Namibia Road Trip June 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Namibia Road Trip June 2013

We are doing camping trip in June through Namibia with our Toyota 4x4’s and Bushlapa 4x4 caravans leaving from Cape Town.

a) Please can you make suggestions in terms of the camping accommodation in:

1) Okahandja,
    2) Kamanjab,
    3) Orupembe
    4) Amspoort

We don't necessarily need fancy campsites, more beautiful scenery and not over crowed.

b) What are the state of these gravel roads and are there campsites?http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...es/shocked.gif #

c) Which road to choose:??
    From Opuwo on route to Orupembe, should we drive via Etanga or Okandjombo

d) Distances between destinations: Is one day reasonable taking driving time into account or should we stay another day?

Our Trip:
    Hobatere Lodge or Porcupine Camp-1 Day
    Kunene River Lodge, Kunene-1 Day
    Omarunga Campsite, Epupa Falls-3 Days
    Orupembe -1 Day #
    Purros CampSite-1 Day
    AmsPoort -1 Day #
    Khowarib Campsite, SesFontein-1 Day
    Aba Huab Camp, Twyfelfontein-1 Day
    SofiaDale, SwakopMund-2 Days
    Sossus Oasis Camp Site, Sossusvlei-1 Day
    Ranch Koiimasis, Aus,-1 Day
    McDougalls Bay, Port Nolloth-1 Day

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.<O</O

Okahandja - as jy inkom by die dorp is daar kampplek,

Kamanjab - daar is ook heelwat kampeerplekke.
    Last edited by witklipbank; 2013/02/18 at 06:27 AM.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by KampGat View Post

Our Trip:
    Hobatere Lodge or Porcupine Camp-1 Day where do you stay between here and KRL
    Kunene River Lodge, Kunene-1 Day which route?
    Omarunga Campsite, Epupa Falls-3 Days I would stay 2 days, add one day somewhere else.
    Orupembe -1 Day #
    Purros CampSite-1 Day
    AmsPoort -1 Day #
    Khowarib Campsite, SesFontein-1 Day also consider ongongo
    Aba Huab Camp, Twyfelfontein-1 Day sesfontein here one day? rather add a day
    imo trip a bit rushed, and some distances will be difficult to cover in one day, depending on road conditions.

Remember, our rain is late this year, so it seems, so many of the routes you want to travel may be wet out of season.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

Default Alpec Bushcamp and Gamepark

Die Alpec Bushcamp by Alene en Pieter Pretoruis is 'n baie goeie opsie - as jy vanaf Outjo se rigting kom draai reg op C35 rigting Ruacana by 4 rigting in Kamanjab.

Ek het baie lekker daar oorgestaan - daar is chalets ook en hul kan vir jou kos maak en 'n kroegie vir koue goed.
    Contact 2 : Pieter Pretorius
    Cell : +264(0)81 462 2933
    Cell2 : +264(0)81 462 2934
    Fax : +264(0)67 330 255

Bel gerus en jy sal hoor jy wil daar oorstaan:
    Neels

-----------------------------------------------------
    Neels Borstlap - Somerset West
    Namibië (Every where but Caprivi), Botswana, Zim, Angola - On my way to Caprivi, Mosambiek, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Zambia in 2014!!!

Caprivi Houseboat Safari Lodge, Katima Mulilo

Walter, hope your optimism becomes reality.

Quote Originally Posted by sandbug View Post
    Walter, hope your optimism becomes reality.
    lol, say's the guy who lives in the only place in Nam which has had enough rain this year. We can always dream and hope Curt.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz

Walter
    You say Sesfontein - Twyfelfontein too long to do in one day. We are planning coming from the south from White Lady to Khowareb in one day. Will that also be pushing it?
    Thanx!
    Heinz
    Bushlapa Miskruier No. 68

Hi, Hobatere campsite was a magical place and we have spend many hours at the lookout above the waterhole. But from what I understood Hobatere Lodge burned down in 2011. The consesion was not renewed and the campsite is now run by some community. But I cant find any contact details. So please if someone can help.

Take note your distances as you will not average more than 50kph on the gravel roads - probably much less on many of them, especially with caravans in tow.

3) Orupembe Nearest camp is Marble Mine, about 20km north.
    4) Amspoort Bush camp only, and do not camp in river.

From Opuwo on route to Orupembe, should we drive via Etanga or Okandjombo. People who work in the area seem to favour Etanga and that will take you closer to Marble Mine. The other route, you have to cross a deeply rutted plain of white clay that can become impassable if it rains and is unpleasant when dry.

Our Trip:
    Hobatere Lodge or Porcupine Camp-1 Day Hobatere has not been reinstated after the fire.
    Kunene River Lodge, Kunene-1 Day
    Omarunga Campsite, Epupa Falls-3 Days
    Orupembe -1 Day # See above.
    Purros CampSite-1 Day If you can make two nights at Puros, that would be good as there is plenty to see.
    AmsPoort -1 Day # Amspoort to Khowarib in the day is OK. Better to take the Ganamub after the poort, rather than the Hoanib as the driving conditions are horrible - deep fine dust.
    Khowarib Campsite, SesFontein-1 Day Sesfontein has many mossies because of the springs.
    Aba Huab Camp, Twyfelfontein-1 Day Best have a full day here.
    McDougalls Bay, Port Nolloth-1 Day[/QUOTE]

Chris

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

Heinz, it's over 400km on not the best of roads, it is all possible, but you will be looking at a long and tiring drive.

Do you plan to skip twyfelfontein etc?

Personally I prefer shorter drives, more relaxing and more time around the campfire with a cold one and more time to explore the area.

But unfortunately longer distances now and then can not be avoided, especially in Nam.

Good advice from Chris, as always.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    Take note your distances as you will not average more than 50kph on the gravel roads - probably much less on many of them, especially with caravans in tow.

Thanks Chris, will definitely consider!

3) Orupembe Nearest camp is Marble Mine, about 20km north.

I have Googled Marble Mine and will check if I can book with them.

4) Amspoort Bush camp only, and do not camp in river.

Thanks, just very nervous that I will not be able to make a booking.

From Opuwo on route to Orupembe, should we drive via Etanga or Okandjombo. People who work in the area seem to favour Etanga and that will take you closer to Marble Mine. The other route, you have to cross a deeply rutted plain of white clay that can become impassable if it rains and is unpleasant when dry.

Will go with the Etanga.

Our Trip:

Purros CampSite-1 Day If you can make two nights at Puros, that would be good as there is plenty to see.

I have amended, thanks

AmsPoort -1 Day # Amspoort to Khowarib in the day is OK. Better to take the Ganamub after the poort, rather than the Hoanib as the driving conditions are horrible - deep fine dust.

Made a note on my map, thanks

Khowarib Campsite, SesFontein-1 Day Sesfontein has many mossies because of the springs.

Suppose we have to do the Malaria Meds and I don't do well on Malaria Meds
    Chris[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    imo trip a bit rushed, and some distances will be difficult to cover in one day, depending on road conditions.

Remember, our rain is late this year, so it seems, so many of the routes you want to travel may be wet out of season.
    Hi Walter

Thanks for the feedback.
    Should we not do Porcupine Camp to KRL in one day? Planning on taking the C35 and D3700

Thanks for all the feedback everyone Much appreciated!

Deirdre

Deirdre,

We never take anti-malarials, even on the Kunene or in the Caprivi. We do spray, and if mossies are about, we cover up at night - especially legs, ankles, feet and arms. Like you, we don't like the medication.

Malaria is more widespread in populated areas and, if after a couple of weeks you do, unfortunately, develop cold/flu symptoms, get a blood test immediately, the medication is effective. None of the conservation people that we know, and who work in the north, take anti-malarials and I only know one, who has had malaria. It is, however, your decision.

If you do take the meds, take them at night, after a meal, rather than in the morning - the worst of the effect is then in your sleep.

Chris

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    Deirdre,

We never take anti-malarials, even on the Kunene or in the Caprivi. We do spray, and if mossies are about, we cover up at night - especially legs, ankles, feet and arms. Like you, we don't like the medication.

Malaria is more widespread in populated areas and, if after a couple of weeks you do, unfortunately, develop cold/flu symptoms, get a blood test immediately, the medication is effective. None of the conservation people that we know, and who work in the north, take anti-malarials and I only know one, who has had malaria. It is, however, your decision.

If you do take the meds, take them at night, after a meal, rather than in the morning - the worst of the effect is then in your sleep.

Chris
    remember that - and if you have any flue like symptoms TELL your docter where you were and get tested !! The worst is if they treat you for normal flue, and the malaria gets a hold of you ....

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    Heinz, it's over 400km on not the best of roads, it is all possible, but you will be looking at a long and tiring drive.

Do you plan to skip twyfelfontein etc?

Personally I prefer shorter drives, more relaxing and more time around the campfire with a cold one and more time to explore the area.

But unfortunately longer distances now and then can not be avoided, especially in Nam.

Good advice from Chris, as always.
    Danke Walter!
    We have 3 nights planned but not booked for the Palmwag/Khowareb area. Perhaps camp either around Twyfelfontein first night or if enough time go as far as Palmwag. Then decide whether to do Khowareb for 2 nights.
    We are flexible and will definitely not push it as we will be towing and have 2 year olds in the car as well
    I prefer easy going........you only experience the bush when the engine is switched off
    Gruess

Rather try Alte Brucke in Swakop in stead of Sofiadale and +- 20km north of Okahandja on the B1 is a place called Omatozu Safaris (www.omatozu.com). Small campsite with private ablutions, swimming pool etc - on a game farm. Stayed there in December on our way to Etosha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballbearing Dyster View Post
    Danke Walter!
    We have 3 nights planned but not booked for the Palmwag/Khowareb area. Perhaps camp either around Twyfelfontein first night or if enough time go as far as Palmwag. Then decide whether to do Khowareb for 2 nights.
    We are flexible and will definitely not push it as we will be towing and have 2 year olds in the car as well
    I prefer easy going........you only experience the bush when the engine is switched off
    Gruess
    If you stay at the Khowarib camp, lodge or community, you will need to keep your youngsters on a short leash, as both camps are perched on the edge of cliffs overhanging the Hoanib - with no safety nets. As long as you are aware, and take the necessary precautions when you arrive, you will really enjoy either of the two camps.

Chris

Thanx for the heads up Chris!
    Will tie them to the towbar :-) no seriously, there are going to be a number of places where we will have to keep them close to our sides.
    I must say, its wonderful to see how much the little ones enjoy camping and overlanding trips!

Hi Walter

Thanks for the feedback.
    Should we not do Porcupine Camp to KRL in one day? Planning on taking the C35 and D3700

Thanks for all the feedback everyone Much appreciated!

Deirdre
    Should be fine, seeing as a lot of the driving will then be tar.

Just remember, the stretch from Ruacana to KRL can take up to 2 hours, depending on the condition of the road.

Have a great trip
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz

Consider my little town as a stopover on your way out - friendliest border post in Namibia.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=122355
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

How long will it take to drive from Epupa Falls to Marble Mine Campsite via Opuwo (D3703) (NOT via Van Zyl's)

When camping at Khowarib which one should we choose: camp, lodge or community ?

Heinz, remember to post your trip when you return! Especially the places you stayed over at. And let us know how the Miskruier behaved.

Deirdre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast