Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Very very attractive Pajero

I thought I had a very attractive Pajero, but I was complete wrong. When I came out of the shopping centre this afternoon I saw a crowd standing around my Shorty. Well, I though that all my hard work is paying off. Wrong, the car almost burned out.

You see, I fitted my refurbished starter motor on Wednesday evening, took it around the block then, started it a couple of times and then parked it until this afternoon. Today, I decide to park my works bakkie and go and do some shopping with my Shorty. Stopped at the garage, filled it up and drove to Shoprite, not far. It started every time with no issues.

Parked it and went inside. And when I came out again I saw this crowd. I was told that smoke was everywhere, comming from underneath the engine bay, out of the scoops and all over. Cars next to my Shorty was moved and some shop owners started to evacuate their shops. So, it must have been bad.

Phoned a friend and he towed my Shorty home. After investigation I found the starter motor still very hot. Because I paid R944-00 for it to be refurbished on Wednesday I decided to go and call the owner of the Auto Elect shop. Took him to my place to see for himself that I connected the starter correctly (otherwise they will start with that blame story again). So, he removed it himself and took it with him to go and rebuild or replace.

He told me that it is no problem, he wil just replace it and that is when I said to him "Hellooo, replace it, sir? you have got no idea, this is an starter motor of a Gen 2 Pajero and not a Ford Cortina, you don't just find one at any shop"

Anyway, he will let me know early next week.

By the way, while we were towing it, I tried to start it as all the ignition lights still came on but no joy. Do you think something else could have been burned?

I asked this guy why there is no fuse to the starter motor from the battery for instances like this and he replied that only Izuzus comes out with a fuse between the battery and the starter motor.

Now, can that be true?

Renier
    Last edited by Mitsu Bushy; 2013/01/25 at 05:15 PM.
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

Default Very very attractive Pajero

Eish Renier.
    Hurry up & get that blister fender.
    That shorty will be the death of you one day...

It's OK, you have 2, for redundancy I suppose
    Discovery 2 V8 XS
    Range Rover Sport SDV8

Sorry to hear, not so lekker!

Default Wat drink jy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Eish Renier.
    Hurry up & get that blister fender.
    That shorty will be the death of you one day...
    What, are you snottered already and its only twenty past five.

My Shorty is bakgat, its only when someone else do work on it. But don't worry, I will get it going again, soon. Here is my chance to get it rewired completely, poor Auto Elect, I feel sorry for him (well, he started it)
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.

Renier, don't feed the Toyota troll (even though we still like him)
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Quote Originally Posted by Renier.deJongh View Post
    (well, he started it)
    excellent PUN!

Smoke like that means heavy current pulled. Can be many reasons but my first thought is a stuck solenoid or broken carbon brush(es) that powdered and shorted the solenoid contacts.

I would also take the battery to have it tested as it could have bent some plates on a cell. Also check your starter ring gear to see if the starter did not engage and became a Dremel, grinding away some of the teeth. This happened to me once on an oil puddle with metal around.

I would also replace the earth and the live cables from the battery to the starter motor as these would have became very hot.

Just let your starter motor man know you are going to have these checked and any replacements will be for his account.

wow Renier, you're lucky that there wasn't worse damage.
    hope you get it sorted....... ( sure you will)

Sorry to hear Renier,hope all turns out for the better.That shorty still looks o so awesome.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Default Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    excellent PUN!

Smoke like that means heavy current pulled. Can be many reasons but my first thought is a stuck solenoid or broken carbon brush(es) that powdered and shorted the solenoid contacts.

I would also take the battery to have it tested as it could have bent some plates on a cell. Also check your starter ring gear to see if the starter did not engage and became a Dremel, grinding away some of the teeth. This happened to me once on an oil puddle with metal around.

I would also replace the earth and the live cables from the battery to the starter motor as these would have became very hot.

Just let your starter motor man know you are going to have these checked and any replacements will be for his account.
    Thanks guys, appreciate.
    And mygoggie, thanks for this good advice. Now I am worried big time as I tried to start it whilst being towed and I've released the cluth in second gear with the ignition on. I mean, I was very stupid to do that. I did that because you can not push that Shorty up in driveway, to much of an incline.

Because after he removed the starter that little gear didn't/couldn't turn. So now I'm off to my favourate spot under my Shorty, to get some peace of mind (or pieces of iron).

I will change those cables anyway, thanks for the advice.
    I've measured the voltage on the battery and it was 13.4V.

Eish, but anyway, doesn't matter what is wrong, I will fix it because that little baby was build up with my own two hands and I will not let this get me down. I mean,there was a Fortuner standing at the same Auto Electrician that apparently went to a car wash and when they started it after the engine cleaning episode the thing burned all the wires in the engine bay, and dash.

So, mine is not so bad, only a melted starter. (and maybe damaged ring gear, will let you know)
    Last edited by Mitsu Bushy; 2013/01/25 at 08:12 PM.

Default No damage on ringgear

Ijust had a quick look at my Shorty's ringgear and from the section that I can see it looks like that there is no damage, only the 200k kms wear & tear. (I might be wrong)

I think that when it was parked and the starter burned it was not engaged to the ringgear and when I tried to start it, the ringgear was free.
    It did not start but yes, I will get there once the starter is back. Maybe fuses or electronic boxes or stuff

I tried to turn the engine but the fan is free (Viscous still working, good news)and the only way you can turn the engine will be with a spanner on the pulley bolt or something.
    I don't like electrical faults because you can not see what is cooking, only smell it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	191528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	191529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	191530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	191531  
    Last edited by Mitsu Bushy; 2013/01/25 at 09:12 PM.

Goeie magtag Renier jy is lucky chomma!

Hoop hy is beter vinnig!

Renier, het jy nie 'n klonkie wat net vir jou 'n spanner op die alternator kan sit en die engine draai nie? Draai net stadig kloksgewys. Ek sal rustiger slaap as ek weet jy het die ringgear deurgekyk. Merk net die begin met Tipex of wit bordkryt anders gaan jy draai en draai en later wens jy was dronk voor die tyd.

Ek twyfel of jy 'n solenoid of fuse geblaas het. Sal later op my Noddy loop kyk of ek kan sien of daar enige iets anders mag wees.

Neem jou battery laat hulle net 'n load test doen, want dan kan mens sien wat die battery se toestand is. Jy wil rerig nie die starter terugkry en dan moet jy nog R2500 uithaal vir 'n battery as dit so tjoi tjoi nie.

Net bly jou wa lyk nog goed onder!

What, are you snottered already and its only twenty past five.
    Shame, he does not understand the Gen2 Shorty fever...

lucky things were not worse, good luck and I hope he is running again soon
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Renier, het jy nie 'n klonkie wat net vir jou 'n spanner op die alternator kan sit en die engine draai nie? Draai net stadig kloksgewys. Ek sal rustiger slaap as ek weet jy het die ringgear deurgekyk. Merk net die begin met Tipex of wit bordkryt anders gaan jy draai en draai en later wens jy was dronk voor die tyd.

Ek twyfel of jy 'n solenoid of fuse geblaas het. Sal later op my Noddy loop kyk of ek kan sien of daar enige iets anders mag wees.

Neem jou battery laat hulle net 'n load test doen, want dan kan mens sien wat die battery se toestand is. Jy wil rerig nie die starter terugkry en dan moet jy nog R2500 uithaal vir 'n battery as dit so tjoi tjoi nie.

Net bly jou wa lyk nog goed onder!
    Dit gaan nie werk om n spanner op die alternator te sit en die engine so te probeer draai nie, die v-belt gaan net oor die pulley's gly en jy gaan die alternator seermaak of daai bout afbreek!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sit n socket en powerbar op die crank pulley en draai die engine so baie makliker....

Sterkte ek soek ook nog engine parte vir n vriend van my se pajero 3.0l V6
    2006 Colt Rodeo 2800 TDi D/C 4x4

I also had the starter on my Pajero redone last year November, cost a whole R400!
    Last week I was in town and it didnt want to start. I tought that they did a crappy job but it turned out the wire from the battery going to the starter has been damaged by friction and thus arcing on the body. This led to the starter heating up and not wanting to turn. Replaced the wire, solenoid on the starter and the terminals on the battery. Its fine now.

Then, the next day the front brakepads started screaming- obvously it was time for some new brakes. The price for a set of front pads plus skimming and fitting = R800.

I have had this Pajero for 3 years now and its close to 300 000km and its just amazing how cheap its been to maintain. What a pleasure.

Touch wood!

Default All checked

Some feedback,
    I've check the entire ring gear all round and it seems to be bakgat.(not like a capie, all the teeth are there)

I've charged the battery to full and left it for a day, then tested it and is was sitting at 13.2 Volts, so it seems bakgat as well. (for now anyway)

Now I am just waiting for the starter to come back (and I will make the auto elect fit it for me to avoid blame fixing) and then we take it from there.

I hope nothing else got cooked.

Voorspoed Renier, hoop daar is niks verder fout nie
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Some feedback,
    I've check the entire ring gear all round and it seems to be bakgat.(not like a capie, all the teeth are there)
    So you have a shorty without passion ...

Glad all is good!

Still need to replace those cables.

There is nothing else I could see in the wiring diagram (below) or in my Paj that you need to worry about.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Sorted

My Shorty "Goedkoop Gerda" is sorted again. Bakgat, spekeries, piekfyn and perfect.
    The auto elect replace the starter with a brand new one and appologised for the inconvenience he caused me. And he admitted is was the wrong coil on the starter that caused the meltdown. He actually send one of his workers to come and install it for me.

That Gerda'tjie runs like a brand new, out of the factory Pajero again. One thing is for sure, they are very very easy to work on.

What have I've learned from this

Well, when a electrical item needs repairs, compair the cost and rather replace it with a new item and always park between other vehicles, because if something like this happens, they care about your vehicle big time.(for some reason)

Thanks for your support and advise guys, now I will be at 4X4Megaworld track again this weekend. (just to check if the starter motor issue didn't effect my two diffs)
    Last edited by Mitsu Bushy; 2013/01/28 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast