Lekgalameetse Nature Reserve

Default Lekgalameetse Nature Reserve

Being new on the 4x4 scene, I've driven on farm roads, in game reserves, using every conceivable legal dirt road but never had the opportunity to drive on a trial rated for 4x4's.

The opportunity came with an invite by Nico (Suzuki Forum). We had to visit an orphanage on the Tzaneen - Lydenburg road (R36). Nico checked the maps and saw that the orphanage is off the Ofcolaco road, which takes you into the Legalameetse Nature Reserve.

We used my two door Discovery I 300 Tdi Auto, and departed from Polekwane, took the road to Tzaneen via Magoebaskloof, took the R36 to Lydenburg, turned right at the Ofcolaco turn-off, visited the orphanage, and then turned back (left) onto the Ofcolaco road. This dirt road takes you into the Legalameetse Nature Reserve. You have to report to the ranger's office, convince him you drive a 4x4, and inform him of your planned trip, in our case driving through the Park. No entrance or conservancy fee is required.

The first section is a tarred road, going past a waterfall, where one can stop for a rest or lunch. The tarred section continues through a small pass, and then the road becomes a farm road, passing two old abandoned homesteads, and passing through avocado orchards, where ons has to drive slowly to prevent dust clouds. The dust is detrimental to the ripening avocados. You pass through some plains where game is present, and then the actual trial starts. This is a mountain pass, built with stones and rocks, steep descents, very narrow tracks, no passing on many sections, but passing areas created in the sharper turns. The track continues up and down, but more down, and alongside the Wolkberge mountains. Many places one is in low range, low gear, to assist the steep, rocky descents. It was slightly uncomfortable for the rear passengers as the constant "climbing" over the rocky path, causes a lot of swaying, aggravated by a sheer rock face on the one side, and emptiness on the other side. Fortunately we stopped often to stretch our legs, and admire the scenery.

It took us about 3 hours to the other end of the trail, where a warden greets you again. I presume they have some communication system between the two gates, to keep track of who's going up, and who's coming down.

Outside the park one drives on past Zeekoeigat, through Chunniespoort, which is a single track again, with no control, 1st come first through, the one closer to the entrance, will reverse. From there you go past Gladdeklip, Rietkolk and then on to Polekwane.

One sad note was the littering on the trial of empty beer bottles and cans. As only 4x4's and some pick-ups can drive there, it puts a very negative perception on 4x4's, which is sadly many times wrongly accused of destroying nature. We did see a Ford F250, roaring toward us, with a number of potbellied, beer drinking, shirtless "manne" on the back. The back was filled with beer crates, many empty, but I could not see any empties in the load bay.......This puts a cloud onto the serious nature loving and conserving 4x4 community, one can only hope that these types will be brought to Justice, someday.

For a first time 4x4 trial, this was great, I had "tired" wrists that evening, but the tranquility of the drive, barring the F250, was worth it.

Thys
    Last edited by Thys Willemse; 2007/11/18 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar & syntax
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox plate, new engine courtesy Mitsubishi at 95k km.

Thys,

Welcome to the offroad, 4x4 world, I'm sad in the way it was introduced to you. I stayed in Pietersburg until recently, I'm now in Pretoria

Legalameetse route has the potential to be one of the more scenic and nature type routes out there, but you were not on the Legalameetse route.

The route that you were taken on is used on a daily base by 4x2 Taxis, transporting people from Venda, Letsitele to Lebowa, Sekhukhune. Therefore explaining a lot of the litter you saw, unfortunatly the F250 is not helping our cause.

There is a whole weekend outing out there, going through and along the Olifants river, The Sekororo trail, and of course .... the real Lekgalameetse which you didn't see.

I hope to show you someday the real deal

Some additional reading...

http://www.isuzuoffroad.co.za/index....ewtopic&t=1769
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    Wat trou by sy gewete bly
    As hy straf in plaas van beloning kry.
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

The Dec/Jan Leisure Wheels has a nice article about the Sekororo Trail.
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

pierreb Guest

Frik,
    Verduidelik vir ons hoe werklike Lekgalameetseroete loop. Ons kerk (NG Kerk Skeerpoort) oorweeg om die roete vir 'n "pa & seun" naweek te gaan doen.
    Hoe moeilik is dit? Het 'n mens 'n gids nodig, ons het geharde & gesoute 4x4 manne in die gemeente, maar niemand ken die roete.
    Dankie
    Pierre Bredenhann (072-304-0489)

Pierre,

Met plesier, ek sal bietjie in my argiewe gaan rond krap en kan dus 'n GPS track deur stuur.

Kort kant van die saak.....

Jy kyk na 'n volle Saterdag en Sondag .... Sondag aand 19:00 behoort jy by die huis in Pta terug te kan wees.

Vanaf Pretoria (ek praat nou van op die laatste 05:30) die oggend ry N1 noord tot by Potgietersrus, van daar ry via Zebediela en Lebowakgomo deur na die Pietersburg -Burgersfort pad, van daar af het julle twee opsies om by die oornagkamp te kom.

Die oornag kamp is deel van die African Ivory Route - daar is geen elektrisieteit, wel parrefien en gas, storte en lopende toilette, drinkwater is vanaf 'n fontein en veilig. Jy benodig eie beddegoed, kos en drink. Kook en eetgerei word verskaf.

Probeer om groep nie meer as 7 voertuie te hou.

En van hier af moet jy 'n kaart/prent voor jou he om verder die verskillende opsies/roetes te verduidelik.
    Frik Eloff

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

pierreb Guest

Default My e-pos adres

Frik, Hier is my e-pos adres vir die kaart of prent van die Lekgalameetseroete
    [email protected]
    Groet Pierre

Het jou 'n e-pos gestuur, laat weet maar.
    Frik Eloff

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

pierreb Guest

Dankie Frik,
    Kaart gekry, my GPS is IV Plus, weet nie mooi hoe om op rekenaar te koppel en gebruik. My dogter werk by omgewings inpak ingeneurs en kon vir my 'n drukstuk maak.
    Gesels een van die dae met jou oor 'n "trip"

Quote Originally Posted by pierreb View Post
    Frik,
    Verduidelik vir ons hoe werklike Lekgalameetseroete loop. Ons kerk (NG Kerk Skeerpoort) oorweeg om die roete vir 'n "pa & seun" naweek te gaan doen.
    Hoe moeilik is dit? Het 'n mens 'n gids nodig, ons het geharde & gesoute 4x4 manne in die gemeente, maar niemand ken die roete.
    Dankie
    Pierre Bredenhann (072-304-0489)
    Hi Pierre
    As julle nog van plan is om die trail te ry, laat my weet.
    ek sal graag seun wil saambring en iets nuuts ry.
    Nou al moeg dieselde trails oor en oor ry.
    Jeep Wrangler

One life. Live it

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    The Dec/Jan Leisure Wheels has a nice article about the Sekororo Trail.
    PDF van Sekororo aangeheg. Jammer oor die kwaliteit, dis moeilik om te scan uit 'n dik tydskrif sonder om die blaaie uit te skeur.

Sekororo roete.pdf
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Kyk.....

Ek raak al hoe meer lus om iets te reel vir die wat wil.....

Dit sal egter behels dat verlof vir die hele Vrydag ingesit moet word.

Wintertyd het die extra bonus van speel in die Olifants rivier

As die brandstof pryse net wil saamspeel.
    Frik Eloff

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post

Die oornag kamp is deel van die African Ivory Route - daar is geen elektrisieteit, wel parrefien en gas, storte en lopende toilette, drinkwater is vanaf 'n fontein en veilig. Jy benodig eie beddegoed, kos en drink. Kook en eetgerei word verskaf.
    Does anyone have contact details for the African Ivory Route. We are trying to book one of the camps and getting no response to emails, phone calls etc.

Henk
    '97 Disco Tdi

Henk, ons het die volgende kontak details gebruik en heel vinnig geholpe geraak, was vir Mafefe asook vir Ntubu kamp in die Masebe reservaat.

Hoop dit help...
    Central Reservations - Tel: 015 295 2829
    Fax: 015 291 2654
    E-mail : [email protected]
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

Dit is regtig n moet roete. Het hom gedoen so twee naweke terug. Weet nog nie hoe om n short cut na my thread "Mafefe report back" onder Guateng te bewerkstellig nie. Daar is heelwat fotos en wat dit ons gekos het. Gaan verseker binnekort weer.

Bedoel jy so 'n shortcut ?

Landjero se report back op Mafefe trail
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

Dit is net so
    Thanks Johan
    Sal nog eendag dit leer

UberPatrol Guest

Middag Pierre
    Ek het gelees - 'n paar maande later - dat julle belangstel om die Lekgalameetse roete te doen (die regte een.) Het julle ooit so ver gekom om dit te doen. Ek het dit onlangs gedoen en ken die roetes / paaie ens.

Ek sal dit enige dag weer doen. Dis rerig ongelooflik.

UberPatrol Guest

Middag Pierre

Ek het gelees julle wil die Lekgalameetse gaan doen. Het julle ooit so ver gekom? Ek ken die roete en sala baie graag weer wil gaan. Laat weet maar. [email protected]

Gee asb 'n skreeu wanneer julle wil gaan. sal graag wil saamgaan.
    Deon

If you can't fix it with a hammer,you have an electrical problem...

Default Re: Lekgalameetse Nature Reserve

is dit moontlik om mafefe roete en sekororo in een nanweek te doen (miskien lang naweek)?
    (Dis nou wanneer sekororo weer oop is - wat blyknbaar binnekort gaan wees).