Discovery Recovery

Default Discovery Recovery

Hi All,

I wonder why the title rhymes. Must be coincidence.

I got stuck this weekend as I was going up a dune and slid off the path and got stuck with a 1/4 tank of petrol, but at that angle the pump couldn't reach it and I had to be recovered. The picture was taken before we really got into trouble as I was moving allong the slope at quite a steep angle. Well in the end I got out with the help of 2 Toyota's on pulling at the back and one winching at the front.

1. At what angle does a Discovery (or any other vehicle) start rolling or falling over?
    2. What basic recoverry gear should I have with me when going on a 4x4 trip?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In die K_1.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	11343 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Klein in die K.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	11344

Cheers,
    Andre
    Andre Nortje
    Kathu - NC

2008 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 Di-D 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Land View Post
    1. At what angle does a Discovery (or any other vehicle) start rolling or falling over?
    1. 31 deg - if no roof rack, etc.

2.1 Shovel (not spade) or 4x4 spade (over priced)

2.2 Highlift jack (best to have highlift jack points on vehicle) and Base Plate or air jack

2.3.1 Recovery kit - bag usually contains a tow strap, snatch strap, gloves, shackles
    2.3.2 I would ad onto kit - bridles, chain with hooks, ski rope, blanket or some "snatch strap arresting device"

2.4 Also consider PSP or sand ladders in your area.

All in all should set you back from R2k upwards.

I got stuck this weekend as I was going up a dune and slid off the path ...

2. What basic recovery gear should I have with me when going on a 4x4 trip?
    Andre

Preferably you should always go with another vehicle - this makes recovery much easier. For that you need a shovel and a kinetic strap. If you venture it alone - you needs the shovel and Hi-lift jack with proper recovery points. Most important is you need to know how to use all the stuff - I have been on outings before where guys have all the gear but clearly have never used it before. As a general rule, use the shovel first and clear the vehicle as good as you can. Then the strap or jack.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

Andre

Your Disco has steel bumpers and a hi-lift jack works fine on the rear bumper, just below the bumper light cluster. It will make a small dent on the underside of the bumper though the first time, but thereafter serves as a nice slot to keep the hi-lift stable. At the front the bullbar should have recovery rings. Before I get shot - a bullbar should not normally be used as a recovery point, but in the case of a Disco 1 it is directly attached to the chassis and sturdy enough. It can also take a hi-lift jack next to the section that is attached to the chassis.

I have been recovered numerous times by using straps attached to the recovery rings on the bullbar and have also used a hi-lift on all corners of my Disco, both for recovery and wheel changes. No problems, but it is dangerous and you should allways be wary.

Cheers

Andre, I've recently added a wheel-buddy to my recovery kit. This is the same as the Lift-mate and allows you to use a hi-lift to lift a wheel. It works well on the Disco, doesn't need a hi-lift point and is great for getting wheels out of holes without first having to lift the body to full articulation.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=13146
    '97 Disco Tdi