Trip Report: Zambia & Zimbabwe Aug/Sep 2012 - Kafue, South Luangwa and Mana Pools

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trip Report: Zambia & Zimbabwe Aug/Sep 2012 - Kafue, South Luangwa and Mana Pools

Hello

I had posted the first part of the trip report quite a while ago and failed to follow up with the second and thirds instalments due to a busy schedule, but now the full trip report is up on my website. Here is the link: http://www.alisonbuttigieg.com/zambi...lf-drive-2012/

It is very long and has a lot of pictures - hope you enjoy it!

Hello Alison,

Thank you for a trip report that was a great read, together with your wonderful photos. I found it very helpful as I will be travelling with my wife to South Luangwa at the end of March and staying at Wildlife Camp. We are hoping to go to Zikomo Lodge in the Nsefu District if the roads are passable, as it is at the end of what I hear has been a very wet rainy season.

We are going to Zambia via Zimbabwe and will be taking the ferry from Mlibizi to Kariba on Lake Kariba - over 200km and 24 hours on the ferry - and after reading the account of your time at Mana Pools, am very tempted to do a bit of a detour. What amazing experiences you had!

Thanks once again for all the energy and effort taken to produce an outstanding trip report. BTW, I hope the stomach parasites have been sorted out?!

Alison, thank you so much for directing me to your wonderful trip report and very professional photos. It has brought back great memories. I suggest anyone with an interest in this sort of travel take the time to read it, you will be inspired!

Chitake is truely a wild, wild place. Like yourselves we have spent some sleepless nights there. Be sure to visit McBrides when next in the vicinity again, the best laid plans.....

Stan.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Absoloutley a fantastic trip report. Your command of the English language is excellent. So Helsinki isnt just full of unpronounceable volcanoes. Am off to Kafue and South Luangwa end of July so hopefully not as many tsetse's.
    Sorry for your brush with the law in Zambia. Will be going thru Mumbwa so might just give that official a little bit of South African justice.
    Really brilliant trip report and photos
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Sorry for your brush with the law in Zambia. Will be going thru Mumbwa so might just give that official a little bit of South African justice.
    I know you're joking, but for the sake of others reading this.......Please don't! Keeping interactions between tourists and police/ officialdom as friendly as possible is in everyone's interests. Zambian police are generally laid back and pleasant, so don't let the odd bad one end up spoiling it for everyone.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Thank you for your kind words!

Yes my parasites did clear up thankfully! Or so I hope

The problems we had in Zambia are very small issues when one considers the fabulous experiences, though missing Mc Brides was a disappointment. But I do recommend not handing over your passport to anyone and also knowing exactly what you should pay for speeding and other common fines to avoid our kind of situation. I will do better homework next time.

Thumbs up

Alison

What a fantastic report-told with a wry sense of humour and some high quality photos.

We're starting to get excited about our trip in late August/September to Kafue and South Luangwa. Decided to spend 3 days at McBrides Camp and 2 at Mushingashi before heading to South Luangwa.

Good luck with the photography-you've clearly got talent.

Thanks again for Part 2 of your trip report-well worth the wait!

Best wishes

Ron

Thank you Ron! I can understand your excitement, Kafue and South Luangwa are truly special places. I really hope you have a trip as fantastic as ours - hopefully minus the mishaps

What an amazing report, Alison! Thanks a lot!

I'm wondering if we met the same cops in Lusaka or if they are all the same...
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=121869
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Pierre, I wonder too!

But I have to say most of the police were very friendly - seems the rotten apples are concentrated in Lusaka. If we hadn't already lost time with the other incident with the officials I would have stood my ground and asked to deal with the problem in a police station - although 3 police swearing they saw us speed would have made it quite hard.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah80 View Post
    But I have to say most of the police were very friendly
    Yes! It's what we could see also allover the country except of Lusaka.

Just finished with reading the Mana Pools part of your report. No doubt: we must go there once!
    Pierre

Pierre: Mana Pools is by far the best park in Africa in my opinion!! Totally unmissable.

If you make the thought do book early (a year in advance) to ensure a couple of nights in Chitake as well one of the other exclusive campsites - there is very very high demand for those and they are the best Mana has to offer.

I will visit again for sure - one thing I will do differently is to ensure I have enough budget to stay a couple of nights in one of the camps who have really good guides, as Mana is all about walking and there are some fantastic guides out there.

Very nice report and first class pitures. Well done and thanks for sharing.
    Having bee on the smae tracks a few weeks aftr you, there are lots of memories refreshed and Mumbwa remain one of them.
    We got fuel from the pump and diesel from black market so I was sure we were ripped off - actually 3 times:
    1) quantity
    2) price
    3) quality

The sturdy old generation diesel engine however did burn the lot, no damages, but it would possibly also run on salad dressing.

Thanks again for the report.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Thanks Walter! Aaah this Mumbwa ... for sure next time we will just drive through. Thankfully we didn't refuel there. I can only imagine the horror of the car spluttering to a standstill on our way to the Finnish Embassy!

Alison, this is arguably the best trip report I have read by far!

Nice report, a thoroughly enjoyable read. Sorry I didn't introduce myself when we were both at Moorings campsite (we were in a chalet), forum members should have a brand mark on their foreheads or something to identify themselves.

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Alison, this is arguably the best trip report I have read by far!
    +1
    And makes me want to visit Zim again.
    Andrew Ashton
    2002 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB A/T

View my photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by andyrag View Post
    Nice report, a thoroughly enjoyable read. Sorry I didn't introduce myself when we were both at Moorings campsite (we were in a chalet), forum members should have a brand mark on their foreheads or something to identify themselves.
    Same with us in Maun Andy!
    Yes, we should all have a forum sticker on our forehead when we are in Africa!
    Pierre

Thanks Bertie & Andrew, glad you enjoyed it

Andy, yes it's a pity there is no way to recognize forum members! I think there is one forum for SANParks whose members go around with yellow ribbons around the mirrors of their cars or something.

Great report, wonderful photos. I really enjoyed it.
    Makes me want to head to Mana pools right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast