Gaborone Drinking Water





Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,288
    Thanked: 1251

    Default Gaborone Drinking Water

    I received this....

    Embassy of the United States of America
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Safety and Security Message for U.S. Citizens – Water Safety in Gaborone
    February 14, 2013

    The Embassy routinely performs water quality tests in the residences occupied by Embassy staff to ensure Gaborone’s water supply is safe. The most recent results indicate that unsafe levels of biological contaminants are present in the Gaborone water supply in five different neighborhoods. These contaminants render the water supply non-potable. The Embassy has already notified the Water Utilities Corporation and will stay in close contact with them as they investigate and try to remedy the situation.

    The Embassy has issued a Boiled Water Advisory for its personnel in the Gaborone area. We recommend all U.S. citizens in Gaborone boil all water intended for consumption. Boiling is an effective response because the disease-causing organisms found in Gaborone’s water supply are destroyed by heat. Keeping water at a high enough temperature for a sufficient duration will destroy the pathogens. Various boiling times are suggested, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends bringing water to a rolling boil for at least one minute (or for three minutes if you live 6,562 feet or more above sea level). If boiling isn’t practical, treatment with common household bleach is an alternative that is nearly as effective at disinfecting water. This document by the Environmental Protection Agency describes the process to follow when treating water by boiling or using bleach: http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/faq/pdfs/fs...water-2006.pdf. Please follow the guidance for disinfecting water using bleach carefully; using too much bleach or non-bleach alternatives can be dangerous.

    You can still bathe and wash your hands with water from the tap. The danger is in drinking it. You should be aware that water filters are not a substitute for boiling your water. Boiling is the most effective method for killing water-borne bacteria. You can read more about boiling tap water at: http://www.vdh.state.va.us/ODW/BoilingWaterFAQ.htm#8.


    The water tastes like MUD !
    Kobus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Palapye, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,239
    Thanked: 34

    Default

    Gaborone water has always been inferior to that of Serowe and Palapye. Swings and roundabouts... you guys get the best shops, restaurants etc and we get the better water quality

    Only fair really no?




    2014 Prado TX D4-D

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Capri Village, Western Cape
    Age
    40
    Posts
    800
    Thanked: 109

    Default

    In Maun you cant drink the water, not at all!

    Very poor water quality up here in Ngamiland!
    "THE PURPOSE OF LIVE IS TO BE HAPPY ." DALAI LAMA
    Rob
    Toyota Hilux Legend 50 2.8 DC 4x4
    VW T-Cross (Swambo's car)
    Conqueror Companion II
    Harley Davidson Dyna FATBOB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    42
    Posts
    519
    Thanked: 75

    Default

    So I must bring my water in my tanks from Cape town.......eish.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nelson Mandela Bay
    Age
    66
    Posts
    185
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Die goue reel is om altyd gebottelde water te drink as jy met vakansie is. Dis nie lekker om siek te word in 'n vreemde plek nie...en pasop vir die ys in jou drankie !!!!
    2006 Isuzu KB 300 LX 4x4 met ekstras vir die bos.

    Canon 5D mark 11 & Canon 7D.
    Kort tot lang Canon L lense vir elke natuur geleentheid.

    http://www.facebook.com/HanZZwiegers.../photos_albums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,693
    Thanked: 83

    Default

    Someone at WUC is getting there bum roasted...................................
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,693
    Thanked: 83

    Default

    WUC

    comments to the US embassy email.

    GABORONE WATER UNFIT TO DRINK ALLEGATIONS
    For Immediate Release

    Gaborone, February 15, 2013. The Water Utilities Corporation (WUC) is aware of reports alleging that the Gaborone water supply is unsafe to drink and advising the public to boil the water before drinking.

    The Corporation tests its water supply at different points in the distribution system regularly and in response to these allegations which reached the Corporation on the 14th of February 2013, WUC immediately carried out extra tests on its water supply in Gaborone and the results indicate that the water supply is safe to drink. The Corporation therefore reassures the public that its water supply in Gaborone and nationwide is safe to drink, even without prior boiling.

    It should be noted that the reports in question quote results of tests done in particular residencies on the 6th of February 2013.

    The Corporation has received the queries from these residencies and is working to get to the root cause of such water quality indications in the particular residencies.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,913
    Thanked: 1056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Mackay View Post
    Someone at WUC is getting there bum roasted...................................
    I hope so

    .........and add the Power Corp people at the same time for 3 power cuts in 2 hours, there is no loonger a response on the fault report phone line .
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,693
    Thanked: 83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    I hope so

    .........and add the Power Corp people at the same time for 3 power cuts in 2 hours, there is no loonger a response on the fault report phone line .
    200% agreed
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,913
    Thanked: 1056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Mackay View Post
    WUC

    comments to the US embassy email.

    GABORONE WATER UNFIT TO DRINK ALLEGATIONS
    For Immediate Release

    Gaborone, February 15, 2013. The Water Utilities Corporation (WUC) is aware of reports alleging that the Gaborone water supply is unsafe to drink and advising the public to boil the water before drinking.

    The Corporation tests its water supply at different points in the distribution system regularly and in response to these allegations which reached the Corporation on the 14th of February 2013, WUC immediately carried out extra tests on its water supply in Gaborone and the results indicate that the water supply is safe to drink. The Corporation therefore reassures the public that its water supply in Gaborone and nationwide is safe to drink, even without prior boiling.

    It should be noted that the reports in question quote results of tests done in particular residencies on the 6th of February 2013.

    The Corporation has received the queries from these residencies and is working to get to the root cause of such water quality indications in the particular residencies.
    Well, this sounds interesting, the release is based on test carried out on 06 Feb (released 15-Feb).
    The embassy has done tests on 14-Feb and found it unsafe.

    Arn't we fed stale info by the government and the contamination occurred after their last tests ?
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,693
    Thanked: 83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Well, this sounds interesting, the release is based on test carried out on 06 Feb (released 15-Feb).
    The embassy has done tests on 14-Feb and found it unsafe.

    Arn't we fed stale info by the government and the contamination occurred after their last tests ?
    Like I said someone is getting there bum roasted.......................
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,936
    Thanked: 1040

    Default

    I think water Affairs was better than WUC...

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,288
    Thanked: 1251

    Default

    Reviving an OLD thread....

    Our water from the tap.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kobus

Similar Threads

  1. Clean drinking water
    By Jolly Green Giant in forum Camping, Fridges, Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2012/05/03, 09:06 AM
  2. Drinking water
    By HermanvdW in forum Lesotho
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2012/04/12, 05:42 AM
  3. Instant hot water.
    By Andre in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2010/03/04, 07:16 PM
  4. Safe Water
    By Gaitshi Gubib in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2010/01/06, 09:33 AM
  5. Kortbroek kramp in die........
    By TopHilux Hilton in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2008/03/05, 03:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •