Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by global traveller View Post
    Thanks Hermine

So if we do Xaxanaka to North Gate and out to Savuti, will we be ok?

Regards

Ryan
    If you exit Moremi at North Gate you will encounter the water crossing just past the Kwhai Village on route to the Kwhai Trust and Savuti. I'm unsure how high the water levels is now. Someone who stays in the area may be able to give you a better idea on alternative routes

Quote Originally Posted by global traveller View Post
    WOW. Is this recent?
    Nope, sorry Global Traveller that was actually a dig at Partyranger, its actually him driving the Defender. The last photo is the crossing at Hippo Pools before North Gate, there is a way around if you feel it to be too deep.

The best advise is to ask the people at North Gate when you depart for Savuti for the best route, they normally have the most up to date information. Things can change in a week or 2

When are you going up there?
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Plenty water coming down, gonna be fun....

Better pack those waders....
    Ha ha thanx for the pics

It seems like its not this wet this time of year so we'll be able to explore some new tracks..

Maybe even make it through to Dead tree island this time
    Land Rover Defender 90
    Almost expedition ready...

Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Nope, sorry Global Traveller that was actually a dig at Partyranger, its actually him driving the Defender. The last photo is the crossing at Hippo Pools before North Gate, there is a way around if you feel it to be too deep.

The best advise is to ask the people at North Gate when you depart for Savuti for the best route, they normally have the most up to date information. Things can change in a week or 2

When are you going up there?
    21 April - 26 April 3rd Bridge & Xaxanaka
    27/28 April Savuti
    29/30 Chobe

We should be in 3rd Bridge just ahead of you, 4 Defenders and a lone red Toyota.....have fun and keep it safe!
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

From the Ngami Times 11 July 2014. And we will be there the middle of August

Winter havoc as area shivers
    Published July 11, 2014 | By Editor

Maun and most of Ngamiland shivered this week in winter temperatures that has affected thousands of families and businesses. Stores have reported a big demand for blankets and warm clothing while communication links – particularly the ADSL network – from the north have been affected.

There has been a huge drain on power supplies with outages experienced in some areas but the Botswana Power Corporation says that the Morupule B power station near Palapye has been able to cope with the demand now that generators that were being repaired are once again operating. South Africa – from where power was drawn on a regular basis over the last few years – has also experienced a very cold winter with electricity usage there increasing every day as a result of snow and cold winds sweeping across the country.

This has meant that Botswana and other countries in the region have not been able to rely on Eskom supplies. Maun’s temperatures have plunged to O deg C at various times while day temperatures have hovered in the 20s although wind chill has seriously affected those readings.

Similar conditions have been experienced in various villages throughout the district.

Meanwhile, the Okavango River has burst its banks as a result of floodwaters from the Angolan eastern highlands surging past Mohembo.

This water has augmented rainwater in the the already flowing Thamalakane River, and which has been steadily rising all week. Some areas in Disaneng and at Toteng have been seriously affected, with water steadily flowing into Lake Ngami.

There have been no reports of bridges being washed away but travel on some district roads is difficult. The roads to the South Gate of Moremi Game Reserve and to Mababe were this week described by motorists as a “nightmare”.

We will be there at the same time as you. Hope this all settles down before we get there.

I wonder if anyone who has just come back from the area has any stories to tell?

We will be travelling there about the same time. Arriving 19 August at Third Bridge then Xakanaxa, Khwai Community Camp onward to Chobe. Road conditions look rather daunting from where I'm sitting!

Hi Karin and Harts,

Only one watercrossing to worry about about 5km north of Kwai, on the way to Mababe Gate....short...but deepish.....6 vehicles went through with no hickups, 3 without snorkels....In my view the sand driving in Moremi / Savuti is more worrysome, especially when towing heavy gear, and midday . 3rd bridge was also flooded, but certainly still manageble
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd bridge.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	295219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northgate.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	295220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northgate2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	295222  
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2021 Ford Everest Bi-Turbo
    2020 Range Rover Sport HSE
    Land Cruiser ( Inkunzi camper )

Karin we will be there a week after you...first visiting Guma lagoon area. I believe the Okavango river has burst it's banks which in essence could mean high water levels for some time...this was as per a report in the Ngami times dated 11 July.....don't know what to make of this at the moment as we don't know the area that well.

Hi Frans and Paul. We did the Khwai crossing back in Sept 2010 and the water was a lot deeper. Dont know how to insert images. So if anyone can assist, I'll gladly post the proof!

thanks for the update Karin...looking forward to the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by FransBR View Post
    Hi Karin and Harts,

Only one watercrossing to worry about about 5km north of Kwai, on the way to Mababe Gate....short...but deepish.....6 vehicles went through with no hickups, 3 without snorkels....In my view the sand driving in Moremi / Savuti is more worrysome, especially when towing heavy gear, and midday . 3rd bridge was also flooded, but certainly still manageble

Hahahahaha

Did this crossing at Kwai last year in September and due to a total lack of experience after seeing a load of vehicle tracks going through I took the plunge way too fast . The adrenaline still flows when I think of it and I won't mention the state of my trousers at the time the bow wave however made our RTT dust free for a while .
    We stopped our traveling companions before they crossed and they did it in 2 low . They only got a bonnet wash , so take it slow the ground is firm

Eish Henk...we had similar fun in Mamili some years ago when water levels was resaonably low..awesome times!

Eish indeed Paul, an experience of note and one I will never forgetfortunately I didn't drown the vehicle and managed the rest of the trip ( with a lot more caution ) without incident . Lessons learnt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2