Waterproof p&s

Thread: Waterproof p&s

Default Waterproof p&s

Hi all,

We're planning going on an island holiday for our silver anniversary in a few months time. So I need to look at a camera that is reasonable waterproof and compact for when we do snorkeling or dolphins etc.

Waterproof housings are very expensive, so I was thinking of getting a reasonably good waterproof point-and-shoot or compact camera.

Any recommendations?

I have just got the Panasonic Lumix TS4, waterproof to 12 meters, 12mp. I am very happy with it.

Canon has a great P&S. 10m water resistant. Witnessed how that 10m P&S went down to 26m in June 2011 and it's still working today. Guess they made sure it's waterproof to 10m.

If you have some extra cash...I really like the sealife (my 1st choice....don't have one yet, a bit expensive). IIRC they are rated to 60m so I believe it should be fine for snorkeling and swimming with dolphins.

You also get the Olympus Uthough (various models)....I believe they are waterproof to a few meters and then also to 30m+ with an optional housing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Need to make sure about the specs, but the Olympus is also high on my list.

Sony also makes one, not a big fan of sony, so haven't looked into the specs that much.

Gopro........nice gadget.

Sea&Sea.......don't like it.

I'm sure there is some other makes out there, but this is the once I can think of now and did some reading on them.

So, my recommendations:
    Cost effective, works well - Canon
    Semi Cost effective- works great - Olympus Uthough
    Need to sell a hand - great specs - Sealife
    Need to sell an arm and a leg - housing for my DSLR

Good luck and congrats on the silver anniversary coming up.

O yes, how could I forget the panasonics.....also very nice.

I am a CANON man.

That being said I looked at both the Canon and Nikon water proof cameras - need something for Vic falls.

The salesman confirmed that they had a number of comebacks on the Canon unit - leaking water ....

For a diver the Canon is MUCH better laid out - big buttons etc.

The Nikon buttons are very small, and you need to be precise to press the correct button - cant see this working under water - at least not for any setting changes. Switching it on and taking a pics should be easy enough though.

As for the camera - very happy with it !

Thank all, some very useful recommendations to get me going

Roelog take a drive to OutDoorPhoto and look and FEEL these cameras for yourself.

Errm, because my wife has a restraining order against my going within 2 clicks of ODP?

Seriously, of course I'll go have a look. For some reason they don't carry the Canon on their website, but they do have the Nikon as well as the some in the Olympus Touch range.

I also have a few months to spare, so it may be worth waiting to see any new models that becaome available. E.g. the Olympus TG-2 supposedly will be available locally at the end of Feb. But that model might be getting a bit too pricey.