2009 Discovery 3 -blown engine 89000km !! - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

How did the engine fail?
    Did it overheat?

I think the OP has PC problems too. Many unanswered questions so far.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Thispost by Mojito will make all feel better...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojito View Post
    Land Rover sneaked into the top 10 - NICE!!!

http://motoring.iafrica.com/features/836833.html

German reliability is not as strong as many believe, according to Warranty Direct, who found Audi, BMW and Volkswagen to have some of the least reliable engines in their cars.

The British supplier of direct consumer warranties studied data from 50 000 live consumer policies which showed that the only engines to have failed more often than Audis in the past year were those from the now defunct MG Rover group, while the BMW-owned Mini finished a disappointing third from bottom. BMW and Volkswagen featured seventh and ninth respectively in the powerplant scale of shame.

At the top end of the table, Japan took the plaudits as Honda and Toyota proved to be the manufacturers with the most reliable power units, while Mercedes-Benz upheld some German honour by taking the third best accolade.

Engine repairs can be some of the most expensive to hit a driver and, amongst Warranty Direct's customers, one in 13 MG Rover motors failed in the past year, while one in 27 Audi owners had issues with theirs. At the opposite end of the scale, just one in every 345 Honda owners had a problem with their power unit.

Warranty Direct Managing Director Duncan McClure Fisher said of the study: "Engine failures are the biggest fear for any motorist as they're the ones that can lead to the most astronomical costs because of the parts and hours or labour required to fix them. The number of failures may be low compared to areas such as axle and suspension damage, but engine repairs almost always result in costs reaching the thousands [of pounds] for motorists who aren't covered by a warranty."

Engine Reliability - Bottom 10

1 MG Rover - 7.88 percent failure rate
    2 Audi - 3.71 percent failure rate
    3 Mini - 2.51 percent failure rate
    4 Saab - 2.49 percent failure rate
    5 Vauxhall (Opel) - 2.46 percent failure rate
    6 Peugeot - 2.26 percent failure rate
    7 BMW - 2.20 percent failure rate
    8 Renault - 2.13 percent failure rate
    9 Volkswagen - 1.91 percent failure rate
    10 Mitsubishi - 1.70 percent failure rate

Engine Reliability - Top 10

1 Honda - 0.29 percent failure rate
    2 Toyota - 0.58 percent failure rate
    3 Mercedes-Benz - 0.84 percent failure rate
    4 Volvo - 0.90 percent failure rate
    5 Jaguar - 0.98 percent failure rate
    6 Lexus - 0.99 percent failure rate
    7 Fiat - 1.17 percent failure rate
    8 Ford - 1.25 percent failure rate
    9 Nissan - 1.32 percent failure rate
    10 Land Rover - 1.38 percent failure rate

I don't think you guys should over react here. There are literally thousands of D3 Landies driving around all over South Africa and millions driving around all over the world. The bearing issues on the D3 are well documented and the solutions are also very well documented. The failure of a peripheral component can often lead to engine failure eg a cam belt breaking causing a poked head etc. In many of these cases the engine manufacture gets blamed for one of these failures etc etc.

The D3 including the TDV6 has proved itself to be an excellent ride and has a very good reliability reputation. Sure some break but them some BM's break, some Jeep's break some Toyotas break and so on and so on.

This forum highlights the breakages as members here discuss them here on the forum. Whilst I do not know this for fact, I am willing to bet that if you added up the D3 TDV6's belonging to members on the forum (which is a very small sample) you will NOT get a figure showing high failure rates at all. The percentages of failures per 100 vehicles will probably not be more or less than any other makes. The D3 TDV6 is NOT an unreliable monster waiting to drop you and your family at a moments notice.

I am extremely sorry for the OP, I would plutz if ANY car blew up at 89 000km no matter what make. I hope he can get some assistance and get his ride going again. If not I hope we can all help him in some way. In the meantime lets not trash the D3 before we know how this actually happened.

Just my 10c worth.
    Jeep, there is only one.

+1
    Life's too short to drive boring...
    -------------------------------------
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (iNyathi)
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Pepper)
    1994 Pajero 3.0 V6 (Ruby)

+ 10000
    Cruiser 76 V8
    Disco 4 XS

Kev you are a voice of reason. Thanks

Nice cars indeed. Only problem when there is a failure it is very expensive. Only reason I don't consider. D4D engine much cheaper to repair.
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

can you drive these modern vehicles broken. surely with all the computer stuff, you have cut off's etc to protect the engine?
    I also agree, that people do not 'run in' engines anymore. It come's already 'run in' as we are told. But I am old school and believe any engine should be run, for how long I don't know. My vehicle is on 123 000km and I am still running it in (more a fuel saving thing). Irrespective of how reliable the V8 is, I will always drive it nicely, I need it to last a couple of years. If you buy any car new, under warranty with intent of only keeping it for 3 years, you will trap it. I surely will. and then someone else buys it second hand and it bombs on them. This is a general comment, not referring to the thread starter.
    Die Hard
    "When all else fails, use brute strength & ignorance"
    2005 Disco 3. V8 SE
    1996 Disco 1. 3,9 V8 Manual (Sold)
    1994 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 (Sadly Sold)
    2000 Lada Niva (was loads of fun)
    2004 Renault Megane (Swambo)
    2005 Scott road bike (work commuter)
    2011 Merida 120 (weekend MTB, sadly stolen)
    2014 Specialized Epic 29er (MTB)
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 (road)

Hi guys

last year I assisted Peter (TGWInduna) to get to the bottom of these PSA motor failures.

The vast majority of these engine failures can be attributed to insufficient lubrication during cold start ups. The longer the intervals between these cold start-ups (weekend or holiday cars), the more severe the impact of this phenomenon.

As the 2.7lt PSA motor is fitted with crush-fit big end bearings (they have no tabs to hold them in place) they are prone to rotate and in time will suffer from accelerated wear. This then results in a drop of oil pressure until eventually the motor seizes.

Together with Peter we have come up with a preventative measure to protect these engines from premature failure:

1. Oil analysis to establish current health of engine

2. Peter then treats these engines with some muti to prevent cold start up lubrication related failure.

3. Subsequent oil analysis show a substantial reduction in harmful particle count.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
    I also agree, that people do not 'run in' engines anymore. It come's already 'run in' as we are told.
    My D3 had a section in the manual regarding "running in" and the D4 has a section as well. Iam a firm believer in running the whole vehicle in.

RUNNING-IN
    The engine, gearbox, tyres and brakes need
    time to bed-in. During the first 800 km (500
    miles) it is essential that the vehicle is driven
    with consideration for the running-in process.
    During this period adhere to the following
    advice:
    • Limit the engine speed to a maximum of
    3 000 rpm and the road speed to a
    maximum of 110 km/h (68 mph).
    • Do not use full accelerator pedal travel and
    use the gears to avoid over-revving or
    labouring the engine.
    • Do not use sport mode during the
    running-in period.
    • Avoid rapid acceleration and heavy braking
    wherever possible.

@PSC, i would have thought so.

I wonder how many people actually adhere to that. It is not even difficult. it is no where close to the early 80's where it was common to see a vehicle after an overhaul driving on the side with a board on the back saying, 'running in'.

That is a critical stage, and I don't think it is observed. I saw dealers taking these new vehicles on 'crazy' test drives. 'demo' model. My brother bought a demo model fiesta ST and the gearbox and engine both had to be changed before 70 000km, I"m dead sure that vehicle was abused on joy rides
    Die Hard
    2005 Disco 3. V8 SE

I believe the motors are now built with closer tolerances therefor less running in is required, however I have always treated the first 2500 kms as a running in period and then up to 5000kms of easy driving.
    On my Defender I also insisted on an oil change after the first 5000kms much to LR disgust.

I not technical enough to know if this is correct but i figure it cant do any harm.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Bruce T, I would do the same. we invest alot in out vehicles, it is looking after our investment
    Die Hard
    2005 Disco 3. V8 SE

Agree 100%

Current: AMAROK BITDI 4MOTION
    Ex: HILUX D4D 4x4 DC
    EX: Land Rover D3 TDV6 SE
    EX: Land Rover Defender 110 300 Tdi
    EX: Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 LWB V6 Blister
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Baviaans, Richtersveld, Tankwa Karoo, Kgalagadi, Botswana, Addo, West Coast, Southern Namibia

Quote Originally Posted by McD23 View Post
    Hi All,
    I need your advice and experience please.
    My 2009 Discovery 3 SE with 89000km on the clock ( bought new) fully serviced and maintained by Landrover Dealership engine blew last week, 3 months out of warranty.
    They have quoted me R130 000 to replace/repair !
    I intend pursuing this matter agressivley with LRSA, and here I would appreciate any advice on how to leverage the best repsonse from them!
    I am sure there are some hubbers that have had dealings with them and can impart some sound advice as how best to handle them.
    Thank you in advance..
    Hi McD23
    Please PM me your email addy and I will send you all the paperwork on how to go about a claim from JLR here and the UK.

Take Care

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Take Care
    You too .....

Good to see you are back

Hi guys

running in a new motor is not as critical as it was 40 years ago. There are two main reasons for this:

1. Better tolerances and better metal alloys used in todays engines

2. Vastly superior oils available today.

Nowadays I run in new (rebuilt) engines as follows:

In summer:

1. Fill up with a stock standard SAE30 oil and run to 500km, then a full oil and filter change. Here do not exceed 3000rpm

2. Fill up with a standard 20W50 oil and run to around 2500km without exceeding 4000rpm NB naturally with the engine properly warmed up.

3. At 2500km do a further oil change and switch now to the recommended oil and run to around 7500km.

After that adhere to the normal oil and filter changes, but not exceeding 12000km.

This will give you many trouble free years of service from that "new" engine.

After 10'000km on a petrol engine and 20'000km on a diesel engine, treat it with Poly-TFE and rest assured, that the dreaded cold start wear and tear has bee taken care of.

In Gauteng you can have this treatment done at:

Landyworx in Randburg,

Landyonline in Muldersdrift

Landyluvver in Springs

For other areas, send me a pm.

Good luck!
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2013/02/08 at 10:29 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Hi

How long ago was it serviced? Did you check your enjin oil level recently? Your turbo could have leaked all your enjin oil over a period. That is the main cause for these enjins to seize. Don't they run with Peugeot enjins?
    Abri

2013 Disco 4 TDV6 SE

George
    re "After 10'000km on a petrol engine and 20'000km on a diesel engine, treat it with Poly-TFE and rest assured, that the dreaded cold start wear and tear has bee taken care of."
    i dont quite agree with polytetrafluorethylene. Reason being, a guy i used to know if the petroleum industry , who said he can have any type of oil made to order to suit your requirements , said that PTFE was not good for engines. Its has shearing action. In other words, he explained that ptfe when coated on to metal with heat, would shear off small flakes which could block the oild pump and filter. When you use your frying pan that is coated with teflon, if you scratched a knife along the coating,it would be able to come of like bits of skin that peeled.
    Gear boxes i believe you can use it, as they dont have a scraping effect within, not those with wet clutches though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast