Prado 120 shocks

Question Prado 120 shocks

Anyone had experience with gabriel safari hdp shocks on a prado or any vehicle for that matter?

Whats the ride quality like with these shocks on and off road and are they suited for 90% road and 10% dirt road and light offroad?

Default Sorry

Sorry. I can only talk OME. What is your plans?

Thumbs up Gabriel HDP

Well decided to go with the Gabriel HDP, fitted the rear myself today and will do the front later this week once my lower control arm bushes are replaced, the bloody agents will hopefully does this for me ......free...

The ride so far feels very smooth on the backend, maybe cause my old shocks were stuffed, so very happy at the moment.

Smile Koni shocks for Prado

Just as a matter of interest, spoke to a guy Steve from Koni and the price of a complete set of shocks for the Prado was R7400.

Rear set of HDP's for Prado were R2800.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootzn View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, spoke to a guy Steve from Koni and the price of a complete set of shocks for the Prado was R7400.

Rear set of HDP's for Prado were R2800.
    and the front in HDP?
    I recently bought my Prado and have a vibration on the steering that appears to come from the left backside. When I bought it the dealer fitted 2 new front tyres so maybe the back ones are only out of balance or have a flat spot.

My plan is to replace the back tyres as well and do alignment and balancing on all 4 wheels again and if the problem persists, I'll replace the shocks as well. So just need to plan for in case.

Thumbs up

BigfootZN

Sory i missed the start of this thread! You wont go wrong with HDP's!!

I did consumer testing on the HDP's for 6 months before they were launched. I have them on my Hilux and must say they are excelent!

The Prodo uses different Rear Dampners than the Hilux, BUT the fronts are exactly the same! The nice thing about the HDP is they are Hight adjustable, so you can get a lift in front if you want.

The springseat has 5 diffent seat levels about 10mm apart. 10mm on the shock will result in a 18mm lift! The prado nutral setting is 1 that will give you no lift Go up from there as you want! you can alwas readjust later if you want to go up or down, but that will mean takeing of the shock completely compressing the spring and readjust the seat so think about it before you do.

Part of my testing entailed 5 adjustments to the shock level and every time it takes aprox 2 hours and wheelalingment

IRC the front and rear shocks are all about R1400 each so prepair for another R2800 for the front!

Offroad Adict also installed HDP under testing on his datsun and is also very happy with them and the service supplied by Control Instuments!

Another nice thing about HDP's is the warantee! UNLIMITED km and (i think) 3 years. Better than most other makes!
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CoenraadB View Post
    BigfootZN

Sory i missed the start of this thread! You wont go wrong with HDP's!!

I did consumer testing on the HDP's for 6 months before they were launched. I have them on my Hilux and must say they are excelent!

The Prodo uses different Rear Dampners than the Hilux, BUT the fronts are exactly the same! The nice thing about the HDP is they are Hight adjustable, so you can get a lift in front if you want.

The springseat has 5 diffent seat levels about 10mm apart. 10mm on the shock will result in a 18mm lift! The prado nutral setting is 1 that will give you no lift Go up from there as you want! you can alwas readjust later if you want to go up or down, but that will mean takeing of the shock completely compressing the spring and readjust the seat so think about it before you do.

Part of my testing entailed 5 adjustments to the shock level and every time it takes aprox 2 hours and wheelalingment

IRC the front and rear shocks are all about R1400 each so prepair for another R2800 for the front!

Offroad Adict also installed HDP under testing on his datsun and is also very happy with them and the service supplied by Control Instuments!

Another nice thing about HDP's is the warantee! UNLIMITED km and (i think) 3 years. Better than most other makes!
    Excellent, thanks for the feedback! Should hopefully have everything sorted by next week.

Hi Bigfoodzn,

I am in the process to replace my shocks on Prado 120,
    would appreciate feedback on the Gabriel HDP regarding ride comfort and performance so far.

Thanks.

Hi Bigfoodzn, have you fitted the HDPs yet? I am also planning on fitting them but would like to know what your experiences are with them please?

Default Prado Shocks

I have replaced the old shocks with the HDP's. The ride is a bit harder than with the old one's. But I suppose the old one's had it's time after 8 years.
    Paid R 6400.00 fitted with wheel balancing and aligment. Still need to test it off road

Toyota Prado 4.0
    Toyota RunX
    BushLapa 357

Hi Leon, thanks for the feedback. When you say a bit harder is it uncomfortably harder compared to other type of SUVs? What tyre pressure are you running at currently? Thanks

Hi Leon
    What type of lift did the new shocks provide, if any?

Currently I ride with 2.1 bar on all 4 wheels and yes it is a bit more bouncey especially on the rear. But I won't say uncomfortable. Someone else on the forum said he is riding with 2.0 bar and it is the sweet spot witht he HDP's. The vehicle do feel a lot more stable and sure footed and no more nose dive when braking hard. So if it is of any use my wife has not said anything since the new shocks. But i think the real value of the shocks will be when you hit the dirt.
    I have put the front shocks on the 3rd setting up and that gave me 30mm lift in the front but the back there was no change. The car is now more or less level.

Toyota Prado 4.0
    Toyota RunX
    BushLapa 357

Thanks Leon, I am getting the HDPs fitted with spacers on Friday, will also give you guys feedback. There are so many choices on the market and it is a bit difficult to decide.

Okay so far quite happy with the HDPs, great comfort and stability, no more nose dive when braking and you can also adjust coil rings to soft, intermediate and hard ride, with 25mm spacers it gave a total of 45mm lift in front, rear only 5mm lift, however supa quick stuffed up a bit on rear installation and my prado now looks as if it is overloaded, but they will sort it out next week Saturday. Does anyone know if spacers / longer coils should be installed for rear coils to also get a 45mm lift? Not sure what the correct way would be?