Parents-in law - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Parents-in law

Default Parents-in-Law

I say if money doesn't appear to be a problem, ask them to buy you a helicopter

Default Damassel's In-Laws

Is it possible that they are afraid to drive in heavy traffic? We moved from a small town to a city a couple of years back and I used all kinds of excuses not to drive into the city in the beginning. It is daunting for older people who are not used to heavy traffic, off ramps etc.

Farmers do not leave the farm. That's it. It's like they are scared the place are going to run away.
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Hi all,
    UPDATE:
    I had a talk with the old man about them visiting. I am disappointed with how it went. It got hot quickly, and a bit out of control. Seems that, as i have stated before, there are some sound reasons for them not being able to leave the farm. One of them being that it is lammer tyd en die ooie trek swaar. That i understood and have no problem with, but the next bit took me by surprise.
    Seems that (and please correct me if i am wrong) there is a sort of tradition in namibia. unbeknown to me (i am from Potchefstroom) te tradition is that every holiday (easter, new years, christmas ect) all the children and whole family go to the farm. And it is our duty to attend to same.

Needless to say, I offered some resistance to it which was not well received. I am disappointed in myself on how I handled the situation. Could have done more staying calm and collected. We will be on our own this easter.

Lesson learnt. Skin got thicker.

Thank you all for all the inputs. Have a great easter holiday and do not forget to pack some 4x4

Seems that (and please correct me if i am wrong) there is a sort of tradition in namibia. unbeknown to me (i am from Potchefstroom) te tradition is that every holiday (easter, new years, christmas ect) all the children and whole family go to the farm. And it is our duty to attend to same.
    Aah so you're getting closer to the root issue.
    Lack of respect from toppie downwards. Nothing makes me pee'd off quickler than toppies who wish to impose their wants on their kids and kids' spouses.

My 5cents worth. if you're ever going to have sanity in your life you need to draw a line in the sand and show him that you're an adult, you're the "current" generation, and that he should be happy that you're making an effort to include him
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by damassel View Post
    hi all. I need some advice and i am sure there are a lot of members with same problem. Sorry if this is not 4x4 related at all.

Me and my wife (been married for almost a year) are in a bit of a predicament. Her parents lives on a farm about 460km from us. the problem is that i can't get them to come and visit us. They always want us to go there and visit them. Both me and my wife are professional persons and cannot just pack up and go and visit. It may not be my place but i do not think money is an issue for them as they now offered to pay our fuel costs to get us to visit them.

Now i do not mind visiting them, the farm is a nice place to be and they are a pleasure to be around with, but since we got married, they never once came to visit us or to see where we live ect. Since we got married, we visited them 5 times. Is there something wrong with our house or where we live? I don't know and my wife is taking my side, although her parents keeps on putting pressure on her and her alone, sort of a guilt trip if you will. And it's getting to the point where it causes friction in our lives together.

So if anyone can give advice, preferably the older members who are parents, so that i can also get an idea of your side of things. How do you experience things like this.

Thank you again and a happy weekend to all.
    utopia!

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    utopia!
    I agree!!
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Can't agree. If you don't resolve it will cause issues between you and Swambo. If it got hot there is another issue.

My2cw. Talk to swambo and make sure she's with you, and then stand your ground. Let her tell the toppie that you guys will be waiting for their visit. Maybe if he hears it from her, it'll hit harder. I don't think I'll be happy to be forced to go to my In laws every long weekend en christmas etc.
    2002 WJ Jeep GC Overland 4.7 V8 - Vetpret
    JP Ehlers

Agree with Spike, on condition the wifey supports your point of view, because its her parents.
    But dont let the issue keep you from visiting when it suits you, even if its once a year, even if the inlaws dont return the favour.
    Life is short.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3