Pretoria to Tanzania advice needed

Default Pretoria to Tanzania advice needed

We are planning a 5 week trip starting December 2013 to Tanzania. The route would be Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi and back to SA via Moz if we have time. We have travelled through Botswana extensively and will only be staying there overnight. Things we would like to see are Lake Tanganyika, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Mt. Kilimanjaro, Lake Malawi.
    Any advice on road conditions, places to stay, best borders to use, things to see etc. will be greatly appreciated.

We just did a tour covering all the destinations you mention, including Zanzibar. We went with an organized tour in our own vehicles. The tour was organized by African Expeditions who does the tours for Monument Toyota, but all makes wellcome. The tour will be repeated again this year from 7Dec to 5 Jan 2014. The tour leader is JJ du Toit. Contact him on [email protected] or tel. 0861222929.

Thanks for the info! Did you camp or stay in lodges? We will be camping in RTT's. Any advice on accommodation by Lake Tanganyika and on road conditions at that time of the year in western Tanzania, i.e were the roads very wet?

Mostly camping, rooftop probably better as you can expect lots of rain. At least no mud to contend with as with ground tents.Unfortunately I cannot comment on the roads to the West, as we went from Kapishiya via Tunduma border, Mbeya, Iringa, Dodoma and up to Ngorongoro and Serengeti. The roads leading up to before Ngorongoro are generally good except for a few stretches. The buses are more of a hazard, give them all the space they need! Then the road past Ngorongoro to Serengeti is in a shocking state of neglect and disrepair,made worse by the fact that it is used by hundreds of vehicles daily.Watch out for the "Kamikazes" driving the pop-top Landcruisers loaded with foreigners. To add insult to injury you have to pay 40 USD one way for a permit to use the road.

We did the trip in July 2012 in 6 weeks. Too much to write. I am in Pretoria and will give you all the info we have. 0825510116. Francois Cooper

Default FCooper

Hi,

We will be doing the trip in late June/early July and I would love to pick your brains re camping, problems etc.

I will be arriving in Pretoria in mid-June and will contact you then if that is OK.

Cheers,

Ruwenzori