Road Conditions: South Luangwa

Default Road Conditions: South Luangwa

Hello Guys,

I am leaving for a trip to South Luangwa on 21/03/2013, but will first be going to Hwange, taking the ferry across Kariba and then spending a couple of days at Mana Pools. I will probably be arriving at South Luangwa around 29/03/2013.

I have heard that Zambia has experienced above average rainfall and that the Zambezi is very full. I read yesterday that the Zambezi River Authority is going to open Lake Kariba's sluice gates at the end of the month. So it appears that it is going to still be quite wet during the time I will be in Zambia.

Could someone please let me know what the condition of the roads is around South Luangwa, in particular the Petauke - Mfuwe road, as well as the road from Mfuwe to Zikomo in the Nsefu District. Even in the Park itself if possible. Would it be worthwhile to take the Petauke - Mfuwe road, or better to travel via Chipata?

I would be grateful for your feedback.

Hi,
    I've no idea of the conditions yet, but for what I've seen at the begining of November, they can vary a lot from one day to another.
    If there is no rain during 4/5 days the tracks in and around SLNP will be passable, but one night of downpour and all becomes impossible.
    I guess you will know what is doable only when overthere.
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Some areas have had abnormal rain and others like the Copperbelt well below average. Checked last night we are running 370mm below the worst year I have measured.

Having said this I think the roads to Zikomo might still be a problem and certainly some of the roads inside the park.

I am toying with the idea of going down to Mfuwe over the Easter weekend and if I go I will give you updated info. Just seen you will be there when we are there, so feedback will not help. I am however going to stick to the main road if I do go

Thanks for the responses Pierre & Mfuwe.

I have just received an e-mail from Victoria at Zikomo and she says that they have experienced unusually bad flooding and that Zikomo is underwater, only accessible by boat. She says further that she would not dream of sending anybody out on their road.

So it appears as if tracks and roads in that area are going to be challenging. Pierre, it is true, one rain and tracks can be quite impassable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysterhout View Post
    Would it be worthwhile to take the Petauke - Mfuwe road, or better to travel via Chipata?
    Definitely avoid this road. There are several river / stream crossings and steep ascents out of them which would be very challenging if there was water in the river (my avatar was taken coming out of one of these)

And there will definitely be water in the streams, it lingers for quite a while after heavy rains

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Thanks Andyrag, it was helpful to receive your feedback and I am going to travel via Chipata.