Ford 2.5TD towing a caravan

Default Ford 2.5TD towing a caravan

Hi, I would like your expert inputs please.

We are considering moving from our off-road trailer to a off-road caravan. I am not considering the smaller Oryx, Xcape, Chobe etc as these only have 2 beds. I need at least 3 beds or then space to create a third bed.
    So I am down to the caravans, of which the Commander looks the best due to its lighter weight and lower basic price as opposed to the competition.

My question is how will my small 2.5TD handle a heavy caravan on tar, dirt roads and mild off-road?

We've already decided, even with the lightweight trailer not to tow in extreme areas, so I have no intention to take the caravan to Khaudum sand etc. Our holiday destinations for now are the likes of Khutse, Namibia dirt roads, Kgalagadi, Richtersveld and SA off the beaten track.

Any owners of 2.5TD that are towing "heavy" off-roaders?

I have towed my explorer with my Ford 2.5 d 4x4 with no problems but for the heavier going I use my Prado 4 litre.

I tow an Exclusive albeit on tar roads only. Should you decide to take it easy and use the gearbox liberally and NEVER tow in 5th gear and install a turbo protector, the Ford will give good service.
    Expect to work hard behind the steering wheel and budget for +- 6.5 to 7km/l.
    If youre impatient by nature and in a hurry to get from point a to point b, then rather get a petrol towcar.

Helenus, I wil relate to you my experience when deciding on a trailer/caravan.

For me it is important to sleep well when on holiday and also not to be too inconvenieced in that regard. The typical trailer top beds on most off road trailers thus did not appeal to me and also the fact that you have very little covered space with most off road trailers.

I then had a look at the available off road caravans. I was disappointed in the relative lack of space in relation to the purchase price and weight of caravans in general.

We then happen to stumble upon the Camptech Camper at an outdoor show and immediately fell for it. It has a lovely double bed which is accessible from trailer floor level, it has another almost double bed space underneath and the extra front tent with a lot of space. The kitchen is fully enclosed, which help a lot in windy conditions and best of all, it only weighs 380kg. The chassis is galvanised and the body is very thick glass fibre. I have towed it all over and we will not swop it for anything else.

Towing weight is very important to me, even if you're not going into extreme situations. I tow with a Land Cruiser 4500 which is probably one of the best in this regard and still weight remains a factor.

This is my 2cents worth and I hope it will help you in making a decision.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Just add on to what Damdan said, turbo protector is a good idea as is more frequent gearbox and diff oil changes and dont use the 5th gear. (tranny oils changes every 20k at least) If you towing a trailor, you MUST fit a EGT gauge to your vehicle!

SAC offer a bigger intercooler with power up to 98kw if you need it.
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Thanks Guys for your input so far.

Bryan, a few stupid questions, what is a EGT and where can I get it? Or is a EGT and turbo protector the same?
    I do not really want to go the SAC route, the Ford is still under warranty.

Damdan, I think am the slowest driver that I know. In my Ford with the trailer I never go over 110, not towing never over 130.

Helenus, I see Bryan has not responded yet so here goes:

EGT is exhaust gas temperature and is an indication of what goes on inside your engine in terms of fuel being combusted in order to give you power. It is generally accepted that anything over 700 deg C is getting dangerous and will lead to engine damage in the long run.

When putting a diesel engine under prolonged stress ( as when towing uphill in hot weather), the EGT's might go above 700 deg C and cause damage. Similarly a wrongly set injetor pump, blocked intercooler, leaking injectors etc can all cause this. With an EGT gauge fitted, especially with an audible alarm set at say 650 deg C, you will immediately notice this and can then tap off accordingly, preventing some expensive damage. All the above is especially relevant on turbo diesels.

A turbo protector is something which will supply oil to the turbo for a while after the engine has been switched off, since a turbo takes a while to come to a complete standstill after the engine has been switched off. If you have been driving hard, the turbo will be very hot and then just switching off without idling down can cause lack of lubrication on the turbo bearings.

Hope this explains it
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Thanks Francois, very good explenation!

It makes sense, and I will definately consider. Where do I go to fit these?

Turbo protector called Turbo-Safe from Cirrus Coolers at R1380. (price two months ago).

Default Caravan Towing

Helenus, your 2.5td has more than enough power to handle the size of caravan you are looking at. I own a Jurgens Penta which is on the larger and heavier scale of the caravan market. Before I bought my Colt in July I drove a 2005 Mazda Drifter 2.5 td (2x4) and we towed to Kruger and the lowveld without any problems.
    Take a walk through any caravan park and you will see plenty Fords and Mazda 2.5td's used as tow vehicles for every caravan imaginable.

Most important to remember when you are towing is that a caravan is not a trailer, it is heavy, has a lot of wind resistance and can most definitly swing your vehicle around no matter what you drive.
    Therefor on tar keep speeds between 90-110. Your holiday starts when you climb into your car and not when you arive at your destination so no need to hurry.
    I would also strongly recommend a stabiliser for towing on tar as this dampens swaying of the rig significantly. A Yellow Blade, Tando or Trapezium are all good available at any caravan dealer.

How your vehicle will handle the caravan off-road I don't know but I am sure it will be up to the task.

Hope this helps, I am off to Port Edward tomorrow with my Penta in tow for three weeks of sun, fishing, golf and bliss. Cheers

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

4ePajero Guest

Hope this helps, I am off to Port Edward tomorrow with my Penta in tow for three weeks of sun, fishing, golf and bliss. Cheers
    Off-topic (but nice!):

Golf! Now that is the way to spend a holiday!
    Last edited by 4ePajero; 2007/11/10 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Brain fart!

Ek het nou nog nooit met 'n 2.5TD Ford van die pad af gegaan nie, maar ek het al baie kere oor die 2.5ton gesleep met verskeie 2.5TD Rangers.

Sy wringkrag en rat verhoudinge is baie goed t.o.v. sleep.

Steves auto does the EGT guage also try www.turbologix.co.za depending on where you are.
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Why not just fit the EGT yourself, very easy if you have some mech knowledge. Just goto a exhaust place and ask them to weld a lug into the manuafold after they drill it. They'll charge for the exhaust gasket and time, I'd remove the manufold to do the work to keep the system clean, you wire it up to the ciggy wiring and fit into the coin holder to the right of the steering, works like a charm.

As for the turbo protect, just learn to drive the diesel properly and save money for other items like the tyre pressure monitor system, would think for towing it would be a nice safety add on.

Stock the Ford 2.5TD does not need a bigger cooler for towing, if however you want a bit more power then go for it, best cash I ever spent on my Supercab.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

ZGo to your local caravan dealer & ask the to do a test drive with it & see how it handles.

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"