Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What does the law say? (Traffic)

When turning left from a two lane road, into a 4 lane road at a traffic light, does the guy on the opposite side have the right to turn into the inside lane of the 4 lane road infront of you?
    In other words the road you are turning out of has two lanes, one for traffic in and one for traffic out. And the 4 lane road has 2 lanes for traffic the one way and 2 for traffic the other way.

According to me, you have the right of way into any one of the lanes. Please help!!!

There is nothing in the NRTA about it specifically, but it's about remaining in lane. EDIT - see note and section covering this below.

generally speaking if you are in the right most lane and you are to turn in to the right most lane of the road you are turning into.

if there are 2 right hand lanes then obviously the guy in the right most lane heads for the right most lane, and the guy to his left heads for the lane to the left of that.

if there are people turning left from the opposite direction they actually have right of way over people turning right into the same road, UNLESS there is a yield sign on the left turn...

and again, if you are turning left into a road, you should turn from the left most lane of the first road into the left most lane of the next road, unless there are 2 left lanes, in which case the left guy takes the left lane and the guy to his right takes the lane to the right.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2013/02/13 at 09:19 AM.

and...

here is the actual regulation on it. I thought there was one. missed it, sorry.

basically, you must keep to the left when turning left into a road, and keep the the right when turning right into a road as I said above...

National Road Traffic Act, 1996
    National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
    Chapter X : Rules of the road and matters relating thereto
    Part I : Rules of the road
    302. Procedure when turning

1) The driver of a vehicle on a public road who desires to turn to the left shall, having due regard to the provisions of regulation 301, before reaching the point at which he or she intends to turn, indicate, in the manner prescribed in these regulations, his or her intention to turn and shall steer his vehicle as near to the left side of the roadway on which he or she is travelling as circumstances may permit and shall make such turn with due care and merge into such traffic stream as may at the time be proceeding along, towards or into the public road into which he desires to turn.
    2) The driver of a vehicle on a public road who desires to turn to right shall, having due regard to the provisions of regulation 301, before reaching the point at which he or she intends to turn, indicate in the manner prescribed in these regulations, his or her intention to turn and shall not effect such turning unless he or she can do so without obstructing or endangering other traffic and –
    a) if he or she is driving a vehicle on the roadway of a public road which roadway is intended for traffic in both directions –
    i) he or she shall steer such vehicle as near as circumstances may permit to the immediate left of the middle of the roadway on which he or she is travelling; and
    ii) where the turn is at an intersection, he or she shall not encroach on the right half of the roadway into or out of which he or she intends to turn, except in the intersection itself, but shall in any event pass to the left of any traffic island in such intersection or comply with the direction conveyed by any appropriate road traffic sign; or
    b) if he or she is driving a vehicle on a roadway of a public road where such roadway is intended for traffic in only one direction –
    i) he or she shall steer such vehicle as near as circumstances permit to the right side of such roadway; and
    ii) where the turn is at an intersection he or she shall not encroach on the right half of the roadway into which he or she intends to turn, except in the intersection itself but shall in any event pass to the left of any traffic island in such intersection or comply with the direction conveyed by an appropriate road traffic sign: Provided that where such turn is to be made into a roadway intended for traffic in only one direction, he or she may encroach on the right half of that roadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    There is nothing in the NRTA about it specifically, but it's about remaining in lane.

generally speaking if you are in the right most lane and you are to turn in to the right most lane of the road you are turning into.

if there are 2 right hand lanes then obviously the guy in the right most lane heads for the right most lane, and the guy to his left heads for the lane to the left of that.

if there are people turning left from the opposite direction they actually have right of way over people turning right into the same road, UNLESS there is a yield sign on the left turn...

and again, if you are turning left into a road, you should turn from the left most lane of the first road into the left most lane of the next road, unless there are 2 left lanes, in which case the left guy takes the left lane and the guy to his right takes the lane to the right.
    Exactly. Now try and teach the people of Gauteng this trick. They are going out of their way to smash into me whenever this scenario is played out. I realised quickly that you must always expect the idiot next to you in the left lane to just turn short to end up in the right hand lane. Happens 9/10 times in Pretoria.
    HENK

so basically, if you are turning left into a 2 lane road you MUST keep to your left, and turn into the left lane. a guy coming the other way and turning right into the same road should be heading for the right hand lane of that road.

if there are 2 lanes you can both turn into the road at the same time, and the guy turning left does not have right of way into the right lane, nor does the guy turning right have right of way into the left lane.

If you want to get into the right lane after turning left, you must turn left into the left lane, then change lanes into the right hand lane as you would normally...

Sort of got it, but must the opposite drivers, the guys turning right, not give way to the guys turning left. Do they not have to wait/ give way

As with traffic circles and non-working traffic lights, this principle is too complicated for most South Africans If you turn left, you need to go into the left lane. A vehicle coming from the front has the right to turn into the right hand side lane.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfus View Post
    Sort of got it, but must the opposite drivers, the guys turning right, not give way to the guys turning left. Do they not have to wait/ give way
    If it's single lane into single lane the driver turning left has right of way over a driver turning right UNLESS there is a yield at the left turn.

if it's a single left into a two lane road, the guy turning left has right of way into the left lane only, the guy turning right from the oncoming lane has right of way into the right lane only.

EDIT - if there are 2 right hand lanes into a 2 lane road there would USUALLY be a yield for anyone turning left into the same road. In the event that there isn't then the guy turning right from the right most lane has right of way into the right lane. the guy to his left would then be obliged to head for the left lane of the 'new' road.

in this case the guy turning left into that road would have right of way into the left lane (provided there is no yield sign for the guy turning left...
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2013/02/13 at 08:57 AM.

Andrew, your talking about all the new turns and lanes at the mall?
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    *SOLD*2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual
    *SOLD* 2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE

Quote Originally Posted by JohanVisser View Post
    Andrew, your talking about all the new turns and lanes at the mall?
    Sheesh, are you telling me that Andrew went from Land Rover driver to mall cruiser?

Jimnys are very capable offroad you know! they deserve better than a mall!!!

PS.

you will notice that, when driving a wrangler or Defender (or suitable large SUV) you have a lot more right of way than you do in a Jimny

Think of it like dwarf tossing.

if i'm a guy turning right i give a way to guy turning left,for a reason of that "i guess" there is no law or if there is one how to prove he change his mind half way trough junction and goes straight.
    saying this from experience.

PS.

you will notice that, when driving a wrangler or Defender (or suitable large SUV) you have a lot more right of way than you do in a Jimny

Think of it like dwarf tossing.
    Alex, you should not toss dwarfes, it could impact on how your sexuality is veiwed.....

But thanks for the information. I had the wrong veiwpoint.

Johan, I'm talking about the turn from Sellypark and Mountainveiw.... Almost got taken out a few times now. (Even in Martha, Alex)

Alex, you should not toss dwarfes, it could impact on how your sexuality is veiwed.....

Johan, I'm talking about the turn from Sellypark and Mountainveiw.... Almost got taken out a few times now. (Even in Martha, Alex)

hehe.

takes a big hobbit to admit he's wrong.

hehe.

takes a big hobbit to admit he's wrong.
    Its the hairy feet. Its a humbling feature (sic)

Best advice. At these intersections, expect the unexpected and prepare for the worst.
    HENK

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Best advice. At these intersections, expect the unexpected and prepare for the worst.
    like any good boyscout.

Rock Sliders, front and rear steel bullbars and nice big robust tyres is being called being prepared.

but it is amazing how many people will STILL try to force their way over on a turn or something like that.

and it is amazing how much more it happens when you are in a smaller vehicle.

+1 With that attitude you'll never be involved in accident. Think on behalf of the other people on the road (since some of them can't...)
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Sheesh, are you telling me that Andrew went from Land Rover driver to mall cruiser?

Jimnys are very capable offroad you know! they deserve better than a mall!!!

okay, That area is not for the faint of heart. And yes, usually the Bigger car has right of way there.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    *SOLD*2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual
    *SOLD* 2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE

Exactly. Now try and teach the people of Gauteng this trick. They are going out of their way to smash into me whenever this scenario is played out. Happens 9/10 times in Pretoria.
    +1

All the housewives of PTA East with the LC200 mall crawlers should subscribe to the I'llturnacrosslanesandsmashyou club.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast