a hero!

But I agree, it's a lot of fun, if that's all you are looking for. Perfect day in my eyes. Plus, there are not a lot of vehicles, although I'm not sure about weekends. So you can try all the obstacles a few times. I'll go there again, and just take someone with for in case I get stuck.

We did lose the front numberplate on the short wheel base section, will try and fit it a bit higher on the bumper. At least I noticed it so I could pick it up.