Ckgr end of March(wet season)?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ckgr end of March(wet season)?

Hi everyone. I have never been to ckgr and would like to know how the conditions are when wet. I plan to go end of March 2013 but I am a bit concern after the heavy rains recently in CKGR. We are 2 vehicles one with a conqueror commander- hilux d4d and the other with a echo 4 -cruiser 76.
    Francois

Hi Francois.

It is definately going to be wet and muddy at the end of March but this is arguably the best time for game viewing in CKGR. Many have done it at this time of year and will continue to do so. Take comfort from the fact that you are in 2 capable vehicles and that there will be others on the main roads who can help if need be. Perhaps take a sat. phone for safety's sake. Get the phone no at Matswere gate, if need be they will pull you out with a tractor, apparently.

The fact that you are towing is the biggest potential problem, but many have done it at this time of the year. Make sure you have full recovery gear and that you know how to recover your trailers. Also do not do the loops off the main routes when towing.

The particularly sticky areas are the loops around Deception Valley and Piper Pan where there is plenty of black cotton soil. Most of the main roads are sandier except around Passarge Pan perhaps.

Certainly when we were there in April 2011 there were vehicles towing off-road caravans successfully. Have a look at my report at http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=83984, it may be helpful.

Although a few weeks later than your trip it was still raining plenty and conditions will not have changed too much in 2 years. I think if you provide more details on exactly where in the park you plan to drive you should obtain more specific advice.

Stan.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thank you for detailed reply Stan. We will enter ckgr at Maswere then camp at deception pan, motopi and Passage pan so far and then go south and exit at Xade and go down on the cutline to Kang and then back home to Jhb. I will read Your report thx for the link.
    Francois

Francois, I need to be a little careful what I post concerning the Xade route as I have not actually done it myself. Fellow travellers I have spoken to in CKGR and many posts on this forum indicate that this route is exceptionally boring and sandy, apparently very few animals if at all. It is going to be a very, very long day from Passarge to Kang, particularly towing in that sand. Why do you particularly want to go home via Kang?

Perhaps rather consider doing the full "northern circuit", i.e. from Passarge to camps like Phokoje, Piper or Letlahau and then out at Matswere again. Have you ever stayed at Khama Rhino Sanctuary, to be reccommended as a stopover on the way home?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Francois, I need to be a little careful what I post concerning the Xade route as I have not actually done it myself. Fellow travellers I have spoken to in CKGR and many posts on this forum indicate that this route is exceptionally boring and sandy, apparently very few animals if at all. It is going to be a very, very long day from Passarge to Kang, particularly towing in that sand. Why do you particularly want to go home via Kang?

Perhaps rather consider doing the full "northern circuit", i.e. from Passarge to camps like Phokoje, Piper or Letlahau and then out at Matswere again. Have you ever stayed at Khama Rhino Sanctuary, to be reccommended as a stopover on the way home?

Baie goeie raad van Stan. Daardie pad vanaf Xade is DIK DIK DIK sand. en baie nou op party plekke, Jy krag jou voertuig. Die mooiste deel is die boonste deel.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Hi Francois,

We'll be in CKGR end of March as well.
    We're going solo with a Sat phone just in case - Sunday Pan, Lekhubu and Piper - 3 nights each.

Your dates?

2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 Tdci XLT DC Auto
    2007 Daihatsu Terios ​Sold
    2015 Ford Ranger DC XLS Sold
    2013 Land Rover Defender Pickup 90 LE - Savannah - Sold
    2007 Land Rover Defender Puma SW90 - Brutus - Sold

Default We also going

We will be in Sunday pan 17 - 20 March also 2 vehicles ( Prado,s) we rookies

Need i say more

Thanks for all the advise. My plan is to enter Botswana at Martins drift, stay over at Kama Rhino Sanctuary and then 3 days at Khumaga wild life camp(makgadigadi) then to CKGR via Maswere, deception pan, motopi and Passarge pan. The plan was then to go down to XADe and exit the park on the west and go south on the cutline sleep over on the cutline, then at Kang, from kang Home? The road from Passarge to XAde is that not good either? I thought the bad road is from Xade to Bape and Bape to Khutse?
    Francois

Dit is korrel. Maar vanaf Xade na Ghanzi is baie dik sand. Ook af met die snylyn as jy daardie hek gebruik.

Ek sal eerder weer uit by Matswere gaan of anders bo uit by Tsau hek na Ghanzi.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Ok dankie Elize sal dan miskien eerder terug deur Matswere gaan. My booking het bietjie verander is nou 30 Maart tot 1 April in Sunday pan no 4 en dan 1 -3 April by Piper pan no1. Hoop dis oraait staanplekke? Sien baie uit kan nie meer wag. Ek is ook by Khumaga vanaf die 28 -30 Maart sal ek moet ingaan by die noordelike grens of sal kan ingaan by die westelike grens wat nader aan Matswere is en nader van Kama waar ek my eertse aand slaap?
    Francois

Francois, as ek so mag se is die nuwe bespreekings veel beter as die oorspronklikes!

The temptation is to enter via Tau Gate from Khumaga rather than driving past it to Matswere Gate to get to Sunday Pan. However the roads in the park are quite slow and you will get to your camp much earlier if you stick to the tar to Matswere. You will cover this road in any case on the way to Piper Pan.

I estimate Sunday to Piper will take you about 9 hours, so I suggest a very early start. This is not the sort of area you want to set up camp in the dark.

There is an excellent chance that you will be "living amongst lions" both at Sunday no 4 and Piper 1. There is nothing more exhilarating in the bush. Just be on your toes after dark. At the end of the rains the very nutritious grasses on both Sunday and Piper Pans attract large numbers of grazers and of course the predators follow them. The lion prides lie up in the bush surrounding the pans during the heat of the day and in the evenings move towards the pans to hunt. The campsites are in the bush on the periphery of these pans. With any sort of luck you will be very aware of lion presence by sound and even by sight. Enjoy!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Default CKGR typical travelling times

Francios,

Below is a synopsis of our CKGR trip done in June 2012 detailing driving times and the routes travelled. We did the route in the reverse of what you're planning but you should get some good ideas of travelling times!

Overview:
    Pta - Lobatse - Kanye - Lethlakanye – Khutse - Xaka Waterhole - Piper Pan - Deception Camp - Sunday Pan - Leopard Pan - Deception Pan - Deception Camp - Kumaga - Bain's Boababs - Nxai Pans - Gweta - Kubu Island - Mathula - Pretoria

Distance Travelled - 2638Km

Time Travelled - 76h54m23s
    Average Speed - 32.32Km/h

Day 1 (Pretoria - Lobatse - Kanye – Molopelole – Lethlakeng – KPNP: Khutse)

Distance Travelled - 660Km
    Time Travelled - 12h11m01s
    Average Speed - 55.00Km/h
    Time Start - 5:38:44 AM

Time Stop - 5:49:45 PM

This was a hard day of driving only! Some shopping on the way but mostly pushing to reach Khutse.

Day 2 (Khutse Camp KPNP - Xaka Waterhole CKGR)

Distance Travelled - 199Km
    Time Travelled - 08h25m29S
    Average Speed - 23.41Km/h
    Time Start - 8:56:18 AM
    Time Stop - 5:21:47 PM

This was the hardest day of driving! I was warned before we left that on a push, we would JUST make it to Xade for our overnight stop. We ended up approx 60Km short (at least 2 hours!!) of Xade and decided to camp over at Xaka Waterhole. LONG day with no animal life to be spotted. Then again, we were absolutely focussed on the track (VERY thick sand with endless humps which restricted your speed to no more than 20~25km/h) and therefore would have missed any animals in any case. Not the best drive in my books! Xaka Waterhole was beautiful with plenty of birdlife!! Oh, my car got the most and worst "pin striping" in this section!

Day 3 (CKGR: Xaka Waterhole - Piper Pan)

Distance Travelled - 137Km
    Time Travelled - 05h32m13s
    Average Speed - 24.91Km/h
    Time Start - 11:26:30 AM
    Time Stop - 4:58:43 PM

Easy drive, from Xade gate to Piper about 80km's if I recall. Piper one of our highlights, awesome place! More "pin striping" in this section!

Day 4 (CKGR: Piper Pan - Deception Campsite)

Distance Travelled - 96Km
    Time Travelled - 03h35m41s
    Average Speed - 27.31Km/h
    Time Start - 10:50:52 AM
    Time Stop - 2:26:33 PM
    Easy drive, stopped plenty of times to admire and take in the scenery around us.

Day 5 (CKGR: Deception Camp - Sunday Pan - Leopard Pan - Deception Pan - Deception Camp)

Distance Travelled - 78Km
    Time Travelled - 04h40m00s
    Average Speed - 16.74Km/h
    Time Start - 10:50:52 AM
    Time Stop - 3:30:52 PM

Pure sightseeing drive with early coffee at Sunday Pan, snacks at Leopard Pan and pics at Deception pan. Awesome day!

Day 6 (CKGR: Deception Camp – Rakops (Fuel) – MPNP: Khumaga)

Distance Travelled - 165Km
    Time Travelled - 08h01m14s
    Average Speed - 20.63Km/h
    Time Start - 9:52:56 AM
    Time Stop - 5:54:10 PM
    Another easy and enjoyable day in the saddle. Stopped for fuel, drinks and groceries in Rakops. River crossing on the ferry is epic!!

Day 7 (MPNP: Khumaga Sightseeing)

Distance Travelled - 55Km
    Time Travelled - 04h00m00s
    Average Speed - 13.75Km/h
    Time Start - 10:00:00 AM
    Time Stop - 2:00:00 PM

Abundant animal life!! The camera's where working overtime!! Absolutely beautiful!

Day 8 (MPNP: Khumaga – NPNP: Bain's Boababs - Nxai Pans)

Distance Travelled - 104Km
    Time Travelled - 05h26m53s
    Average Speed - 18.91Km/h
    Time Start - 10:03:30 AM
    Time Stop - 3:30:23 PM
    Another easy and enjoyable day in the saddle. Plenty to see and stopped a lot.

Day 9 (Nxai Pans Sightseeing)

Distance Travelled - 36Km
    Time Travelled - 02h00m00s
    Average Speed - 18.00Km/h
    Time Start - 12:00:00 PM
    Time Stop - 2:00:00 PM

Sitting at the waterhole with the lions, giraffes, elephants and other smaller buck, hours on end!

Day 10 (NPNP: Nxai Pans - Gweta - Kubu Island)

Distance Travelled - 225Km
    Time Travelled - 09h50m54s
    Average Speed - 22.88Km/h
    Time Start - 6:43:08 AM
    Time Stop - 4:34:02 PM
    Probably my highlight of the trip!! Navigating between Kubu and Gweta (and the 100's tracks splitting the whole time) made it really something else. Scenery varied the whole way and stopped often. Kubu is something else!!
    Day 11 (Kubu Island Sightseeing)

Distance Travelled - 53Km
    Time Travelled - 02h30m00s
    Average Speed - 21.20Km/h
    Time Start - 12:00:00 PM
    Time Stop - 2:30:00 PM
    Day 12 (Kubu Island – RSA)

Distance Travelled - 485Km
    Time Travelled - 06h38m48s
    Average Speed - 73.15Km/h
    Time Start - 8:14:47 AM
    Time Stop - 2:53:35 PM
    Very easy drive and could have pushed through to PTA if we wanted, which would have made this a long day. Tar roads in Bots are really good.

Hope this helps.
    Hilux D/C Raider D-4D Auto

Thank you all for the good and detailed advise.

James your travel times will definitely help me a lot.
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    Ok dankie Elize sal dan miskien eerder terug deur Matswere gaan. My booking het bietjie verander is nou 30 Maart tot 1 April in Sunday pan no 4 en dan 1 -3 April by Piper pan no1. Hoop dis oraait staanplekke? Sien baie uit kan nie meer wag. Ek is ook by Khumaga vanaf die 28 -30 Maart sal ek moet ingaan by die noordelike grens of sal kan ingaan by die westelike grens wat nader aan Matswere is en nader van Kama waar ek my eertse aand slaap?
    Francois, jy gaan in die Makgadi in by Khumaga oor die Boteti, aan die westekant. Ek sal net die noordelike hek, Phududu aanbeveel as die rivierkruising moeilik of gevaarlik is. Hopelik is die ferry nog operasioneel, ek weet nie waar die vlak van die Boteti tans staan nie. In April laasjaar was die rivier al baie laag, daar was 'n baie diep kanaal wat maak dat mens nie kon deurry nie. Die ferry het ons omtrent 20 m van die oorkantste wal afgelaai en ons moes tot by die wal ry in sulke kniediep water.

Ons het seker so 8h00 uit Khumaga gery en het baie gesukkel met die ferry, nog seker 'n uur in Rakops vir brandstof en water en ons was 2h00 in Deception pan. Dus 'n redelike maklike dag.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Francois, jy gaan in die Makgadi in by Khumaga oor die Boteti, aan die westekant. Ek sal net die noordelike hek, Phududu aanbeveel as die rivierkruising moeilik of gevaarlik is. Hopelik is die ferry nog operasioneel, ek weet nie waar die vlak van die Boteti tans staan nie. In April laasjaar was die rivier al baie laag, daar was 'n baie diep kanaal wat maak dat mens nie kon deurry nie. Die ferry het ons omtrent 20 m van die oorkantste wal afgelaai en ons moes tot by die wal ry in sulke kniediep water.

Ons het seker so 8h00 uit Khumaga gery en het baie gesukkel met die ferry, nog seker 'n uur in Rakops vir brandstof en water en ons was 2h00 in Deception pan. Dus 'n redelike maklike dag.
    Dankie dit sal baie beter vir my wees indien ek by Khumaga aan die westekant kan ingaan. Heelwat nader vanaf Kama Rhino Sanctuary.
    Francois

Also do not do the loops off the main routes when towing.

The particularly sticky areas are the loops around Deception Valley and Piper Pan where there is plenty of black cotton soil. Most of the main roads are sandier except around Passarge Pan perhaps.
    Just to add to this, whatever you do stay on the tracks. Don't be tempted to stray off them, you will bog down and stay down (apart from the obvious visual pollution you'll create).

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    Dankie dit sal baie beter vir my wees indien ek by Khumaga aan die westekant kan ingaan. Heelwat nader vanaf Kama Rhino Sanctuary.

Ek heg vir jou 'n foto aan van die Boteti in April 2012.

Die eienaar van die ferry se naam is Dawid en sy nommer is 00267 - 713 037 31.

Dit kan net goed wees vir jou beplanning om hom te bel en hoor wat die stand van die Boteti is en of die ferry nog loop.

Ek self is baie nuuskurig om te weet wat die vlak van die Boteti nou is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boteti and ferry.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	192888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferry ride.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	192889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drop off point.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	192890  
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by geraas View Post
    Hi Francois,

We'll be in CKGR end of March as well.
    We're going solo with a Sat phone just in case - Sunday Pan, Lekhubu and Piper - 3 nights each.

Your dates?
    Chances are good that we will camp together at Sunday as well as Piper. 30 31 March Sunday and 01 02 April Piper.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2013/02/03 at 08:50 AM.
    Francois

Default CKGR end of March

Hi Francois

Visited the area in March 2012. Indeed VERY thick sand between Ghanzi and Xade. Roads in the park not to bad, rather easy travelling. Only had rain on one afternoon. Followed the "kaplyn" from Xade towards Kang, easy going and could have travelled at 120km if you wanted to, but long grass and had to stop and clear radiators even with seed-nets fitted. Did not see any people, other vehicles or animals along the "kaplyn". Lions Sunday Pan.

Default Ckgr

Hi Francois,
    we're be in CKGR 10th March, entering at Matswere then staying in Kori, Passarge Valley and Sunday Pan. We'll be on our own, driving Toyota Landcruiser 76 S/W. Reading the posts above I'm getting a bit nervous about getting stuck. Will have a sat phone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast