Defender 130 - Electrical issue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Defender 130 - Electrical issue

This one is directed at the Defender Puma Fundi's amongst us.

The past weekend I took the family to the farm North of Pretoria for the first time since I got my Defender approximately a month ago. It was then also the first time I took the Defender 130 off the Tar and onto a seriously corrugated gravel road.

After some distance, maybe twp to three Km's on the corrugated road listening to all of the noises emanating from the roof (sounds like a big flat piece of metal being wobbled) and some others I realised my hazard lights were on.

I immediately checked the hazard light switch but it was off and when I switched it on the only difference it made was that the little triangle sign on the dash also came to life. When I switched it off then only the little triangle sign on the dash went off but the flicker lights merrily kept on as if the hazards were on.

I stopped and switched the engine off and removed the key but the lights kept going. I removed the driver seat, opened the fuse box beneath the seat and pulled out a large square 40A fuse which allowed the tracker system siren to start wailing. I pressed back the fuse and turned the ignition back on and the wailing alarm went back to sleep and no further problems for the day.

However, yesterday on my way home I had to drive that same piece of gravel road but in the return direction and low and behold, the same happened. I then stopped at the tar road junction, did the fuse removal routine and went home.

Is this normal for a Defender 130 or should it be checked by an expert, hopefully not a stealer, although it most defenitely is still under warranty with only 16000Km's on and being a 2013 model.

Your advise will really be appreciated. I am on site in the Eastern Transvaal every week Monday to Thursday with my work Hilux Legend 40 so I can only attend to the Defender on Friday.
    Johan De Graaf

2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Doublecab
    2013 Range Rover evogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

Might be the tracker system? Remove that piece of rubbish... They don't really steal Defenders in SA.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

I would, at a blink of the eye, but then Outsurance is going to sit and giggle at me if I need to claim for any reason.
    Johan De Graaf

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I would, at a blink of the eye, but then Outsurance is going to sit and giggle at me if I need to claim for any reason.
    Move to Tuffstuff or CrossCountry. WAY better service, coverage and prices!
    Jaguar XJS V12

No problem for me as yet,mine is a 2008.Ben is right ,sounds like your tracker,get it checked out before you had a cut out somewhere in the bush.

Tuffstuff or Crosscountry may give a better deal on the 4x4 type vehicles, will they insure platkarre as well.

I have everything with Outsurance just for the convenience of having only one company to deal with.

I'll take the Defender in to a Netstar installer to have it checked out, the original installation was done by a mobile install unit at my house and when I tried it afterwards it did not work at all. Threats to have the system removed the following day had them take some action but now it seems the installation was not done well in any case.
    Johan De Graaf

In my disco tdi a couple of years ago i hit a big pothole badly one day
    The hazards came on and unlocked the doors
    Since then it is sensitive and does this more often on bad corrogated dirt
    Maybee the new defenders have a similar system
    Ross

I sent an e-mail to Altech Netstar stating my unhappiness with their installation and explaining what went wrong.

1hr later I received a call from their technical center requesting permission to come to my house tomorrow to sort the system out once and for all.

I am duly impressed, no quibbling or arguing, just that they'll be there to sort it properly.

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome after I took it for a test run on a bad gravel road this coming weekend.
    Johan De Graaf

Same thing happened to me last week. I was driving on a good dirt road at speed when I hit very bad corrugation and the hazard lights turned on as described above. I remembered reading that the Puma turns on it's hazard lights when it thinks it was in an accident so I stopped to get out the manual and find that chapter. I couldn't find it, must have read it in the workshop manual, but could vaguely recall it would keep flashing for 5 minutes or something. Anyway, I have probably been paging through the book for about 5 minutes when I decided to leave and the lights stopped flashing when I switched the car back on.

The corrugation I hit was so bad it lifted me off the seat, so the car probaly thought it was in an accident. I thought nothing off it and drove on. I have subsequently driven the same road again (slower) and it did not happen again.
    Dewald

Now that is something I did not know. The vehicle will think it was in an accident! I did not wait that long to try and re-start, just ripped out a fuse at random, had the tracker system alarm blare away until I refitted the fuse and switched the ignition on again, the alarm was silent and the hazards behaved normal.

We'll see what the Netstar guys come up with today. I'm in any case not happy that I have to be right next to the driver window before the remote will activate or de-activate the system.
    Johan De Graaf

I've driven VERY NASTY roads on which it sounded like the whole car would come apart and this never happened?

There is also a fuse number 32 or 34 or something under the steering that manages the hazards.....have a look there as well.

That was the first place I looked, removed it with absolutely no effect. It was defenitely not the actual "hazards" which came on although it consisted of all of the flicker lights switching off and on as if it was the hazards. The little triangular light on the dashboard indicating the hazards did not join in the fun.
    Johan De Graaf

Well, the Netstar guys were all over the Land Rover yesterday afternoon and could not find anything wrong with the installation. Not under the bonnet and neither behind the dashboard.

It seems then to be what DCR said, the Landy thought it was in an accident.

Maybe a trip down to the stealer with a request to adjust the sensitivity of the software is required, if it can be done even.

And I owe a big apology to the Netstar guys!!!
    Johan De Graaf

Not that I know everything in a Puma.......but........I've read ALOT on the Puma and have never, ever read this "accident" indication thing.

I am not sure it excist?

Having been involved in an "accident" in Bots myself (did not see a small "ramp" in the road and the car really flew a few meters before mking a very hard landing) and never had this reaction.

Thanks Regard,

Now I have to start thinking all over again!!!!

I hope I did not offer my apologies and to pay for the check done by Netstar yesterday too early!
    Johan De Graaf

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    Not that I know everything in a Puma.......but........I've read ALOT on the Puma and have never, ever read this "accident" indication thing.

I am not sure it excist?

Having been involved in an "accident" in Bots myself (did not see a small "ramp" in the road and the car really flew a few meters before mking a very hard landing) and never had this reaction.
    I've also never experienced this..

Oldtimer, did you have to pay for the Netstar check? Pity they couldnt find a problem.
    Please keep us up to date!

Could it not be a loose relay somewhere?
    Jaguar XJS V12

You know what I'll be doing this weekend!

I'll be spending some quality time under my Land Rover looking for bad connections, loose bolts, missing bolts (I already know of two) and I'll connect my Ultra-Gauge.

I already removed my brand new 9" HID spotlights......they're too big and I do not like the look of them on my 130. (They were mounted but never connected and I will post them in the classifieds to swop for smaller diameter HID's)

And then I'll take the 130 back to the same corrugated gravel road and see what happens.
    Johan De Graaf

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Tuffstuff or Crosscountry may give a better deal on the 4x4 type vehicles, will they insure platkarre as well.

I have everything with Outsurance just for the convenience of having only one company to deal with.
    Off topic but try Tuffstuff. I have everything with Tuffstuff, 3 platkarre, phones, iPads home content etc. never had an issue when I've claimed. Can't say the same for my Outsurance experience

Hope you get the 130 sorted

2003 LR Discovery 2 GS V8
    2013 LR Discovery SDV6 SE (SWAMBO)
    2014 BMW X5M

Toytjie,

Already been in contact with Tuffstuff, will most likely get a quote today.
    Johan De Graaf

Here is the page from the workshop manual that describes the flashing indicator lights. I had some of the details wrong (it's 2 minutes not 5).

Read under ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM MODULE, the paragraph below the frequency table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dewald

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast