4x4 Recovery that went horribly wrong - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Zantus.

Sorry mate, but them bolts showing in your second last pic are too short. There should always be thread showing out of the nut once tight, even if you are using grade 12.9
    Sorry mate, but they were replaced by longer bolts the next day, didn't think I needed to mention it, because it's rather obvious to me, but a good point!

Beans Guest

BARTHO nice steam pipe on the rear, but dont you think there could be a problem with the tow hook in the middle of the pipe. What i find is that when you recover form that point you can run the risk of bending the chassis at the rear. I like to put the revovery at the rail of the chassis and then pull in a straight line force

I've learnt the hard way:

1. Check all connections etc yourself, do not trust anyone else to do it,
    2. Where possible use your own equipment, you do not know what the stae of someone else equipment is,
    3. Get everyone else out of the way.

I was once recovered out of a mudhole at Koperfontein. I connected my towstrap with shackles to my vehicles standard recovery points. What seemed like a simple easy operation turned to a nighmare. The person recovering me decided to attach his strap to mine by just hooking the shackles together. No jolt nothing, just a smooth pull and his strap broke.

After getting two histerical kids out the back (covered in glass), sister in law form the middle bench bleeding and my wife from the front bruised, we managed to get the car out and figure out what happend

Sister in law was lucky, only 12 stiches, wife had a small bruise on the shoulder. On the car it was on a broken rear window and a dented sunvisor.

The guy attached his towstrap he bought from Checkers. I did want to get out in the mud again and never checked. I just to for granted that he knew what he was doing. A towstrap with two shackles travels very very quickly
    Johann Bredell

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    BARTHO nice steam pipe on the rear, but dont you think there could be a problem with the tow hook in the middle of the pipe.
    Go have a good look at those pics again Beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Why should one recover in reverse.......
    Not always, but always in the direction of easiest and safest recovery, which more often than not is back where you came from, and not many of us attempt obstacles in reverse.

If those guys followed that rule, a mild pull backwards would have saved his bonnet and windscreen......but then again, that's not the "testosterone and beer way" is it.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Stay away and pay someone who can!
    Engel that creates a "problem" in itself. 90% of the 4x4 equipment suppliers out there are a bunch of palookas! Most of the sales personnel don't even own 4x4x's. Where does one go!

Quote Originally Posted by alanB View Post
    I would say impact velocity would be anywhere between 200 and 350 km/h.
    I like your thinking and I reckon your assumptions are OK for this calc. And I still dont think any bonnet will protect you from such a force.
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Well I think the lesson learnt is first of all safety. The first rule is to make a safe recovery and then you have to follow the rules to do so. As Jbeez had the first hand experience in such a recovery i do not think it will happen again to him as he has learnt a lesson. The problem in a recovery is that we do not use the safty precautions that we are suppose to do..... We are in a mindset that the vehicle that needs recovery is not stugged so deep and we will pull it out quickly ( Hou vas my dop en kyk hierdie move my ou) So what happens next is that your trip might reaches the end as it could be fatal.

Personally I do not like snatching a vehicle but will use it should it be the last resort. I like to pull it slowly and also like to use a hi lift jack. I had been stucked one's in mud and 3 vehicles could not manage to pull my bakkie out of it. After broken tow ropes and smelly clutches the only thing to do was to use the hi lift jack and jack the vehicle out of the tracks.

The speed that the tow ball or shackle is traveling when something brakes will remove your head from your body. In this case the guys did not think but at least I have learn from there mistakes and at least I now can see why you should use the correct recovery gear..

The owner of these photos could sell them to Andrew St Pierre-White. He mentioned a similar incident in the 2000 edition of his book, but didn't have photos for extra emphasis. I'm sure these will bring the message home to anyone who sees them...

Quote Originally Posted by td54x4 View Post
    Engel that creates a "problem" in itself. 90% of the 4x4 equipment suppliers out there are a bunch of palookas! Most of the sales personnel don't even own 4x4x's. Where does one go!
    Get somebody on the forum to help you and do it yourself............
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I like your thinking and I reckon your assumptions are OK for this calc. And I still dont think any bonnet will protect you from such a force.
    You're always having a go at me about experiments... now it's your turn to do one
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Isn't it funny, even after what happened and they are now recovering from the back, you get all the people standing around still watching.

Jeep Wagoneer man!
    Series III Landy man!
    I eat Chillies for breakfast man!

Talking

At the end of the day the TOWBAR set up was the weak link. I think it shoud be mandatory that all 4x4 vehicles should have proper factory fitted recovery points back and front when purchased. This for sure will solve a lot of home made problems. Just a thought

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by henris View Post
    Get somebody on the forum to help you and do it yourself............
    Engel's point was don't do it yourself!

Hi All,

Thought I'd share with you guys some facts surrounding this incident since we were there. I've got my own set of nasty pics and video clips of this, and other incidents.

It all happened at the World record attempt event at Outlaws.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=12405

Arrived there quite early the morning and everything went well, but as the day progressed with more and more guys trying to get through the mudhole and trying other stunts, we soon realised that the event was not going to be one that we would ever attend again. Alcohol was becoming a major factor.

By around midday the mud was so thick that almost every single vehicle had to be towed out. Quess which method was used....
    Up till the incident with the Hilux happened, most of the time private vehicles was used as recovery vehicles.

The driver of the Hilux suffered some serious injuries to his left arm, as well as cuts and bruises to his face from the shattered glass. The other passengers also sustained minor injuries to their faces.

The hilux was eventually recovered from the rear. I think it was one of only 2 vehicles that was recovered from the rear.

After the incident everybody was ordered not to do recoveries and that only the guys from outlaws will handle recoveries.

This was done by still using the snatch strap and tow ball method, sometimes on both vehicles!
    Some of the vehicles was snatched up to 6 or 7 times before they got free'd!

A lot of times there was other 4x4's parked less than 10 meters away right in the path of the recovery vehicle.
    There was another snatch strap that eventually gave in but amazingly no damage or other major incidents happened at the mudhole.

There is also a quarry with uphills ranging from difficult to near impossible on the ground of Outlaws, next to the main road. Alot of the people went over there to play, us included.

Here the wheels literally came off! After a short while we went back to the main area to have a bite to eat and left soon afterwards.

We decided to stop on the main road next to the quarry just to see what was happening. Here we saw what the expression "brandewyn het nie brieke nie" really means!
    Guys barely able to stand on their feet, attempting the full range of uphills available! We saw bottles flying out of load bins and 4x4's being damaged!From where we were standing, it was chaos! Cherry on top was the ML Mercedes also tackling most of the obstacles, eventually loosing parts of its front bumper!

A lot of things was being broken that day, but I don't think the world record was one of them.
    Wouter van Rooyen
    Discovery 3 Tdv6
    Defender 90 Tdi

After reading what LandyLover had to say I reckon a good event to have missed

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    You're always having a go at me about experiments... now it's your turn to do one
    Anyways, Simon, this challenge I'll leave up to you, or some other boffin to work out what speed and mass a bonnet could withstand a flying object Any takers on this calc
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Anyways, Simon, this challenge I'll leave up to you, or some other boffin to work out what speed and mass a bonnet could withstand a flying object Any takers on this calc
    This looks like a job for the myth busters!!
    Currently: 2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D/C 4x4
    Previously: 1996 LR Defender 110 V8

Hi LandyLover. Thanks for confirming that alcohol does NOT dilute stupidity. I cannot believe that the venue owners allowed this. Surely they should have known better and intervened.

Even the final recovery appear as if it AGAIN was on the tow ball.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLover View Post
    Hi All,

Thought I'd share with you guys some facts surrounding this incident since we were there. I've got my own set of nasty pics and video clips of this, and other incidents.
    Oh please post them... then again maybe not... and it's no wonder the 4x4 community is getting such a bad rap....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Wheel Lover View Post
    Hi LandyLover. Thanks for confirming that alcohol does NOT dilute stupidity. I cannot believe that the venue owners allowed this. Surely they should have known better and intervened.

Even the final recovery appear as if it AGAIN was on the tow ball.
    And I see they used the tow ball on the Hilux's front bumper too. Who knows where that might have gone if the Rangie's ball had not come off first...

"Kortbroek" will have a field day with this type of incident.
    These aholes will ruin it for all conscientious 4xfourby owners

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast