4x4 Vehicle Advice for 64 year old

Exclamation 4x4 Vehicle Advice for 64 year old

Hi, I seek your indulgence for this post. Unexpectedly I have been given a life extension, now I need to rebuild my strength and weight.
    The purpose of this post is my Wife & I would like to do some serious traveling, Mozambique,Namibia etc. Where possible we would stay in Guest Acc. But not always possible.
    The immeadiate issue is choice of vehicle and here I would truly appreciate advice. Prados are expensive and all second hand have high km's. Fortuner are ok but theft is of concern. Any vehicle i want must not have 7 seats, 2 rows max, i don't want to tow.
    Jeep grand Cherokee 3lt CRD looks great and price curve is relative to km's not age.
    Is it a reasonable choice and what kit and where to get, would I Need. What wheels and tyres to start with.
    I have a Audi Allroad 2.7 twin TurboAuto , which has been brilliant including medium off road.
    Guidance gratefully received
    Bushbug

Hi Bushbug,

Welcome to the forum. A few words of advice:

1) Post a question regarding a specific make of vehicle (such as the Jeep) in the relevant section on the forum. This will ensure that you get answers from people who own the vehicle in question and you will quickly be able to form a good idea of whether it is the vehicle for you.

2) Use the "search" function on the forum to search for the vehicle you are interested in. You can then pick up on any recurring problems with the vehicle or just spend hours getting excited about the prospect of it.

3) For your intended use I would suggest a Generation 3 or 4 Pajero diesel. You get the legendary reliability (as with Toyota) minus the ridiculous price tag. These 3.2 DI-D motors have been known to run to well over 300 000km and dont necessarily need the low-sulphur diesel certain other makes need. Resale on these cars also isn't brilliant so if you are looking at a second-hand one there are some deals to be had!

Happy hunting

The 3.0 CRD in the Jeep is a Merc V6 & a very good motor. Pajeros make good sense, but Landy Rover Defender might be the answer.

Not sure a Defender would be comfortable enough (not much beats a Jeep in this department), but it is indeed the ultimate in true overlanding