Komatipoort, Bilene route - avoiding Maputo - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Any updates on the Moamba road?
    D4 V8
    Live life on the edge... you get a better view !
    Disco 3 Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc

Hi all. We ended up going via Maputo as my passengers had different plans to mine, being out-voted 2-to-1 did not help. There was a fair bit of rain in the last week with some minor flooding between Bilene and Morungulu (via the main roads). In some places I found myself thinking that I was quite happy to NOT be on the back roads. Sorry I cannot comment first hand on the Macia-Moamba route.

Had a baptism of fire with sand driving from Bilene to Bilene Beach camp - I have very little experience with soft sand. Even at 1.2 Bar there were a few touch-and-go moments. Some of the tracks were quite deep. I saw a Unimog around - I suspect he might be the cause of some of the really deep tracks. Few belly scrapes and hairy moments - but we came through in one piece.

Again apologies for not being able to provide more info on the alternate route. However the rain was quite heavy and I expect that the dirt roads might have taken some beating last week.
    Last edited by DubDub; 2013/03/19 at 01:54 PM.

Sometimes the road most traveled is the best I suppose, especially after the flooding. No bad feelings.
    2015 Nissan X-Terra
    2006 KTM 950 Adv

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Winston Churchill

I'll probably still take the Moamba route tomorrow morning for a bit of an adventure. I'll take some pictures and report back on the conditions next week.

If anyone is also thinking of taking that route let me know, maybe a convoy is in order...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff08 View Post
    I'll probably still take the Moamba route tomorrow morning for a bit of an adventure. I'll take some pictures and report back on the conditions next week.

If anyone is also thinking of taking that route let me know, maybe a convoy is in order...
    Thanks Geoff, I'm taking that route next week Thursday for Easter weekend. Please keep us up-to-date.

I used the Northern route last year and it was in good condition.

Simon.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

Hi. I also want to take that route this coming Thursday. Planning on crossing the border around 6ish.
    Is the border open 24 hours?
    FJ Cruiser

BMW R1200GS LC

4x4 AG GP0132

Hi guys,

Did both routes this weekend and can report that the top road is in better condition.

The lower road has quite a few potholes and ditches, but not much corregation. With that said I managed to do the Moamba - Magude trip in 1hr50, averaging about 70km/h with about 12 "oh f#$%" moments. Somehow my gf managed to fall asleep during all this! Traffic wise there were a few tractors and buses on the last 30km stretch. The road was good fun and tested out the new shocks on the Tuna (which did not end up on its roof...).

The upper road took me just over 2hrs and has very few potholes and ditches. The corregation in parts is quite bad, testiment to how much is used. There are stretches of rocky patches, corregations and hard sand and every now and then a ditch to wake you up. The road is at places quite narrow, which will make towing a wide boat a bit interesting (I would choose the upper road for towing). The only traffic I encountered was other South Africans en route to Magude - nearly had an accident with a guy in a Mazda bakkie driving at speed on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner, so slow down when you get to these corners...

In conclusion I enjoyed both routes and would highly recommend them as an alternative to going through Maputo - no cops!

Cheers

Great, i will take this road then on Thursday morning

Thanks for feedback
    FJ Cruiser

BMW R1200GS LC

4x4 AG GP0132

Quote Originally Posted by ginoFJ View Post
    Hi. I also want to take that route this coming Thursday. Planning on crossing the border around 6ish.
    Is the border open 24 hours?
    Hi Gino, dont know if you have seen my earlier thread but yes the border is 24 hours.
    His: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Call of Duty
    Hers: 2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LZE
    Ours: 2011 Jurgens Safari XT 140

His: AG0105
    Hers: AG0005

Default Alternative routes from Centurion to Bilene

What alternative routes (with an indication of road conditions and travelling times) are currently available between Centurion to Bilene? I would prefer to avoid the Lebobo border post.

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    What alternative routes (with an indication of road conditions and travelling times) are currently available between Centurion to Bilene? I would prefer to avoid the Lebobo border post.
    What we have done a couple of times is to go into Swaziland near Piggs Peak and then into Moz. It's a fun detour but Swaziland love to confiscate any meat you have. I would rather suggest to go through Komatipoort.
    Kevin
    2016 VW Polo Vivo 1.4
    2014 Mitsubishi Outlander (wife's car).
    1969 Series IIa 109 station wagon (Chev 3800 engine) Sold

Ek wil ook graag maandeinde Billene toe deur Komatipoort. Hoe is die paaie en waarvoor moet ek oppas en wat het ek nodig. Moet ek liewer die Prado vat of sal die platkar okay wees.

FJ Cruiser
    Prado 3,4 v6 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by keian View Post
    Ek wil ook graag maandeinde Billene toe deur Komatipoort. Hoe is die paaie en waarvoor moet ek oppas en wat het ek nodig. Moet ek liewer die Prado vat of sal die platkar okay wees.
    Wat wil jy met platkar in Mozzie doen? In Afrika ry jy 4x4 of bly by die huis IMHO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2