Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What if I dont turn left. Say I go strait. Then I'm going to T-bone that idjit!

The guy from opposite must yield till I have finished MY hair-brained move, because he is crossing MY lane!

No, it doesnt matter if my indicator is on. Most drivers have no idea how to use it correctly in any case. You wait to see what is going on.

This does not preclude an unspoken gentlemen's agreement to improve the traffic flow, but the person from opposite has no right to force his way...
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

this morning

maybe not relevant to this thread
    but makes you think

.........................and he turns right
    Attached Files Attached Files

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    this morning

maybe not relevant to this thread
    but makes you think

.........................and he turns right
    Did he turn into the minor access road parallel to the busy street? Then he should've gone around you!
    There is only one...

yes

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post

The guy from opposite must yield till I have finished MY hair-brained move, because he is crossing MY lane!

No, it doesnt matter if my indicator is on. Most drivers have no idea how to use it correctly in any case. You wait to see what is going on.

This does not preclude an unspoken gentlemen's agreement to improve the traffic flow, but the person from opposite has no right to force his way...
    Thats what I also thought. But all these years I have been wrong. But I must say that the law is really not very clear on this issue

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    yes
    The scary part is that he might have cut that corner, in part, to save you time by staying out of your way. I wish people would just stick to the rules and do what's expected of them in traffic.
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by jplab View Post
    +1

All the housewives of PTA East with the LC200 mall crawlers should subscribe to the I'llturnacrosslanesandsmashyou club.
    That club should also be expanded to the "lang slap" platkarre in PTA east as well.
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 HO LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfus View Post
    Thats what I also thought. But all these years I have been wrong. But I must say that the law is really not very clear on this issue

the law states that if you turn left, you put on left indicator and you get to the left of the road you are in before turning (so traffic can pass you on the right while you slow), and you then keep to the left of the road way you turn into.

If you are turning right you turn on right indicator, move to the right hand side of the road you are in (i.e. just to the left of the lane divide) so that traffic can pass you on your left while you execute the maneuver, you then turn into the road and remain just to the left of the road centre divide (i.e. all the way right of the road)

this is all theoretical as pointed out, If people would just get to the bloody right when turning right my blood pressure would stay lower, never mind have some lane sense.

most major intersections actually have lanes painted across them to point those too dumb to work it out in the direction of where they should go while turning. and even then you get the "peering over the top of the steering wheel, couldn' give a poo anyway and have no idea of anything going on around me anyway" types who manage to drift over towards you.

the object of the rules of the road is to keep traffic flowing as freely as possible, actually it's all just manners - call it a gentleman's agreement if you will, it's common courtesy which should be present when sharing a space with others, not just on the roads.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2013/02/13 at 01:35 PM.

no, he is not. if you are turning left your lane is the left lane of the road you are in, and carries on as the left lane of the road you turn into - he never crosses your lane.

if you are not turning your lane is the lane you are in, and he is then crossing it to turn right and must yield to you.

it's just normal and REALLY easy to understand

in theory...

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    no, he is not. if you are turning left your lane is the left lane of the road you are in, and carries on as the left lane of the road you turn into - he never crosses your lane.

i
    Apoc, this is from a single lane to a double lane, not double to double.

What if I want to turn right at the next intersection after that left turn??

Smile

If you're turning left out of a double-lane street into a double-lane street (from which double-lane left-turning is permitted) it's even more critical that you should stay in your lane, since there might be someone else next to you who is also turning left. The driver turning right out of the street opposite to yours into the same street as you only has to yield to traffic turning into the lane closest to him, ie the right-hand lane, but it only makes sense that you should both be aware of each other and keep to your lanes accordingly.

Edit: Sorry, daft misinterpretation...
    Last edited by stadleroux; 2013/02/14 at 02:08 PM.
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    There is nothing in the NRTA about it specifically, but it's about remaining in lane. EDIT - see note and section covering this below.

generally speaking if you are in the right most lane and you are to turn in to the right most lane of the road you are turning into.

if there are 2 right hand lanes then obviously the guy in the right most lane heads for the right most lane, and the guy to his left heads for the lane to the left of that.

if there are people turning left from the opposite direction they actually have right of way over people turning right into the same road, UNLESS there is a yield sign on the left turn...

and again, if you are turning left into a road, you should turn from the left most lane of the first road into the left most lane of the next road, unless there are 2 left lanes, in which case the left guy takes the left lane and the guy to his right takes the lane to the right.
    So he can turn left, right?
    '11 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unltd.

then you have to turn left, keep left, change lanes to the right hand lane like normal and turn right from there!

Quote Originally Posted by KillOgre View Post
    So he can turn left, right?
    right. I don't think I left anything out!

I had to read each post 2 times to make sure I understand who is coming from which side and turn into which lane.

try writing them!!!

but it's pretty easy.

if you are turning left, you keep to the left, turning right, you keep to the right.

Once you have turned into a new road the usual lane ettiquette is then applied. just because you turned doesn't mean you suddenly have right of way over the whole road for some period of time, all the rules apply all the time!

I nearly failed my licence because I was turning right and another car left and I started moving before the other car had completed his turn. I was told that the car turning left was considered oncoming traffic until he had completed his turn.

I have had it quite a few times that I am the one turning 'Right' and the ahole that is turning left suddenly has to swerve hard to keep their vehicle in the left lane. When I have been queried about this my very simple answer is "Just how many lanes do you think you are entitled to? A raised body Hilux, in Super Red ii also helps being noticed.

The real tragedy is that "good manners" have gone out of the window to replaced by "RIGHTS" and now we have a fight on our hands instead of consideration for others.
    As far as indicators are concerned - how do we handle the Mercs and BM's that have automatic indicators which only indicate when the steering wheel is turned!!!!
    Enjoy your driving and Oppas vir die ander Ou.

Quote Originally Posted by NMunday View Post
    I nearly failed my licence because I was turning right and another car left and I started moving before the other car had completed his turn. I was told that the car turning left was considered oncoming traffic until he had completed his turn.
    Interesting - so one can't 'merge' with the traffic then even if you keep to the right hand lane? And if there are a whole queue of vehicles turning left when can you start moving to do your right hand turn?

Another issue is drivers still entering a crossing when lights go amber leaving cars waiting in the intersection high and dry. Isn't one of the reasons for amber to 'clear' the intersection? (Not talking about cars that were e.g. just in front of the lines, but I am referring to those who are faaaar away but still keep coming (somtimes at a great speed!) leaving you exposed.)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2013/02/18 at 10:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast