Carnage Canyon (Back to) - Page 9

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Ek reken ons moet hou by die idee om terug te sny totdat ons by 10 voertuie is, Pietersburgers ingesluit, en dan eers begin bysit.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

This is the latest list as I've got it.

1. Ronald (Pietersburg)
    2. Vlooi (Pietersburg)
    3. Shane JKA-MFG
    4. Richard JKA-MFG
    5. Andre
    6. Pierre
    7. Deon
    8. Willie
    9. Sakkie
    10. Van
    11. Robin
    12. Dirk (DVR)
    13. Dirk jnr
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Klink reg met my, dink ons moet stadig begin koppe bymekaar sit vir die attack! IE , Waar slaap ons vrydag aand? Takkel die canyon saterdag op en sondag terug en dan? wat van maandag? vra maar net.
    Last edited by NEON DEON; 2013/04/29 at 12:21 PM.
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

OK, fellow rock re-arrangers,

I have a suggestion...

* Friday night - sleep over in guest house of your choice in Polokwane - many to choose from.
    * Saturday morning sparrow (06:00) all meet at Carnage turn-off, drive trail
    * Saturday night, camp at the Beach, self sufficient
    * Sunday morning sparrow (06:00) return down Carnage trail and head for RockRash Ravine campsite in kloof.
    * Sunday night, Camp in kloof at RockRash Ravine, self sufficient
    * Monday morning sparrow (06:00) drive RockRash Ravine in reverse direction, many exit points, if time catches up with us.
    * Monday afternoon late, all return (or limp) home

This sounds like a plan? Seeing that you've come all this way...
    Wild About Wheeling!

God forgives, rocks don't!

Ronald

Just a suggestion : Don't you think we must organize a place where all the travelers can sleep over on Friday night. Maybe at "The Drift". Sommer for GEES BOU and nonsens praat? Plenty of space for all the vehicles. Self catering rates are as follows:

* Guest house sleeping 9/10 - R225/person/night
    * 4 x Chalets sleeping 2 each - R225/person/night
    * Camp - ħR120/person/night
    * Backpacker village with basic facilities - R150/person/night

We were REALLY CHALLENGED on the way down Rock Rash Ravine. Keep in mind that the way up will much be worse, so the vehicles must be prepared properly. Driving down Rock Rash Ravine is much worse than Carnage Canyon either way.

Sure, Theo,
    Sounds great! Will be good to get to know everybody before the carnage starts...
    Wild About Wheeling!

Any Idea on Dates yet?
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

Date is set. 15,16,17 June. The long weekend. The only time with...well, enough time?
    Last edited by Sakkie; 2013/04/29 at 03:49 PM.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    Date is set. 15,16,17 June. The long weekend. The only time with...well, enough time?
    Ag tog.. ek is eers weer in Augustus terug... Maar dis cool!!!.. Next time!!!
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

Ronald/Theo kan julle dalk kyk of julle vir ons plek kan reel by 'DIE DRIFT'? pryse vir chalet en kamp as dit moet?
    Then i would like to suggest that if all is in favor of the idea to try Rock rash ravine as well we plan this ....
    friday
    drive up and meet at THE DRIFT , team build get to no the rock re arangers.
    Saturday
    drive down to carnage canyon , make a brave effort to reach the beach, camp at the beach .
    Sunday
    leave the beach , drive some of carnage out and once close to the serves road use that to drive out .
    once out drive around to rock rash ravine, drive as far as we can , camp
    Monday
    drive some more of the ravine with what time allows, then use a get out and head fotr home.
    please add ideas to this ,
    CAN WE TAKE lT THAT IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST U ARE 100% IN? we need to have commited no for Ronald and Theo to make a booking.

THE LIST
    1, RONALD
    2, THEO
    3, DEON & TOSCA
    4, SAKKIE & ADELE
    5, WILLIE
    6, SHANE

Add your name to the list for final planning.

PS are we going to make/ take along equipment to "build a bridge " to get past dead dog gorge if the need arises? can we add the idea to the planning list? and lastly should we start a new thread for the final planning or just carry on with this one and plan along as we go? please remember that although we drive our own vehicle its a team effort to get all of them to the beach, so we need to plan things in order for each to no what to take along , we do not want to be in a situation and say " Eish" i have that strap in my store room if only i had packed it!
    EQUIPMENT LIST
    1, RECOVERY KIT
    2, HIGH LIFT JACK
    3, LIFT BUDDY
    4, ?
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Default Driving schedule & recovery gear

The plan proposed by Deon is basically what Ronald proposed except the sleepover at The Drift (http://www.roomsforafrica.com/establishment.do?id=7280). For security reasons I am not sure if we must drive up Rock Rash Ravine and then camp (too close to the surrounding villages). It will be better to camp in the gorge at the rock face and the next day drive up Rock Rash Ravine heading home afterwards. There is a number of places to exit RRR if time catches up with us.

Make sure that you pack ALL your recovery gear and make sure everything is in working order, especially winches. Mine left me stranding in RRR. It is not a pleasant experience to be stuck in RRR or CC with no winch.

Default Oops

RRR SE REVENGE.

KOEKSISTER MAKER

KOEKSISTER

2 WHEEL DRIVE ONLY!!! IN FLAT PORTION OF RRR WITH NO WINCH

Quote Originally Posted by 4.0 TURBO WJ View Post

THE LIST
    1, RONALD
    2, THEO
    3, DEON & TOSCA
    4, SAKKIE & ADELE
    5, WILLIE
    6, SHANE
    7, RICHARD
    I am in.
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7
    Previous Jeeps:
    2012 JKU Rubicon 3.6 V6 on 37's with Synergy 5" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks with Synergy Adjustable Control Arms
    2010 JKU Rubicon 3.8 V6 on 35's with Synergy 4" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks
    2008 JKU Sahara 2.8 CRD 6sp Man on 33's with Full Traction 3"

THE LIST
    1, RONALD
    2, THEO
    3, DEON & TOSCA
    4, SAKKIE & ADELE
    5, WILLIE
    6, SHANE
    7, Richard
    8, Dirk (DVR)
    9, Dirk (DVR Jnr)
    Sakkie Coetzee

I think everybody should arrange their own accommodation at Die Drift. This way each person can ensure that they get the right accommodation to suit their needs.

It will be good if we can get final commitment on who is attending. Please do not put your name on the list if you are not 100% committed! There are a couple of other guys that want to join, if there is space available. This gives us enough time to let them know, so they can plan accordingly.

Please remember, what you take in, you have to take out, ensure you have enough refuse bags to put all your trash in. Only stuff that actually burns up completely, can be disposed of in the camp fire, all other items have to be carried out. We would like to keep this trail as clean as possible. If anybody sees any trash, even if it is not your own, please pick it up and take it out.

We would like to emphasize the correct protocol for recoveries and repairs during the weekend:

• Please give yourself enough time to test any modifications or accessories fitted to your vehicle, well in advance, before embarking on this trip.
    • To try and avoid unnecessary recoveries and/or damage, it is imperative that each driver should have a competent spotter to assist through the gnarly spots
      • The advice of the appointed spotter, should then be followed very closely, failing which, can lead to obvious rock rash & pin-striping

• Prior to any recovery, the driver must ensure:
      • That he/she gets out of the vehicle (if possible) and assess the situation
      • That they are happy with the proposed recovery method, ultimately it is your vehicle that is on the line

• Every vehicle must have its own recovery equipment
      • Don't expect your buddy to snatch his recovery strap into oblivion, these items are costly to replace.
      • If you want to share recovery equipment, to save weight, arrange it prior to the trip.

• A winch should be mandatory
      • If you really can't have one in time, ensure that you have snatch ropes and tow ropes for recovery.

• As per Theo, ensure your winch is actually working.
      • Have the following winch accessories readily at hand:
        • Gloves, snatch block, bow shackles (4), winch rope weight, tree protector, plasma rope protection sleeve & winch extension strap/chain.

• Ensure that you have front & rear heavy duty recovery points, no recovery from tow balls, axles or steering components!
    • A High Lift Jack, Jack Buddy and Collapsible Axle Stand, is mandatory for many reasons:
      • Normal jacks can't lift the 4x4's high enough, when stuck on a rock, or performing a tire change in rocky, off-camber terrain
      • Due to today's long travel suspensions, a High Lift Jack alone, can't lift your 4x4 high enough to remove a wheel, or pack rocks underneath - enter the Jack Buddy
      • The Jack Buddy connects the High Lift Jack directly to your wheel, just a couple of clicks later and the wheel is in the air, without damage to your body and the vehicle is much more stable - get these from 4x4 Mega World
      • Ensure the Jack Buddy will work with your style of wheel.
        • Some mag wheels will require you to change the Jack Buddy strap, to a continuous type, to fit through and around the mag wheel spokes

• The collapsible axle stand is required when removing the wheel & tire from the axle - get these from 4x4 Mega World

• Tire repair kit, this should not replace an actual spare tire
    • Air compressor
    • Fire extinguisher - Ask Theo why
    • Welding Rods
    • Spares you think you might need...
    • Please ensure that the vehicle is repaired and strengthened, prior to the trip. If any doubt exists as to whether a component needs fixing and/or replacement, just do it - Murphy lurks at CC & RRR!
    • Vehicle batteries must be secured with a bracket and not bungi cord etc. We almost lost a vehicle on a Lesotho trip, because of this!
    • Bring your own tools!
      • Also remember any special tools for ball-joints, wheel bearings, wheel nuts, prop-shafts, filler plugs etc.

We want to encourage any constructive suggestions from all that are attending.

Here is a comprehensive checklist to ensure you don't miss anything for the weekend, please add whatever you feel I missed, and post it up, so I can complete my list.

This list covers a broad spectrum of equipment, so edit to suit the requirements for this trip.

4x4 Checklist.doc
    Wild About Wheeling!

andre` Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    THE LIST
    1, RONALD
    2, THEO
    3, DEON & TOSCA
    4, SAKKIE & ADELE
    5, WILLIE
    6, SHANE
    7, Richard
    8, Dirk (DVR)
    9, Dirk (DVR Jnr)
    10,Andre`
    I am in.

andre` Guest

THE LIST
    1, RONALD
    2, THEO
    3, DEON & TOSCA
    4, SAKKIE & ADELE
    5, WILLIE
    6, SHANE
    7, Richard
    8, Dirk (DVR)
    9, Dirk (DVR Jnr)
    10,Andre`
    11,Pierre

Pierre is also in.

You guys must have a blast!
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

Are we all in agreement to make our own booking at THE DRIFT? Theo , Ronald can u guys confirm ? the drift is 17 km out of P burg? If we stay their do we drive down the rd and turn left onto the Zebadiela rd or back to town and down another rd? Way back when i attended school @ Kuschke, and no its on the ZEB rd, Ateending the river trip in 2011 we stayed over at a guest house in town was quite good and had plety space, just cant remember the place , but please inform us of the best options. I would also think that it being a long week end we need to book place asap so that we are all in the same place and most of all can get place as some of the spots would want u to book for the weekend and not just one nite. So i call on all the canyoners to confirm their attendance and lets make the booking.
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Last time we stayed in Potties, Lonely Oaks if I remember correct. Corner of Hooge and van Riebeeck. Well priced, neat and comfortable.

We'll again stay there, and meet you guys at the same gathering spot as last time.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast