Discovery 3 drive train

Thread: drive train

Default drive train

Greetings to All, I would appreciate if someone can assist me with some recommendations or possible cause of the following problems.
    1. It sound if the front diff is singing, could this related to the tyre road noise?
    2. Sometimes specially driving in town and turns 90 degrees it sound and feel if all wheels are in diff lock mode due to the noise vibration experienced.
    3. On gravel road it sounds if the front rubbers of the front shocks are worn due to “clack”! when going through a pot hole or humps.
    Many thx
    Gert
    Last edited by Gert Buitendag; 2013/02/02 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Add 3rd point

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Buitendag View Post
    Greetings to All, I would appreciate if someone can assist me with some recommendations or possible cause of the following problems.
    1. It sound if the front diff is singing, could this related to the tyre road noise?
    2. Sometimes specially driving in town and turns 90 degrees it sound and feel if all wheels are in diff lock mode due to the noise vibration experienced.
    3. On gravel road it sounds if the front rubbers of the front shocks are worn due to “clack”! when going through a pot hole or humps.
    Many thx
    Gert
    Gert,

I have not experienced this on my D3 as yet. I am sure that someone will be popping in shortly to assist.

I am also making notes!

Smoke a pipe and chill

Dankie Jean, Die disco het nou 106 000km op die klok, indien dit sal help. G

Many thx
    Gert
    Hi Gert

Enlighten me! what year model Disco 3?

Is this a high pitch whine ? If it was the diff then when you take your foot off the accelerator the noise should go away, infact you could play a tune with it using the pedal. DIFF carrier bearings most likely depending on the Model Year 2005,2006 and early 2007 the paint used to coat the inner pumkin housing delaminates and chips tangle up with the left and right carrier bearings and pinion bearing. Not too expensive to repair and parts are easily available. Worst case sceanario Crown wheel and pinion gear tooth pattern wear cause by failed pinion bearing and pinoin gear movement. Whole Diff needs to be replaced and is expensive. This normaly presents itself with a very loud whine and gets louder.

This is the bitch! The tranfer box clutches are slipping or the the chain is jumping the sprockets. The clutch slipping problem can be resolved by replacing the transfer box oil from LR and a red sausage of Dr tranny fix, in some case this methode has been very successful but not guaranteed. In the case of the chain jumping, this requires a transfer box overhaul and is very expensive, new chain and sprocket drive needs to be replaced.

Control arm bushes and or steering rack ends. You can have the control arms re-bushed and ball jointed or you can replace the whole control arms, the former cheaper than the latter.

How long have you had this car for. If you have just recently purchased it from a recognised used car dealership within the last six months than all of this is covered by the CPA.

Take Care

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)

Peter Street

Many thx for your comments. The disco is a 2009 se model. I bought the disco about a year ago with no problems. It had its last major service on 96 000 km and no major problems was detected. The only major thing was the replacement of all discs and disc brakes.

Wrt the diff noise it’s not a high pitch whine! I will check what happened when I take my foot off the accelerator.

“The bitch” when it happens after switch the disco off and restart the problem is gone. I don’t know if it’s my imagination but this only happened after I washed the engine. I must say I had my disco 2 td5 face lift for 10 years with 188 000 km and didn’t experienced such degree of problems.

Wrt the bushes I will check. I trust that you don’t need to by the original parts!!

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Regards
    G

“The bitch” when it happens after switch the disco off and restart the problem is gone. I don’t know if it’s my imagination but this only happened after I washed the engine.
    Transfer box control ECU is behind the battery (against the Firewall) (along with the engine ECU) - good chance that you may have got water there

Hi Guys,

I trust that you are all well! Thought I Let you know what the outcome was after I took my vehicle to LR dealer.
    1. Font diff nothing wrong.
    2. Back diff sound and feel if all wheels are in diff lock mode. Rear diff motor needs replacement.
    3. Sounds if the front rubbers of the front shocks are worn due to “clack”! Front bushes and ball joints and steering rack ends needs replacement.

Take Care and regards
    G

The dealers are going to charge you arms and legs. Take it to a good indy. The locker motor can be overhauled. Also dont buy the parts from the dealers.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored