Defender Vibration sorted...

Default Vibration sorted...

This week end I was travelling in the Landy on the freeway and noticed a distinct vibration under power. On coasting the vibration went away. I thought it must be the universal joints, so I took the front prop off (with a lot of cussing to get the bolts off... Why 9/16 ths and not metric slays me!)

I could feel that the UJ at the transfer box end had some play and the dif end ever so little.

I also dropped the rear prop and there is no play in the UJ's

Look at the pics below. This is the UJ that had the most play. Two of the bearing caps had grease and the other two were bone dry. On the one dry cap, the bearings fell out, and the other dry cap there were no bearings
    The UJ + piece was also signficantly worn on the dry ends

I have heard that if you grease the UJ's on the vehice, there is a good chance only two caps will receive grease. The correct way is to remove the prop and grease on the bench and ensure that grease comes out of all the seals. Will be doing this from now. To help with future removal, I have replaced the High Tensile bolts with metric size 14 on the UJ's except for the Handbrake side where I just replaced the Nuts with metric size 14

Hope this can be of some reference to those that want to replace or service their UJ's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02882.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	191131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02883.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	191132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02887.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	191133  
    Last edited by Defender TAZ; 2013/01/25 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Bolt size 14 not 15
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

Thanks Edwin!
    I should check mine, never have
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Hi Edwin

When refering to "metric", are you meaning changing the finer thread high tensile strength bolt to standard metric ("course") thread. I would not recommend that as it should be high tensile and the finer thread ensures also "better" tightening and will not loosen too easily. The engineers usually have a very good reason for using the specific fasteners. All proper nuts-and-bolt places keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    Hi Edwin

When refering to "metric", are you meaning changing the finer thread high tensile strength bolt to standard metric ("course") thread. I would not recommend that as it should be high tensile and the finer thread ensures also "better" tightening and will not loosen too easily. The engineers usually have a very good reason for using the specific fasteners. All proper nuts-and-bolt places keep them.
    Problem is no one carries the spanner to loosen the standard bolts. It's imperial, not metric
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    Hi Edwin

Metric and imperial refers to the head size of a bolt/nut. As mentioned, most guys only carry metric sized tools, which would make it difficult/impossible to remove a bolt/nut of imperial size.
    Alvin

2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8 ES Auto - Me
    2010 Hyundai i20 1.6 - SWAMBO
    1996 Toyota Tazz 1.3 - "Pool" car

Kobus, the thread on the bolts remains the same, so no worries there. Ben, I popped into Independant4x4 and they showed me the tool they use to remove the bolts. It is a long reach No14 socket. The fitting is a 3/8 inch. This allows the socket to slide between the yokes and fit nicely onto the bolt head
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Defender TAZ View Post
    Kobus, the thread on the bolts remains the same, so no worries there. Ben, I popped into Independant4x4 and they showed me the tool they use to remove the bolts. It is a long reach No14 socket. The fitting is a 3/8 inch. This allows the socket to slide between the yokes and fit nicely onto the bolt head
    Interesting. I could never get a 14 to fit there. Carry a 15 spanner with me now, but on some of the bolts its too big, and strips it.
    Need something between a 14 and a 15 metric.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    Problem is no one carries the spanner to loosen the standard bolts. It's imperial, not metric

I carry 2 of them, but they have been used on a lot of peoples cars, as Iím the exception on the rule.
    Johan de Wet
    VHF - ZUS 2761
    29Mhz - ZRF 430
    Club Call Sign F55
    Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 SE (Hot Stuff)
    Towing a Conqueror Commander (Trailer Trash)

Upgraded from:
    Land Rover Defender TDi D/C (Garfield)
    Land Rover Defender TD5 CSW (Mort)

Why would it help to take off the prop and then grease it? How will that ensure that the grease will go to al 4 caps? I've also noticed the grease doesnt go to al 4 caps when greasing. How long does UJ's average last? Mine is only +- 30 000km